Can MiG-29K?

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Can a Mig-29k can carry torpedos?

archie

Country flag
if it has been adopted to the standards technically yes.. but what use will it be when Mig 29k has no submarine detection features...

suny6611

Country flag
if it has been adopted to the standards technically yes.. but what use will it be when Mig 29k has no submarine detection features...
r u sure that torpedos r only for submarine !!!!

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Using slow moving limited range torpedoes, which can easily be picked off by target ship's self-defence systems, instead of antiship missiles, which due to its speed and terminal maneuverility has far better chance of hitting the traget, would be stupid to say the least. However, torpedos would work best against subs, but for that use of sonar to detect the sub and guide the torpedo is critical which obviously migs can not do.

archie

Country flag

Torpedoes are best to attack in stealth ..meaning they are launched from subs or Beyond horizon ships..

2 If you want to it ships from Air you have faster Anti shipping missile which is more effective than torpedos in that senario.. essentialy making them usefull only for subs

manindra

Country flag
Can a Mig-29k can carry torpedos?
Do MIG 29 K have Sub Detection features ?
If not then how can it would target the Subs ?
If can't target then why hang on pylons , to look cool ?

Illusive

Country flag
I thought Harpoon missiles were meant to be used against surface ships, not submarines.

But P8i also carries Mark 54 MAKO Lightweight Torpedos.
You're right, harpoon is antiship. I got confused it was used with sonobuoys :doh: . Had seen a image of how p8 hunts sub, haven't been able to find it.

Something similar to this.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Do MIG 29 K have Sub Detection features ?
If not then how can it would target the Subs ?
If can't target then why hang on pylons , to look cool ?
A submarine or asw ship can find other submarine at long distances.
so the sub or ship gives the information for the jets to scramble and on flight it gives exact region of submarine so jet can drop the torpedoes.

manindra

Country flag
A submarine or ASW warship detect the submarine through sonar so enemy submarine would be well within their range so, why would they take help from a fighter aircraft to shoot in a dark as you can't share sonar data through data link as fighter aircraft does not have fire control mechanism for this.
And pilot can't able to see submerged submarine so even it can't use ASHM for this.

archie

Country flag
A submarine or ASW warship detect the submarine through sonar so enemy submarine would be well within their range so, why would they take help from a fighter aircraft to shoot in a dark as you can't share sonar data through data link as fighter aircraft does not have fire control mechanism for this.
And pilot can't able to see submerged submarine so even it can't use ASHM for this.
Range of detction is not gaurenteed .. it depends on wavelength of sound and facors of salt concentation in the water at dfrent depths and tempratures.. its similar to light bending through glass..

Use of Mig 27 for that which is fast moving is a waste thats why helicopters are given the task.. they can hover and wear down a lurking sub

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOFAR_channel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocline

manindra

Country flag
Range of detction is not gaurenteed .. it depends on wavelength of sound and facors of salt concentation in the water at dfrent depths and tempratures.. its similar to light bending through glass..

Use of Mig 27 for that which is fast moving is a waste thats why helicopters are given the task.. they can hover and wear down a lurking sub

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOFAR_channel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocline
I am just saying that it's not like fighter aircraft where you detected a enemy from 200 km away through radar but you have missile of 100 km range.
In submarine hunting mostly we have strike range of 100 km but we are able to get submarine location from 70 to 80 km away due different factors.
Helicopter manage to track and destroy submarine due to their dipping sonar which fighter jets can't use.

archie

Country flag
I am just saying that it's not like fighter aircraft where you detected a enemy from 200 km away through radar but you have missile of 100 km range.
In submarine hunting mostly we have strike range of 100 km but we are able to get submarine location from 70 to 80 km away due different factors.
Helicopter manage to track and destroy submarine due to their dipping sonar which fighter jets can't use.
I think its more easier to detect aircraft than an Sub .. 70 - 80 Km is not that gaurenteeed . .

Radar is an active detection and radar sigature is not escapable. on the other hand sound signature is easier to hide compared to radar .. read both the links about the behaviour of sound in ocean ,

manindra

Country flag
I think its more easier to detect aircraft than an Sub .. 70 - 80 Km is not that gaurenteeed . .

Radar is an active detection and radar sigature is not escapable. on the other hand sound signature is easier to hide compared to radar .. read both the links about the behaviour of sound in ocean ,
I know thats why Submarines called ghosts of the ocean.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles