Can you eat beef and still be a "Hindu?"

If you eat beef, can you still be considered a "Hindu?"

• Total voters

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Most religions have taboo on what one can eat or what one cannot and how such foodstuff requires a certain ritual that some religions insist on.

However, they were applicable in those times, when there must have been good reasons to do so.

However, with modern methods of livestock rearing, these taboos have apparently lost its meaning of those times.

Therefore, it is up to to individual decide for oneself, more so since religion has become most liberal in approach in quite a few religions.

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned
Most religions have taboo on what one can eat or what one cannot and how such foodstuff requires a certain ritual that some religions insist on.

However, they were applicable in those times, when there must have been good reasons to do so.

However, with modern methods of livestock rearing, these taboos have apparently lost its meaning of those times.

Therefore, it is up to to individual decide for oneself, more so since religion has become most liberal in approach in quite a few religions.

we used to discuss this topic very frequently........ and we finally decided, there is a difference between cows of India and that of western countries :ranger:.

also, no need to worry for any belief if its common on any place. also, i maintained a policy that, if something is offered to eat then i never refused, even if liver/kidney of different animals were served during drinks in parties.......

bennedose

Contrary to popular belief, 60% of Indians are meat eaters. That means 600 million meat eaters. And this is increasing. Beef consumption among Hindus is admittedly low but more common in the east and south than the north. Hindus do not define themselves as "Hindu" by the name of their god, their prophet/human religious leader or their diet. I eat beef. But I like pork much more. I rank meats by taste as pork better than chicken better than beef better than seafood better than mutton, which I like the least. I have not tasted veal or horse meat. Snails gave me diarrhea. I personally dislike sea food. We are vegetarians at home and I am most definitely Hindu.

In the UK, at restaurants where we ordered steak, the waiter would ask "Rare, medium or well done?" and we would reply "Cremated. We are Hindus"

Regarding meat that Hindus eat, do you prefer halal or jhatka? The latter is more humane in my view and it is nonsense to believe that an animal whose throat is cut will lose all its blood. Some blood stays in anyway.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually in India iti is goats that are served. But it is fancy to call. It lamb since in the West lamb is what is eaten.

In some parts of Spain, goats are eaten

Likewise in the Middle East, it is goats which is preferred

hello_10

Tihar Jail
Banned
Actually in India iti is goats that are served. But it is fancy to call. It lamb since in the West lamb is what is eaten.

In some parts of Spain, goats are eaten

Likewise in the Middle East, it is goats which is preferred

you may still get frozen goat but, lamb is too good in western countries. and thats what i also tried to say, whatever is popular locally, we finally find good, (even beef). as its made in mass in different farms, different parts of lamb is served for the purpose of different types of cooking etc......

similarly i even found that watching Hollywood movies is more interesting as compare to Bollywood in western countries. i saw hardly 4-5 hindi movies in between 2002 to 2011, and got habituated to watch only hollywood movies, as per their popularity discussed in local news .....

t_co

Contrary to popular belief, 60% of Indians are meat eaters. That means 600 million meat eaters. And this is increasing. Beef consumption among Hindus is admittedly low but more common in the east and south than the north. Hindus do not define themselves as "Hindu" by the name of their god, their prophet/human religious leader or their diet. I eat beef. But I like pork much more. I rank meats by taste as pork better than chicken better than beef better than seafood better than mutton, which I like the least. I have not tasted veal or horse meat. Snails gave me diarrhea. I personally dislike sea food. We are vegetarians at home and I am most definitely Hindu.

In the UK, at restaurants where we ordered steak, the waiter would ask "Rare, medium or well done?" and we would reply "Cremated. We are Hindus"

Regarding meat that Hindus eat, do you prefer halal or jhatka? The latter is more humane in my view and it is nonsense to believe that an animal whose throat is cut will lose all its blood. Some blood stays in anyway.
If you've been ordering your steaks well-done, no wonder you think beef tastes disgusting, lol

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
And as I said before, rich societies which grow and evolve towards non-violence and that would include non-violence against animals. So people adopting vegetarianism in the west are doing it not just because it is energy efficient but because of their love for animals.
So according to you, eating animal cells (which are alive) is immoral, while eating plant cells (which are also alive) is okay?

bennedose

If you've been ordering your steaks well-done, no wonder you think beef tastes disgusting, lol
Actually people in the west don't know how to eat beef. Still, they manage to eat a lot. The best beef I have eaten is Vietnamese-Indian style "biftek" that used to be served in restaurants in Pondicherry. Don't know about Chinese beef preparations - Chinese food is good but I never discovered what I was eating.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A well cooked meat product saves you from worms and parasites..

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
So according to you, eating animal cells (which are alive) is immoral, while eating plant cells (which are also alive) is okay?
Actually most vegetarians refuse meat out of belief a that animals are sentient being too .

P.S: The plant/animal cell argument if extended further would endorse cannibalism too.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Are plants alive when they are plucked from the mother plant?

I wonder if animals are eaten alive.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
If "Killing animals" is the logic behind being vegan, it is absurd. Why "kill plants" then?

Either utilize the entire food chain or be a scavenger. Staunch Jains don't eat onion, ginger, garlic etc. as they are roots and uprooting them would kill the plant. Actually Jain philosophy is that not to even pick fruits/veg, but scavenge what has naturally fallen off the tree/plant.

And another point is that most of the livestock which are butchered for meat, are bread to be butchered (Something which sometimes out politicians think about our soldiers). If they are not butchered, then they would not be bread in the first place. So breeding, rearing and butchering an animal is simply the same as sowing, fertilizing and harvesting crop.

I've had encounter with some "Internet Hindus" who brought up the point that "Cow is like mother, would you eat your mother?". My answer was, "Nor would I leave my mother to scavenge from dustbins, get their tummy filled with plastic, which they can neither digest nor pass through the digestive system, which leaves them perpetually hungry and perpetually with a full stomach, till the time they die an agonizing death." If cow is really your mother, (pardon the second person, my mother comes from much higher up the food chain) then take care of her and help her live, instead of spewing religio-emotional bullshit.

(Pardon the aggressive tone, I carry a lot of baggage on this topic from various previous encounters)

bennedose

You only need to see one person with beef or pork tapeworm before you become choosy about how well your meat is cooked.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Have you tried the beef steak served at Olypub in Park Street? Always well done and then stir-fried in onion gravy, but tastes good none the less. It is said that the American GIs got this dish going for their own consumption during the Burma offensive against the Japs.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What's life without a little risk :lol:
Risk is fine.

But it has to be a calculated risk!

Remember how many pigs were reported to be floating down a Chinese river?

Would one eat those pigs?

Be it well done, medium rare or rare?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
NO, I don't eat beef in India.

They are usually those who are laid to pasture.

They are not prepared for the table.

I have eaten beef abroad, since I have never found gram fed mutton to my taste as I am used to eating goats.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
The point is to reduce the energy foot-print as much as possible.

I would agree with the post by @arnabmit:
Staunch Jains don't eat onion, ginger, garlic etc. as they are roots and uprooting them would kill the plant. Actually Jain philosophy is that not to even pick fruits/veg, but scavenge what has naturally fallen off the tree/plant.
Putting plant life at par with animal life is next milestone.

Last edited by a moderator:

t_co

Actually people in the west don't know how to eat beef. Still, they manage to eat a lot. The best beef I have eaten is Vietnamese-Indian style "biftek" that used to be served in restaurants in Pondicherry. Don't know about Chinese beef preparations - Chinese food is good but I never discovered what I was eating.
To each his own... I've eaten everything from well-done beef in onion sauce to steak tartare, and I've found nothing beats a 16 oz ribeye seared medium rare and swimming in peppercorn or madeira sauce...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You only need to see one person with beef or pork tapeworm before you become choosy about how well your meat is cooked.
You are right.

I saw a relative who had tapeworm in his brains and how he suffered.

Ever since, I have been careful, no matter what type of meat I eat.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles