Can India Transition from Looking East to Acting East with ASEAN's Help?

Discussion in 'Foreign Relations' started by ejazr, Jun 21, 2012.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Can India Transition from Looking East to Acting East with ASEAN's Help? Commemorating Two Decades of ASEAN-India Relations | Center for Strategic and International Studies
    By Ernest Z. Bower, Prashanth Parameswaran

3. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

Well ASEAN countries are looking forward to broadening their strategic ties with regional neighbors. I hope India will take the opportunity. But it must realise early on that ASEAN countries are not really of the war freak mentality of most South Asian countries. What most of us need and want is business.

4. Tolaha

Tolaha Senior Member Senior Member

Even though India keeps parroting its "Look East" philosophy, it has been mainly words so far, with not much action backing it. India admittedly is a inward looking country! Broadening of strategic ties is something that has to come from the ASEAN countries themselves. But until now, ASEAN themselves dont seem to be clear with their approach on how to face the security challenges. When ASEAN themselves are not acting as a unit, it is tough to expect India to understand their intentions and take appropriate actions in that direction.

Never heard anyone say that Indians were war freaks before. Oh yeah, now I remember, Kissinger did say something on those lines! Did you mean Indians are war freaks relatively to say, Malaysians? :p

There are about a billion folks this side with similar views!

5. asianobserve

asianobserve Elite Member Elite Member

It's the region I mentioned. If you feel the statement is aimed at Indians then it's your mind not mine.

6. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

If you want to see real ties between India and Southeast Asia, and not just meaningless political dialogue about "looking East", two things should be done:

1) Build a highway connecting NE India with SE Asia to facilitate trade. I think this is already being planned and the opening up of Burma will greatly help in this regard.

2) Re-open Nalanda University and make it an international institution with world-class staff and facilities with a focus on bringing together students from Buddhist SE Asian nations with Indian students, as it did historically.

7. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

1) Trade is looking up. Things like transportation links etc will come around sooner or later.

2) By acting east, it only means an alliance that takes a military form.

3) US is expecting India to take the lead in this regard and start a movement for creating one. Then the US will join in or give it "outside" support. This is what actually acting east means.

4) this group will be responsible for maintaining sea routes, peace and trade in the region.