Can India do to Sri Lanka what Russia did to Ukraine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubuntu

Tihar Jail
Banned
I believe India was Sri Lanka's friend. Not anymore. All of that changed because of the civil war. India has slowly being polarized towards the Tamilnadu demands whether they are right or wrong. So we too needed to find some powerful friend to counter that. And we did.

So I thinks all the bets are off right now. Current government of Sri Lanka is more incline towards the national interests rather than Indian interests.
dont take tamil political trolls seriously.

Condemning lanka is bread for many tamil partys dont takm them seriously.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Jobless Indians spilling into SL?

That is a very amusing story!

Who the Dickens would want to learn Singhalese, the sole recognised language, which is one of the bone of contention with the SL Tamils.

And why are there so many SL people emigrating to Europe and Australia if SL was the paradise, there was no discrimination and overflowing in jobs?
Well there are Indians working in Sri Lankan farmlands for low wages because the locals won't work for such low wages. Those Indians come with tourist visas and stay in Sri Lanka for couple of months during the harvesting season.

Agriculture Minister Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena told Express on Sunday that he was discussing with the Ministries of Agriculture and Defence and also the Department of Immigration and Emigration the prospect of getting down Indian farm workers on three or six-month work visas.

"There is urgency in this matter given the fact that harvesting has to be done within a given period of time Already, a small number of Indians are coming on tourist visas and working illegally in farms in the Eastern province. Some of these have been caught by the police and deported. I propose to present a cabinet paper on regularising the employment of farm workers from India after discussions with the various ministries and departments concerned," he added.

Currently, the illegal immigrant workers come from Tamil Nadu.
Sri Lanka may use Indian farmhands due to labour shortage

What's so beautiful about SL that is not in abundance in India?
Well Sri Lanka is cleaner than India. So we do not need it to be spoiled.

ladder

Country flag
I believe India was Sri Lanka's friend. Not anymore. All of that changed because of the civil war. India has slowly being polarized towards the Tamilnadu demands whether they are right or wrong. So we too needed to find some powerful friend to counter that. And we did.

So I thinks all the bets are off right now. Current government of Sri Lanka is more incline towards the national interests rather than Indian interests.
So, you like another country whose name starts with 'P' started giving out projects without tenders and feasibility reports to show your friendship. Isn't it?

amoy

I think of a word serendipity which is associated with Sri Lanka

Serendipity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The first noted use of "serendipity" in the English language was by Horace Walpole (1717–1797). In a letter to Horace Mann (dated 28 January 1754) he said he formed it from the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip, whose heroes "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of". The name stems from Serendip, an old name for Sri Lanka (aka Ceylon), from Sanskrit Simhaladvipa and Persian SarandÄ«p (سرندیپ). Parts of Sri Lanka were under the rule of South Indian kings for extended periods of time in history. Kings of Tamil Nadu, India (Cheranadu) were called Chera Kings and dheep means island, the island belonging to Chera King was called Cherandeep, hence called Sarandib by Arab traders.[3]
Serendipity has brought Chinese and Lankans together.

(CNN) -- The leaves that go into a cup of Ceylon tea play a surprisingly complex role in the history of Sri Lanka.

It started with a single camellia sinesis plant brought from China in 1824 by the British, who had colonized the island then known as Ceylon in 1801.

The plant was to be displayed in the Royal Botanical Gardens outside Kandy in the country's lush interior -- but it has since grown into a $1.5 billion export business for the teardrop shaped island nation off India's southern tip.

Alongside the agricultural production of tea, which accounts for 2.5% of the country's $60 billion GDP, tea tourism is also emerging as a popular experience for travelers.
Sri Lanka's top tea experiences: Sips of history - CNN.com

United we stand, safeguarding SL sovereignty and navigation freedom of Indian Ocean!

HeinzGud

Country flag
So, you like another country whose name starts with 'P' started giving out projects without tenders and feasibility reports to show your friendship. Isn't it?
No absolutely not. I do not want that country starting with letter "P" should be involved with any project in Sri Lanka. And fortunately they are not in a position to support projects in Sri Lanka.

HeinzGud

Country flag

United we stand, safeguarding SL sovereignty and navigation freedom of Indian Ocean!
Yes you are right Serendipity is associated with Sri Lanka.

And China is our historic friend. Always supported us through out last 65 years or so. In times of ups and downs.

t_co

You do realize Ukraine was a massive loss for Russia, right?

Russia gained a small chunk of land, but created an implacable enemy that is willing to be used as a proxy right on its borders, where there was once a nominally neutral state.

India doing the same to SL would create a similar enemy that is willing to be used right on its borders. Also, Bangladesh and Nepal, far from being cowed, would start actively leaning away from India.

ubuntu

Tihar Jail
Banned

Russia gained a small chunk of land, but created an implacable enemy that is willing to be used as a proxy right on its borders, where there was once a nominally neutral state.

India doing the same to SL would create a similar enemy that is willing to be used right on its borders. Also, Bangladesh and Nepal, far from being cowed, would start actively leaning away from India.
Tell me one chinese border country (tibet,xiaxing,innermongolia,sk,nk,japan,vietnam,phillipines,thailand) having good relation with china.

Keep your bs to your self.all border country's will naturally have some insecurity.

ladder

Country flag
No absolutely not. I do not want that country starting with letter "P" should be involved with any project in Sri Lanka. And fortunately they are not in a position to support projects in Sri Lanka.
It isn't what I meant bro. Well what I was objecting to was handing over of key projects to companies of a country 'C' without proper feasibility study and tendering in Sri Lanka, to be in good books of that country. ( It's the same situation in country 'P')

Anyways, with the situation you are in due to human rights issue, you hardly have a choice.

ladder

Country flag

The common name for the 'serendipity' ( the serendipity which brought China and SL closer) through which it is known throughout the world is probably best described as 'UNSC Veto power'. Isn't it?

ladder

Country flag

Yes, definitely, we do recognize the situation in Ukraine is a massive loss for Russia.
That's why leaders EU and USA after announcing a notional sanctions on Russia, met in Italy for a late night Bunga Bunga party, to celebrate their win.
( Loss of Russia= win for the west)

Come on man, every damn country is not Pakistan to be played as a proxy for the west thus digging it's own grave.

Nepal, Bhutan have had seen an example closer than what this thread proposes to do with Sri Lanka. Remember Sikkim? If they didn't drift then, they would not now.

And Bangladesh? We had an wholesome opportunity in 1971.

Though as stated earlier, I don't see any chances of India doing a Crimea on Sri Lanka. But, not for the reason you mentioned.

Last edited:

amoy

The common name for the 'serendipity' ( the serendipity which brought China and SL closer) through which it is known throughout the world is probably best described as 'UNSC Veto power'. Isn't it?
I wish u have taken note of big ticket investment China is making in SL (post #39). If India has the financial might don't hesitate to exert the same influence.

With greater capability comes bigger responsibility for China as one of P5-UNSC, not only in regional development but also in security.

HeinzGud

Country flag
It isn't what I meant bro. Well what I was objecting to was handing over of key projects to companies of a country 'C' without proper feasibility study and tendering in Sri Lanka, to be in good books of that country. ( It's the same situation in country 'P')

Anyways, with the situation you are in due to human rights issue, you hardly have a choice.
Well we do not care about the HR issue it's just a routine. We listen and forget what the HRC says.

ladder

Country flag
Well we do not care about the HR issue it's just a routine. We listen and forget what the HRC says.
The don't care attitude is precisely due to China and it's Veto power.

ladder

Country flag
I wish u have taken note of big ticket investment China is making in SL (post #39). If India has the financial might don't hesitate to exert the same influence.

With greater capability comes bigger responsibility for China as one of P5-UNSC, not only in regional development but also in security.
Yeah the responsibility drips at the shores of islands, shoals and atolls around different seas nearby China. Evident enough for us to see.

And secondly, do you think I wrote those words without having a background on different projects in Sri Lanka? Poor you, you assume too much.

India can, but, why India would? Sri Lanka is a delicate balancing act for our govt. a little imbalance causes a lot of problem.

Jagdish58

Dear Friends,
Russia has shown guts to put its neighbours in their place.First Georgia and now Ukraine.There are lots of similarities between India's and Russia's neighbours. Both are heavily dependent on their big neighbours , but flirt with enemies and oppurtunists when it suits them. Its high time we too followed Russia's footsteps in Srilanka and Maldives.Just as Russia uses the logic of safety of ethnic Russians in Crimea, we to should use the issue of Tamils' safety in Srilanka to the same end.

watch this you will never get this type of thoughts in your wildest of dream

Last edited by a moderator:

Jagdish58

Tell me one chinese border country (tibet,xiaxing,innermongolia,sk,nk,japan,vietnam,phillipines,thailand) having good relation with china.

Keep your bs to your self.all border country's will naturally have some insecurity.
Mate china means one way traffice they will give suggesion like saints but they will be the one to break that first :lol::scared2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles