Can civil servants say no to bribe without being odd-man out?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ajay_ijn, Feb 18, 2011.

1. ajay_ijn

ajay_ijn Regular Member

honestly. Is it possible to for civil servants simply refuse bribes in highly corrupt govt institutions without being odd man out, without being threatened by any one to get their work done from you?

i won't take bribes, i don't care if others take, but i should not be odd-man out in my office and i should have any pressure from my higher ranks or the person trying to bribe me?

of course people bribing will be frustrated and they will irritate us repeatedly.

There are some people who are content with their income, no matter how low it is. They would have no problem with their colleagues taking bribes and getting rich. But even those people are frustrated as the entire society seems treat him as weirdo and question repeatedly for refusing to accept bribes.

3. malluowl

malluowl Regular Member

Very true, I have heard of the same stuff...not just Bureaucrats, but politicians and others too have the same feelings.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

There have been bureaucrats who have refused bribes or threats.

However, they were buffeted around.

5. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

Bribery is in their blood and the civil servants who are out there will not hesitate to ask bribe.

6. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

not a bureaucrat but a police officer i know first hand. never once did he take a bribe ever, a very hard working person, instances where he would be slogging his ass hunting down the criminals days and nights together to end up getting threatened on quite a few occasions by these very nabbed criminals with dire consequences for him and his family and as all this would happen with someone else walking away with the credit in a few instances to the extent news reports being published the very next day with someone else making the headlines, with ACRs on purpose written better for others who would then walk away with the promotions who would rarely ever be seen in field pursuing cases and this man of principles would earn postings from one corner of the state to another but never the better ones at state capital or higher ranked positions. he happened to retire as SP but his subordinates in few cases ended up retiring as DIGs, but see the irony, he today lives a very healthy life when most of his contemporaries have either passed away or are having a real bad time with their health, someone who even today after 25years of his retirement is looked upon within the state police services with respect and his strictness, work ethics and honesty still have a resonance within the state and it took a near 20 years post his retirement for the state government to recognize him for his efforts with a clear mention for his honesty in a letter personally written by the then cm of the state.

the man being talked about happens to be my grand father, my nanaji. the best thing about him, never a man of excuses and the other good thing, he was not the only case but there were quite a few like him one of whom actually retired as a dgp of the state and how ironic even he maintains a good health.

its just a mental make up one has, you dont want to take bribe you dont take it, you want to work then you work and taking of bribe or financial frauds is not just a government service thing but a day-to-day thing in the private sector as well, there are big budgets, so many favors being done on almost daily basis with so much scope of money to be made. its your conscience, its your principles!

7. Oracle

Oracle New Member

I have very few instances when I was asked to pay a bribe. I could not find any other way around. I paid the bribe and I got my work done.

What a stupid thread?

8. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Tell your grandfather one Indian of the internet salutes him and wishes him a happy and pleasant life.

My father is also the same! refuses to take bribe or give bribe....as a result most of the work moves at snail pace!

9. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

It is very difficult. I know of people who refused to accept bribes, and ironically, colleagues plotted to have them framed on corruption charges. You have to become part of the system or else everybody will conspire to destroy your career. As the saying goes, in a country of thieves, the honest get punished.

10. mattster

mattster Respected Member Senior Member

It starts with education at the earliest level. I am always astounded whenever I am in different parts of Asia and India where I find that many people dont even feel that they have done anything illegal by demanding a cut of a government deal or project. When you accuse them of corruption or plain theft, they get very defensive and angry.

These people feel that it is their right to take a 5,10, or 20% commission on a project that they are supervising or involved in some way. These are not stupid people but they have no ethics or honest values.

In India, the problem is ethics and values. Parents have to tell their children in no uncertain terms that it is wrong to steal from the government or state or the company you work for. It is wrong to take a bribe, even if it is willingly offered to you.

How many Indian parents do you think tell their kids that. I am willing to bet that most parents dont even broach the subject of ethics with their kids.