Can you eat beef and still be a "Hindu?"

If you eat beef, can you still be considered a "Hindu?"

• Total voters

Bilal

Certain questions i have about hinduism that my friends here can answer:
1.Why is ghee and milk such an importany part of hinduism,is it because it induces power in the body or shakti as you call it.
2.Why is the cow held sacred?is it because it gives milk and then it is used to produce ghee?
3.True that milk is sattva in nature and meat is rajas but you need balance and that is important?

Maharaj

You also still haven't answered by question regarding why the Nizam of Hyderabad (a second-rate monarch) was able to rule the districts of Aurangabad, Nanded, Beed, and Parbhani districts in Marathwada, just a few kilometers from Pune and the Maratha homeland itself. Why couldn't the great Marathas annex Hyderabad State, whose borders encroached right onto their heartland?
The Nizams were defeated by Peshwa Baji Rao in early 18th century. After the defeat the Nizams agreed to pay the chauth of the Deccan to the Marathas and not to interfere with the Maratha expansion in northern India. At that time
the Marathas needed money for the military campaigns in northern India so Baji Rao decided not to establish Maratha
rule in the Nizam state.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Certain questions i have about hinduism that my friends here can answer:
1.Why is ghee and milk such an importany part of hinduism,is it because it induces power in the body or shakti as you call it.
2.Why is the cow held sacred?is it because it gives milk and then it is used to produce ghee?
3.True that milk is sattva in nature and meat is rajas but you need balance and that is important?
it's really very simple.

milk and milk products are good for health and provide necessary nutrients and vitamins for ones body.
Arabs and europeans don't have these large grass land so a gud deal for them is to kill cow and eat it to get protien but on the other hand we in india can cultivate almost 70% of the land and also the grass land are huge.so why kill cow when we can easily feed them and have milk and dairy products.

Meriv90

it's really very simple.

milk and milk products are good for health and provide necessary nutrients and vitamins for ones body.
Arabs and europeans don't have these large grass land so a gud deal for them is to kill cow and eat it to get protien but on the other hand we in india can cultivate almost 70% of the land and also the grass land are huge.so why kill cow when we can easily feed them and have milk and dairy products.
Just wanted to give you the official numbers:

We consume more milk than you,

Milk and milk products facts

More than 6 billion people worldwide consume milk and milk products; the majority of these people live in developing countries.
Since the early 1960s, per capita milk consumption in developing countries has increased almost twofold. However, the consumption of milk has grown more slowly than that of other livestock products; meat consumption has more than tripled and egg consumption has increased fivefold.
Over the last two decades, per capita milk consumption decreased in sub-Saharan Africa.
Per capita milk consumption is:
high (> 150 kg/capita/year) in Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Costa Rica, Europe, Israel, Kyrgyzstan, North America and Pakistan;
medium (30 to 150 kg/capita/year) in India, Islamic Republic of Iran, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, Mongolia, New Zealand, North and Southern Africa, most of the Near East and most of Latin America and the Caribbean
low (< 30 kg/capita/year) in China, Ethiopia, most of Central Africa and most of East and Southeast Asia
In South Asia, the consumption of milk and milk products is expected to increase by 125 percent by 2030.
In India, about 50 percent of milk is consumed on-farm.
Milk provides 3 percent of dietary energy supply in Asia and Africa, compared with 8 to 9 percent in Europe and Oceania; 6 to 7 percent of dietary protein supply in Asia and Africa, compared with 19 percent in Europe; and 6 to 8 percent of dietary fat supply in Asia and Africa, compared with 11 to 14 percent in Europe, Oceania and the Americas.
From Dairy production and products:�Milk and milk products

Second Europe has only 22% of Mountain territory, the rest is cultivable, even the hills (wine, olive, fruit etc.. etc..)

pmaitra

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Just wanted to give you the official numbers:

We consume more milk than you,

From Dairy production and products:�Milk and milk products

Second Europe has only 22% of Mountain territory, the rest is cultivable, even the hills (wine, olive, fruit etc.. etc..)
That is I guess is a very old post of mine :tongue: and I agree it is wrong.

bold part- 78% land of europe is not arable. I would like a source which proves your point.
Arable doesn't mean plain land. Arability depends on the soil. For eg In some parts of Delhi we have desert soil which is not good for growing crop because it can't hold water.
I would definitely like to see a source which says 70 percent of europe is arable.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Simple question. Yes or No answer.

I relish beef and pork and eat both almost on a daily basis.
with due apologies to all...

Very stupid question and very stupid answers... including some Marxist heroes on beef eating by hindus..

It is very common sense and logic ...

If you have a fixed deposit that yields sufficient interest to sustain you would you like to brake that FD ...??

Why should a society kill cows, buffalos, goats etc when those animals sustain your livelihood, your agriculture, your manure system, your seasonal cycles, your pasturage, your grass lands, balance the nature, your beasts of burden, your means to till the land and your means of heavy movements. These provided you hides, clothing, wool,
means of making weapons, medicines and norisment...

One must be mad to do that... when lots of other edible existed to feed oneself..

Today these animal do not fulfil those roles and have become a means of other means of profit generation...

as simple as that... religion is to enforce accepted social norms and not an instrument of irrelevance..

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Two mutually-unrelated points I want to make.

1. There is no holy scripture that talks specifically about not eating beef. There are definitions of the three main diets in Bharat: satvic (modest), tamsic (average), and rajsic (opulent). There are suggestions (not commandments) that you should avoid meats because it takes more resources to support a livestock than farming, and Bharat is a semi-arid place.
2. The reason beef is seen as poor-man's meat in India (and why social-justice activists are up in arms over beef-ban in certain states), is because beef trade is almost entirely conducted by the unorganized sector, and is barely regulated. There are close to zero government regulations on livestock management, slaughter, meat processing, and logistics. The meat shop in any two-bit small-town would still see a surprising amount of regulation in sourcing chicken and goats. I know this from a professional in the poultry industry. Telangana (particularly Nizamabad and Medak districts) is a poultry hub.

So if the government starts treating beef as a legitimate commodity, starts regulating its livestock cultivation, slaughter, processing, and logistics; then beef prices will actually shoot up to be >1.5x that of lamb/mutton per kg (and that would have nothing to do with demand).

Also, Hindus avoid pork not because of religious reasons, but hygiene. Indian vermin/stray pigs are unfit to be slaughtered for meat. You would have to import and breed pigs from western countries, and in protected areas that are isolated from the indigenous pigs. And then the entire pork supply chain must be monitored for quality and hygiene.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
:pft:

Q: Can you eat beef and still be a "Hindu?"

A: Yes. One can eat beef (or even a human being) and still be a "Hindu", (as far as he/she keep it secret.) :troll:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think Hindus can eat anything and still be a Hindu since none cares as to what the other guy is doing.

I had a Hindu classmate, and I am talking about the late 50s, who was an open beef eating variety of Hindu. None else really cared. It was his choice and he was not eating what he was eating at our expense and so none bothered what he ate.

The Muslim lady in the Food Show of NDTV goes ecstatic as she eats pork and sips wines. Who cares? She is merely doing her job and having a ball at that - and all for free! Lucky dame.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why this thread is running so long

I worked in an Org which dominated by Brahmins,90% brahmins in that org eat meat (parties/meetings etc) but never touch ONIONS in their home :lol: and I personally know 2 temple priests (brahmins) eat non-veg and do pujas in temple.

Of-course me&many of my friends eaten beef in Hyd college days (don't know it is cow/buffalo) but no family member aware of it.Except me, all are proud hindus :p
That is the wonder of Hinduism.

Be your Own Man.

That is why it has survived the ravages of time and history

Reactions: jus

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
Dude, this is the type of attitude that makes it very hard to recruit new followers to Hinduism. Be more tolerant. Do not be such a puritanical type.
At what cost and or change core fundamentals of DHARMA? On what authority? Then tomorrow same noobs had say yo lets eat cows? Please please convert to our religion we will give you tasty cows. Nice joke brother.

Blademaster

/At what cost and or change core fundamentals of DHARMA? On what authority? Then tomorrow same noobs had say yo lets eat cows? Please please convert to our religion we will give you tasty cows. Nice joke brother.
I know plenty of hindus that eat beef and still consider themselves as hindus and some of them live in India. They go to temples and pray to the gods. Not a lot but I do know some of them.

Vinash

Country flag
I know plenty of hindus that eat beef and still consider themselves as hindus and some of them live in India. They go to temples and pray to the gods. Not a lot but I do know some of them.
If self-identification is what makes a person Hindu, then the same logic should be extended to mentally ill idiots who use pronouns to describe themselves.

Tolerance in order to increase numbers is a very bad strategy. If you are ready to compromise on your core beliefs in order to increase numbers, you've already gone down a path that'll lead to the destruction of your ideology due to corruption of beliefs.

Vinash

Country flag
If someone in my family eats Beef, I'd cut them off from my life entirely.

On the inside I'd like to lynch them but I would restrain myself as I wouldn't want to sabotage my life at this stage.

It's slightly understandable if a Hindu who was born in America eats Beef as he's not raised in an environment that considers Cow to be sacred but it's 100% unacceptable for a Hindu raised in India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles