Can We Have A Thread Introducing The Moderators, Admins, Defence Prof & Others

john70

Country flag
Dear Administrators And Moderators,

First of all my thanks to you all for making this site a wonderful place.
I love being on this site and on starting my Laptop or Mobile phone this is the first which I access & this is no exaggeration.

I and Many Members would love to see small introductions which may not have the identity of that person, yet a small personal write up including his area of interest and some other traits maybe personally written by themselves.

These introductions can be of :
Administrators ♦ Moderators ♦ Defence Professionals ♦ Star Member ♦ Veteran Members ♦ Elite Members ♦ Ace Members ♦ Exemplar Members ♦ Senior Members ♦

The thread and others if added can be put together in "KNOW YOUR FORUM" portion of this forum if it feels okay to you all.

The idea is to know you people more and communicate in much better way on this forum.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Good idea.

On your mark,set......................!

trackwhack

Hierarchy in any society causes more harm than good. There should only be one level of hierarchy in any modern society - the administrator and the administered. Neither should hold any privilege over the other. The only authority of the admin should be to enforce the law, not to interpret it but enforce it.

All this non-sense about elite members and star members cause too much bad blood. Further, perceptions are formed that often result in biased debates, apprehensive members not speaking their mind etc. Even the 'likes' option is bad. A new member joining the forum has already made judgements about other members based on these factors.

Afterall who are we trying to impress. This is an online forum. :cool2:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
he only authority of the admin should be to enforce the law, not to interpret it but enforce it.
How does one enforce a law without understanding it to interpret?

john70

Country flag
Hierarchy in any society causes more harm than good. There should only be one level of hierarchy in any modern society - the administrator and the administered. Neither should hold any privilege over the other. The only authority of the admin should be to enforce the law, not to interpret it but enforce it.

All this non-sense about elite members and star members cause too much bad blood. Further, perceptions are formed that often result in biased debates, apprehensive members not speaking their mind etc. Even the 'likes' option is bad. A new member joining the forum has already made judgements about other members based on these factors.

Afterall who are we trying to impress. This is an online forum. :cool2:
You do have a point here. Yet atleast our moderators and administrators should be introduced in my opinion. We as members would want to know them in their own words who they are and what they are trying to achieve here. Rest heirarchy is okay to be left to the wish of administrators.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
If you look carefully, you will find introduction of all mods and admins of this forum somewhere. If you want a fresh introduction, here is mine.

An Indian by birth (born in Hyderabad) residing in Italy doing research work on cancer. I stand for an equitable India where people are not discriminated by gender, caste, creed, color or religion. I stand for a meritocracy based system where hard working smart people are encouraged to lead the rest of the people. I stand for a system where each and every child is educated freely till high school (12th standard) and higher education can be achieved by both rich and poor through education loans.

As far as DFI concerned, according to my view, it stands for a platform where views, opinions, experience, wisdom, anecdotes about Indian defence, geo-politics, strategy, politics and society are discussed with room for discussion about other countries and other categories. We are a tolerant forum which accomodates extreme views on both right and left spectrum which doesn't border on sedition, terrorism or division of the country. We don't tolerate personal attacks, religious bigotry and terrorist sympathizers.

trackwhack

How does one enforce a law without understanding it to interpret?
By defining it well. This is an online forum, there are only so many rules that need to be set. They should be set such that an admin does not have to take a subjective call to interpret or implement the rules.

pmaitra

About me

Lived in:
  • WB, India
  • Bihar, India
  • Orissa, India
  • Kerala, India
  • Maharashtra, India
  • North Carolina, USA (current)

Languages (in order of usage):
  • English
  • Hindi
  • Bengali
  • Oriya
  • German

Professional:
Mathematical modeling, statistics, machine learning, intelligent and interactive systems (detection, recognition, tracking in bio-medical, surveillance, and defense datasets), data analysis, visualization, integration.

Interests:
  • White water rafting.
  • Rifle shooting.
  • Model trains.

Political Orientation:
Left of Centre

On DFI:
  • Affording everyone the right to his or her own opinion.
  • Encouraging objective and to the point discussion.
  • Countering rhetoric with rhetoric.
  • Playing the devil's advocate when most posters tend to agree, to stimulate debate.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
I never opened a introduction thread, can i open one now .... :high5:

P.S: I am a 19 year old, currently a 3rd year college student interested in Biorobotics and Psychology ... and weapons :)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Devoted in defense matters and like to debate with fellow country men here..

john70

Country flag
The Idea is to have a permanent place of introduction of them, so that new members are oriented to them. This is just one of the ways to make the forum more interactive and having a personal touch.

Country flag
from an old thread -

Re: Applications for NEW DFI moderators
1. your username on DFI
LETHALFORCE

2. HOW and WHEN you registered on DFI?
FEB 2008 I am a founding member, I was invited by other founding members specifically-Nitesh our administrator

3. ANY previous experience of moderating a forum
I been on 4 other forums, not as a moderator but many members know me here and where including many moderators for almost last 4-5 years

4. your time zone and when are you most active on DFI?
I am here in and out all day but I could easily fit in the USA zone 2pm-10pm or even 9am to 7pm i am flexible.

5. how many hours per day/per week you can spend on the job?
i am here daily but i can spend 10-12 hours a day

6. why do you want to apply for the job and your own added data as you think fit
I have extensive experience in forums and i have military background, I know many members. I feel i am at a maturity level where i can help maintain the high standards our forum was founded on, I share the goals and ideals of the administrators and moderators since i was here from the beginning I know what direction we want to go with the forum and I share the same visions.

7. if you are applying for section mod do not forget to appy for which forum section you want to moderate and why? , my top choices are Land/forces,Naval,Indian subcontinent,WMD i am most active in these areas on the forum,but I am flexible. I have extensive knowledge of the areas I have mentioned and created most of the threads in these areas. I am applying for MOD position in any area.

criteria

selection will be based on some parameters which can be of help to you

1. your seniority on dfi < means the longer you are here reflected by not the joining date but by activity and number of posts >
I am here from the beginning of the forum Feb 2008, I started as a military pro the changed to DFI star status awaiting to be changed to a new military medic category once it is created.,My experience level 74 activity is 87% is in the top 3,I am in the top 3 in points 12,700+ on the forum, top 3 in threads started- 256 and top 3 in post- 3564 and 2nd in profile visits.-1270 +

2. your time zone < we would prefer usa/canada/australian time zone members>
I am in the US time zone

3. how dedicated you are towards dfi and how you might hep the forum
I am very dedicated,being a founding member I helped create many threads and invited many friends to join the forum, I have seen it grow from when we were 20 members to the 1400+ we are now,I share the goals and visions of the founding members,administrators and have always shared the vision of a higher quality defence forum, I have always said we will be the best Indian forum on the internet and I will work with the administrators,moderators and members to reach this goal.

My background

I was born in India a long time ago I came to USA with my mother and sister at age 5 in 1972. We lived in Upstate NY with my Father who came to USA in 1969. My Fathers job required a lot of travel and i would see him 2 weekends a month. At age 10 my Father got a job with more steady hours and we moved to NYC but we always kept the Upstate property. I went to school in NYC i graduated from High school with honors in Chemistry. I went on to attend college and received a professional degree,from there I served in the Gulf war at age 23 ,and returned to USA to work in a military hospital for 16 years. I left my military hospital job 5 years ago to start a buisness. Currently I have 3 different buisnesses I am self employed and leading a quiet family life.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ues/5825-applications-new-dfi-moderators.html

Last edited:

john70

Country flag
It gives me immense pleasure to show my respect and awe for such a person as you Lethalforce. My Salute too.

from an old thread -

Re: Applications for NEW DFI moderators
1. your username on DFI
LETHALFORCE

2. HOW and WHEN you registered on DFI?
FEB 2008 I am a founding member, I was invited by other founding members specifically-Nitesh our administrator

3. ANY previous experience of moderating a forum
I been on 4 other forums, not as a moderator but many members know me here and where including many moderators for almost last 4-5 years

4. your time zone and when are you most active on DFI?
I am here in and out all day but I could easily fit in the USA zone 2pm-10pm or even 9am to 7pm i am flexible.

5. how many hours per day/per week you can spend on the job?
i am here daily but i can spend 10-12 hours a day

6. why do you want to apply for the job and your own added data as you think fit
I have extensive experience in forums and i have military background, I know many members. I feel i am at a maturity level where i can help maintain the high standards our forum was founded on, I share the goals and ideals of the administrators and moderators since i was here from the beginning I know what direction we want to go with the forum and I share the same visions.

7. if you are applying for section mod do not forget to appy for which forum section you want to moderate and why? , my top choices are Land/forces,Naval,Indian subcontinent,WMD i am most active in these areas on the forum,but I am flexible. I have extensive knowledge of the areas I have mentioned and created most of the threads in these areas. I am applying for MOD position in any area.

criteria

selection will be based on some parameters which can be of help to you

1. your seniority on dfi < means the longer you are here reflected by not the joining date but by activity and number of posts >
I am here from the beginning of the forum Feb 2008, I started as a military pro the changed to DFI star status awaiting to be changed to a new military medic category once it is created.,My experience level 74 activity is 87% is in the top 3,I am in the top 3 in points 12,700+ on the forum, top 3 in threads started- 256 and top 3 in post- 3564 and 2nd in profile visits.-1270 +

2. your time zone < we would prefer usa/canada/australian time zone members>
I am in the US time zone

3. how dedicated you are towards dfi and how you might hep the forum
I am very dedicated,being a founding member I helped create many threads and invited many friends to join the forum, I have seen it grow from when we were 20 members to the 1400+ we are now,I share the goals and visions of the founding members,administrators and have always shared the vision of a higher quality defence forum, I have always said we will be the best Indian forum on the internet and I will work with the administrators,moderators and members to reach this goal.

My background

I was born in India a long time ago I came to USA with my mother and sister at age 5 in 1972. We lived in Upstate NY with my Father who came to USA in 1969. My Fathers job required a lot of travel and i would see him 2 weekends a month. At age 10 my Father got a job with more steady hours and we moved to NYC but we always kept the Upstate property. I went to school in NYC i graduated from High school with honors in Chemistry. I went on to attend college and received a professional degree,from there I served in the Gulf war at age 23 ,and returned to USA to work in a military hospital for 16 years. I left my military hospital job 5 years ago to start a buisness. Currently I have 3 different buisnesses I am self employed and leading a quiet family life.

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ues/5825-applications-new-dfi-moderators.html

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
All the older members know all the staff. But yes it would be nice thread to let their be an introduction to staff for the benefit of new sign ups.

I don't hide behind Internet anonymity. My handle is my name. From a small erstwhile village now town in Gujarat, was born there and moved down south to Bangalore where dad has a business. Been here all life. Engineer by education, businessman by choice and profession and avid interest in strategic and geopolitical affairs since I was in school.

Early interest in life was to be in the armed forces. I think if I had joined, I would have been the one and only Dawoodi Bohra to serve in armed forces ever as there is no history of anyone from my community serving in the armed forces. We are a business community and no one is even in the police :)

Once the plans to join the forces were in flames thanks to family pressure not to as it was not a tradition in the community to be in services and they never quite understand the pride of being in the armed forces, I thought id secretly work to get into intelligence agencies. That would have allowed me to have a dual life to show the family I was with them but then also serving tr country. Even that never happened as I could not figure out how I could join the agencies as its all to secreted. Never found anything on the web except that they recruit only from the IPS.

So I started a business and it's been 9 years. I am into import and no not from China and their cheap products.

I am a hawk as they say on matters of national interest security especially when it comes to China and Pakistan. I am pro US. I am a liberal.

I came to DFI when it was formed back in 2009 when I got an invite in another from called WAB. It was a humble beginning here where 10 odd people put in a lot of effort to keep the forum active. Became a mod soon.

DFI staff is as diverse as india is. People from all region and religions of India are in the staff. Everyone respects and appreciates each other in staff. Personal biases do not interfere in staff decisions which are democratic and go by vote. There is also a system in place so that no staff member can do anything unilateral which comes across as abuse of power. Well none from staff has ever attempted to be unilateral in the first place. DFI has tried it's best to keep itself neutral and provide a space for all to express their views and opinion within forum rules. We are an india centric and focussed forum but with open doors for others too and we do have a wider audience. Though many may not participate, we have 1500 guests at any time which shows we are being read.

At the end of last year, I became an admin following a shake up.

The forum has grown over the years. I have become very good friends with many. I make a conscious effort to seek to meet members of DFI because I keep traveling around on business. I have had the honor of meeting Brig Ray on three separate occasions in Kolkata. I have met DD, Rage,Ashdoc,Gk,Oracle,Shash,Tolaha,Sesha Maruthi.

I have spent long hours talking with Singh. Luckily phone rates are cheap. We have discussed a lot on how to improve the forum. Spent a lot of man hours chatting and mailing with Thakur, DD, Lurker on the same.

I have a lot of expectation from the forum. I keep saying this and will say again. As india grows, forums such as DFI could be a source of ideas in various fields. That's why we started the Indian defence and strategic analysis to allow independent writers to get a platform.

There is no doubt that we are being followed by Military, IPS, IAS and intelligence people. I happened to chat with Lt Gen Panag once and informed him about DFI. He said he regularly follows us though never posted. So I have no doubt we are having a good audience though not active. So it's imperative for those active to be at their best and come up with the best so that it helps us all.

Jai Hind!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Education:

Had the opportunity of going to some pretty competitive institutes in the country, right from schooling to PG. Mathematics was the subject I absolutely adored, and something that helped me in my professional career.

The choice of professional course, MBA, happened after I saw the dramatic change India started to go through economically back in the 90s, and the focus was clear by then.

Professional Career:

Had opportunities to work with some absolutely thoroughly professional brands. I owe it them to have made me, what I am today, the way I think and work on professional front, I absolutely do owe it to them. Made a humble start and rose through to head first zonal and then national level positions, but just when I thought the time was opportune to kick start a truly international career in terms of profile, things were to take a turn.

Forum Community:

I have been in the forum community for 6 years now, enjoyed being here. Started with, now defunct, Indian Defence Froum. Started out as a hardcore fanboy, who was absolutely never ready to listen to a counter argument, possibly a rub off from the highly competitive market we function in, in our jobs and businesses. Eased out, and soon realized, fanboys are rarely ever taken seriously, and also how biased I could be in my opinion. Changed the way I looked at things, and then realized, there can never be just one side to the coin.

IDF made me the moderator there, and then when IDF was replaced by NDR, the admins continued with me as the moderator.

DFI happened soon enough. Amar was to invite me over when there were just two people registered here, was offered a mod position, but I declined then because of my commitments to NDR, but soon enough I found myself spending more time here than elsewhere.

Sometime in May'09 Avijit, after consultations with others again offered me to join the staff as mod. Yusuf and I joined together as mods, we were promoted together as sup-mods, and eventually again together as admins of the site.

Vision:

I have a larger take at how this place needs to grow, won't share the details but you can be reasonably sure, DFI will in times to come be taken as a serious think tank not just in the online community but by the decision makers of the country, and I realize all that will require a lot of hard work and some absolutely fantastic planning. Give us a few years, if not more, we will be on it.

Interests:

I have very keenly discovered the spiritual side of me, and am absolutely enjoying the life I am leading far away from any irritation, anger, frustrations, jealousy, and more, and never I thought one could also lead a life like this.

Treks (possibly that comes naturally to us paharis), river rafting, paragliding, ice staking and so much more. And these days, after having again put on weight I am busy losing it, and to good effect. Always thought losing weight was a mind game.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I still have that mail exchange we had TR about the next level we want to reach!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The3Amigos China auto thread China 332
JaguarWarrior Russian civil aviation thread Europe and Russia 44
JaguarWarrior Russia auto thread Europe and Russia 926
JaguarWarrior Russia Ukraine conflict media thread Europe and Russia 86