Can 4 Su-30MKI supported by GCI defend Kashmir against Pakistani Aggression?

ZOOM

Founding Member
Since last so many days, we are seeing lots of unwanted troubles in Jammu and Kashmir state of India. There is no denying to the fact that in all these troubles, primary hand belongs to Pakistan which is continously fomenting terror exports from its soil. At the same time, China is looking to get lot more assertive then ever before to play a game of spoil of sports by denying Indian status to J&K.

Under such dire circumstances, we can have another Kargil Like episode in J&K as Pakistani Govt is losing its control on its entire armed forces and terror group that it has breed in all these years. Chances are that some high ranking Pakistani Army Generals together with its Airforce support must be looking to invade some undefended part of J&K. Such scenario cannot be ruled out and we have always taken by surprise in 1965 and 1999 when uninvited invasion created a danger to the integrity of our nation.

So my question is, Can 4 Su-30MKI supported by GCI defend Kashmir against Pakistani Aggression?, my question is highly relevant given our lack of vigilance to deal with such situation.

shaka

^^^ This is a possibility considering the unstable nature of Pakistan. A limited war with India will join various forces within there country. They will forget some of their internal differences. Definitely worth a try for them considering Indian leadership is weak, they dont think it(GOI) will retaliate because of their nukes. Remember they are already going south. A dog suffering from rabies is likely to bite.

Why 4 MKIs, expect atleast a squadron. Lets see, if they try Kargil again and send Pakistani army regulars wearing non military clothing :happy_2:. We will see MKI in action along with M2000, later is logical choice because of valuable experience gained last time. This time MKI will carry out air dominance role instead Mig29 which will be patrolling border in Punjab region from airbases there. These planes are actually based there. You can expect 3 flights of MKI (4x3=12 planes) in air. No, Pak fighters wont come close. IAF will bomb there ground forces. Most likely army will capture these regions back. But will loose soldiers like last time. You can expect Indian intelligence to be better certainly than last time. This time Indian public opinion will be very angry. But I dont expect Indian Officials to do anything other than complaining from roof tops that we have been raped again. If China gives Pakistan moral support, you can expect forces going for more FMS type purchases from foreign vendors especially US of A.

Another scenario is they use air power. It depends what there objective will be if they enter Indian airspace. What planes they are using? Are there aircraft supported by AWACS? MKI is great air defence platform with Bars-R77 combo. Indian SAMs in kashmir region are point defence in nature. Lets assume they use their best asset F-16 Block52. Other planes they have, many don't have BVR. If they do a surprise attack on Indian tactical locations/installations. This will be interesting. Act of War in any lingo. I know IAF has stationed MKIs at Srinagar AFS in past, dont know current situation. Primarily it hosts Mig-21 bisons. Bisons (BVR capable) can safely hold their ground against F-16 if these outnumber F-16s 2:1 IMO (Just a guess based on my knowledge/ there are many factors, wont go into these). It will definitely/ultimately come to WVR due to distances involved, which are not large. And you can positively assume IAF would have thought about these scenarios. Otherwise MKI squadron would have been permantly based at Srinagar or another nearby airbase already. Anyway Mig 29 or MKI will join the theater within few hours. F-16 can certainly wreck havoc depending on their numbers. Lets say if 20 or so F-16s cross LOC they will certainly bomb some places. But high value Indian assets will be protected, and it will be difficult for PAF to penetrate these but its not impossible.

Agantrope

^^^^
Would you think the arm-chair generals would make the F-16 flying over the Kashmir, no way

SHASH2K2

I think he is talking about all out attack on Kashmir using F16 . Say we have 4 Sukhoi on air and they have something like 10 F16 . what will be the outcome in that scenario?

smartindian

Country flag
Since last so many days, we are seeing lots of unwanted troubles in Jammu and Kashmir state of India. There is no denying to the fact that in all these troubles, primary hand belongs to Pakistan which is continously fomenting terror exports from its soil. At the same time, China is looking to get lot more assertive then ever before to play a game of spoil of sports by denying Indian status to J&K.

Under such dire circumstances, we can have another Kargil Like episode in J&K as Pakistani Govt is losing its control on its entire armed forces and terror group that it has breed in all these years. Chances are that some high ranking Pakistani Army Generals together with its Airforce support must be looking to invade some undefended part of J&K. Such scenario cannot be ruled out and we have always taken by surprise in 1965 and 1999 when uninvited invasion created a danger to the integrity of our nation.

So my question is, Can 4 Su-30MKI supported by GCI defend Kashmir against Pakistani Aggression?, my question is highly relevant given our lack of vigilance to deal with such situation.
when we are buying 270+ su-30 mki , why only 4 su-30 mki this is non sense , we are also buying mmrca .fgfa from 2018 to defend our country

Agantrope

Sorry didnt get your point.
If Vipers are flying over Kashmir mean then IA would have reached the Lahore, simply an impossible scenario.

Still, When comparing the scenario, Vipers cant be taken that lightly with the electronics that is present in it. But Still the lack of spares and the part will be the difference between the IAF and PAF.

Agantrope

when we are buying 270+ su-30 mki , why only 4 su-30 mki this is non sense , we are also buying mmrca .fgfa from 2018 to defend our country
LH, you got it wrongly i think. what he meant is "Will the quite few flankers be able to ground the PAF?" in case of a conflict.

shaka

I think he is talking about all out attack on Kashmir using F16 . Say we have 4 Sukhoi on air and they have something like 10 F16 . what will be the outcome in that scenario?
Its an interesting scenario. Assuming Su-30 are in Indian air space (on patrol) and F-16s are detected (still not in Indian air space). Both MKIs and 16s will try to play according to their strengths. Rules of engagement will be interesting. Will MKI fire considering F16 are still in Pak airspace? Will they wait for them to cross LOC properly? PAF will have advantage because they are aggressors and can simply withdraw from fight or fire first if they detect MKIs. MKI has big RCS and is not difficult to detect for F-16 Block52 at BVR distances. BVR shots will be fired from both sides. It depends on pilots, jamming equipment, etc from there on. 1 on 1 MKI should be able to shoot down Blk52 at BVR. MKI is simply a better platform with better maneuverability, radar performance. 4 vs 10, anything is possible. Remember MKI will be only carrying AAMs, since on intercepting role and will be more agile. While F-16 will be carrying heavy bombs, AAMs and maybe fuel tanks. IMO F-16s still have a chance to shoot down all MKIs and still couple of F-16 left, provided nobody withdraws from the fight. Just my opinion.

shaka

Lionheart, in case of a surprise attack like I said in my above post it is highly possible that 4 MKIs meet 10 F-16s. But even if 4 MKIs are shot down and F-16 are still on their way, they have to deal with S-125 SAM and maybe even AKASH SAM and further fighter reinforcements from IAF. I think it will be a one way flight for Pak fighters. Whether they achieve their target in between by bombing their target is another matter.

SHASH2K2

Lionheart, in case of a surprise attack like I said in my above post it is highly possible that 4 MKIs meet 10 F-16s. But even if 4 MKIs are shot down and F-16 are still on their way, they have to deal with S-125 SAM and maybe even AKASH SAM and further fighter reinforcements from IAF. I think it will be a one way flight for Pak fighters. Whether they achieve their target in between by bombing their target is another matter.
You forgot the fact that Sukhoi will be able to detect them much earlier . They can fight BVR and run away from scene to save their A** .
scenario will be a lot diffrent once Awacs comes into picture but without AWACS Su30 will be able to inflict heavy damage.

smartindian

Country flag
LH, you got it wrongly i think. what he meant is "Will the quite few flankers be able to ground the PAF?" in case of a conflict.
no i got the point .why iaf will use minimum force in the situation of war. it will use maximum force. and effectively reduce the efficiency of the enemy so that war can be won with minimum time frame with less human lass in our side and maximum damage to the enemy

SHASH2K2

no i got the point .why iaf will use minimum force in the situation of war. it will use maximum force. and effectively reduce the efficiency of the enemy so that war can be won with minimum time frame with less human lass in our side and maximum damage to the enemy
You want to send your entire airforce in air at once . You need to use them 24/7 and they have some overhaul period after each flight to its impossible to use entire airforce strength at one particular time . Also it will be a surprise attack.

smartindian

Country flag
You want to send your entire airforce in air at once . You need to use them 24/7 and they have some overhaul period after each flight to its impossible to use entire airforce strength at one particular time . Also it will be a surprise attack.
i never said entire air force, i said maximun force available

blade

Which Fighter Plane is the No:1 in the Indian Subcontinent in the BVR(Beyond Visual Range) arena?

Official Specs says Zhuk-ME on board Mig-29K & Mig-29SMT upgrade has a detection range of 120km for a 5m2 target. Hence:
For 20m2, Zhuk-ME detection range is 170km
For 15m2, Zhuk-ME detection range is 158km
For 12.5m2, Zhuk-ME detection range is 151km
For 10m2, Zhuk-ME detection range is 143km
For 8.5m2, Zhuk-ME detection range is 137km
For 3m2, Zhuk-ME detection range is 106km
For 1m2, Zhuk-ME detection range is 80km

-----------------

Official Specs says N-011M BARS onboard Su-30MKI has a detection range of 140km for a standard Russian RCS, in this case 5m2. Indian fan boys claim that some N-011m BARS radars variants have a high power output of 7kw(the original one has only 4-5kw), and hence a higher range than the 140km given above. The precise range for this version is not known. Whether this radar is inservice with the Indian Air force is also not known. And even if it is with the IAF, how many 7kw N-011M BARS radar equipped Su-30MKI there are is impossible to determine. Hence under these circumstances, only an official brochure can be taken into account. Official brochure, says ZHUK-MSFE with a 8kw power output, has a range of 180km for a 5m2 target. ZHUK-MSFE is the latest Russian radar, while BARS is several years older. Also BARS output is lesser than Zhuk-MSFE. Hence it's safe to assume 4-5kw BARS variant's(or even the 7kw range) range isn't going to be higher than ZHUK-MSFE.

140km detection range for 5m2 target. Hence:
For 8.5m2, BARS detection range is 160km
For 3m2, BARS detection range is 123km
For 1.5m2, BARS detection range is 104km
For 1m2, BARS detection range is 94km

-----------------

Official Specs says KLJ-7 onboard JF-17 has a detection range of 105km for a 5m2 target. However, PAF isn't too fond of his radar eventhough it has the same range as a APG-68(V)9 on F-16block52 & RDY-2 on Mirage-2000-5/-9(both radars according to official specs), & less range than RC-400 radar. Even in its most powerful form(meaning the version with the largest antennae, which the JF-17 cannot house due to its relatively small nose), the RC400 has 20% less range than the RDY radar. RC-400 is the radar which the PAF are planning to equip their second block of JF-17. Why they are dumping a better radar(according to official specs) and going for a lesser ranged one is fueling speculation that KLJ-7's true specs is lower than publicized. In any case, lets see what its ranges are:

105km detection range for 5m2 Target. Hence:
For 20m2, KLJ-7 & APG-68(V)9 detection range is 149km
For 15m2, KLJ-7 & APG-68(V)9 detection range is 138km
For 12.5m2, KLJ-7 & APG-68(V)9 detection range is 132km
For 10m2, KLJ-7 & APG-68(V)9 detection range is 125km
For 8.5m2, KLJ-7 & APG-68(V)9 detection range is 120km
For 3m2, KLJ-7 & APG-68(V)9 detection range is 92km
For 1m2, KLJ-7 & APG-68(V)9 detection range is 70km

-----------------

RCS figures are confidential. However unofficially there are some figures available on the internet. They are:

Clean(meaning payload/ammunition not loaded) F-16 after Block 30, which includes block 52 - 1.2m2
Clean Mig-29B & Mig-29SMT - 5m2
Clean Su-30MKI - 10m2 to 15m2

JF-17 without RAM, its RCS would be more than a Clean F-16 block 52 which has RAM & is planform. F-16 block25 & the previous variants, which are planform in construction but without RAM, were said to have an RCS of 3m2-5m2, when clean. JF-17's TWR isn't very high, and adding RAM would mean increasing the weight. So we can expect little or no RAM on JF-17. Also, JF-17 isn't very planform in construction but has DSI and is a smaller aircraft. So lets consider a favorable assumption that the RCS of a clean JF-17 is as low as 2.5m2.
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article6.html

Su-30MKI's RCS when carrying full 8000kgs AG load is said to be 20m2.
India, Russia close to PACT on next generation fighter

Lets take Su-30MKI's clean RCS as 11.5m2, higher than a standard Su-27, due to canards & the extra seat.

Mig-29K's RCS is officially confirmed to be 4-5 times less than a old Mig-29, due to composites & RAM. So taking an average value between 4 & 5 = 4.5. When the unofficial RCS of 5 is divided by 4.5 we get an RCS of 1.11.
"Considerable increase of flight range is also gained due to increased capacity of drop fuel tanks and in-flight refueling capability (with the possibility to refuel from the aircraft of the same type). Due to special coatings Mig-29K radar reflecting surface is 4-5 times smaller than of basic MiG-29."
- RAC MiG

JF-17 cannot carry larger payloads. Its load carrying capacity is only 7900lbs or less than 3600kgs. This compared to Su-30MKIs 8000kgs, Mig-29k's 5500kgs, & F-16's 7500kgs.
Empty weight of the aircraft is 14520lbs for JF-17, 19700lbs for F-16 Block 52, 25573 for Mig-29SMT, 28550lbs for Mig-29K & 40565lbs for Su-30MKI.

----

Eventhough Mig-29 can carry less load than a F-16 or Su-30, lets consider a uniform RCS increase for comparison purposes.

Take the RCS of a Air-Air loaded Mig-29SMT as 8.5m2, 3.5m2 more.
Take the RCS of a Air-Air loaded Mig-29K as 5m2, 3.9m2 more.
Take the RCS of a Air-Air loaded F-16 Block 52 as 5m2, 3.8m2 more.
Take the RCS of a Air-Air loaded JF-17 as 5m2, 2.5m2 more.
Take the RCS of a Air-Air loaded Su-30MKI as 15m2, 3.5m2 more.

With these RCS values and the above radar ranges, you can now see which fighters will be detecting their opponent fighters first... and first tracking which almost linearly follows detection.

Mig-29K will detect:
Su-30MKI at 158km
Mig-29SMT at 137km
F-16 Block 52 at 120km
JF-17 at 120km

F-16 Block 52 will detect:
Su-30MKI at 138km
Mig-29SMT at 120km
JF-17 at 105km
Mig-29K at 105km

Su-30MKI will detect:
Mig-29SMT at 160km
F-16 Block 52 at 140km
JF-17 at 140km
Mig-29K at 140km

Mig-29SMT will detect:
Su-30MKI at 158km
F-16 Block 52 at 120km
JF-17 at 120km
Mig-29K at 120km

JF-17 will detect:
Su-30MKI at 138km
Mig-29SMT at 120km
F-16 Block52 at 105km
Mig-29K at 105km

Mig-29K comes out as the clear winner. If provided with a long range BVR weapon which could match its powerful radar, Mig-29K navalised version will come out as the BVR winner.
Su-30MKI follows the Mig-29K Naval Fulcrum.
Mig-29SMT, F-16 Block-52 & JF-17 are tied at third.

----------------
References:

Zhuk-ME (Mig-29 Upgrade & Mig-29K)
Can Track- 10 Targets
Can Simultaneously Engage - 4 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 120 km
http://www.roe.ru/cataloque/air_craf...aft_99-102.pdf

N-011 BARS (Su-30MKI)
Can Track- 15 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 140 km
http://aerospace.boopidoo.com/philez/Su-15TM PICTURES & DOCS/Overscan's guide to Russian Military Avionics.htm

Kopyo-21I
Can Track- 8 Targets
Can Simultaneously Engage - 2 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 57 km

Kopyo-M
Can Track- 10 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 80 km
(Mig-21 Bison has Kopyo radar. Some bisons are equipped with Kopyo-21I and some with Kopyo-M.)

Grifo-S
Can Track- 10 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 93 km
http://www.selex-sas.com/EN/Common/f...ts/GRIFO_S.pdf

KLJ-7
Can Track- 10 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 105 km
http://i30.tinypic.com/2r70vgw.jpg

BARS-29 (Same MKI radar but antennae adapted to Mig-29's smaller nose)
Can Track- 15 Targets
Max Detection for 5 sqm RCS - 120 km
http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/2...s29back2wp.jpg
http://img279.imageshack.us/img279/8...29front9zl.jpg

Irbis-E (Su-35BM)
Can Track - 30 Targets
Can Simultaneously Engage - 8 Targets
Max Detection for 3 sqm RCS - 400 km
Max Detection for 0.01 sqm RCS - 90 km
Irbis / Irbis-E
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewt...start-180.html
http://www.niip.ru/modules/Downloads...006/2006_5.pdf

APG-77 (F-22A)
Max Track for 1 sqm RCS - 200 km
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewt...-start-30.html

APG-81 (F-35)
Max Track for 1 sqm RCS - 160 km

Captor-M (EF-2000)
Max Track for 5 sqm RCS - 185 km

Zaslon-M (Mig-31)
Max Detection for 10 ~ 15 sqm RCS - 400 km

RBE-2 (Rafale)
Can Track - 40 Targets
Max Track for 3 sqm RCS - 100 km
Max Detection for 3 sqm RCS - 130-140 km
Dassault Rafale Avionics

RDY-2 (mirage 2000-5/-9)
Can Track - 24 Targets
Max Track for 5 sqm RCS - 80 km

RC-400 (smaller radar based on RDY-2)
Can Track - 24 Targets
Max Track for 5 sqm RCS - 70 km

APG-68 (V)9 (on F-16 Block 52)
Max Track for 5 sqm RCS - 80 km

APG-66(V)2 (on F-16 MLU)
Max Detection for 6 sqm RCS - 74 km
APG-66 Declassified

Last edited by a moderator:

SHASH2K2

The Bars was originally an X-band Pulse-Doppler radar developed for the Su-27. In its original N011 form the radar used an electronically scanned slotted planar antenna but with the experience gained from the development of the N007 Zaslon and in an effort to improve performance the antenna design was changed to a multi-channel Passive electronically scanned array (PESA) resulting in the N011M Bars (Snow Leopard). The design of the N011M bars antenna like the earlier N007 antenna consists of two separate electronically controlled arrays, an X-band radar and a L-band transponder with a total weight of 100 kg and a diameter of 960 mm [1]. The radar has a peak power output of 4-5 kW [2] and is capable of positioning beams in 400 microseconds [1], a huge advantage over mechanically scanned radar. The Bars radar can be fixed in position to give a scanning sector of +/-70 degrees in azimuth and +/-45 degrees in elevation [3], the radar can also be mounted on electromechanical drives to improve scan coverage. The N011M supports digital signal processing using 3 processors with 16 MB of both static and flash memory [1].

N011M has a search range of 350 km and a tracking range of 200 km, with 60 km in the rear in the air to air mode. Up to 15 air targets can be tracked at once in track-while-scan mode with 4 of these engaged at once.[4] The N011M can use a number of short range and speed search modes and is capable of identifying the type and number of multiple targets. The Bars radar is compatible with R-77 and R-27 radar guided missiles providing both illumination and data-link guidance as well as the R-73 IR guided missile [3].
In the air to surface mode the radar is capable of detecting ground and naval based moving targets, determining their location and maintaining a track on two surface targets at once [1]. The N011 is capable of detecting a tank sized target to a range maximum range of 50 km and a destroyer sized target to a range of 150 km [1]. Bars also features a mapping mode using either real beam, doppler beam sharpening or Synthetic aperture radar with a maximum resolution of 10 meters [1]. The Kh-31 anti-radiation missile is also compatible with the radar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bars_radar

Flanker Radars in Beyond Visual Range Air Combat

Air to Air Weapons

Air to air weapons are one area where the Russians have been very aggressively developing and marketing new products. The baseline Su-27S was armed with the R-27 (AA-10 Alamo) semiactive radar homing BVR missile and the R-73 (AA-11 Archer) WVR missile. The thrust vectoring R-73 (refer AA 4/97) was a trend setter and we have since seen an improved R-73M marketed, as well as a digitised seeker equipped R-74E variant credited with 75 degree off boresight capability and kinematics to kill 12 G targets. Indian press reports suggest the Rafael Python 4 has been offered to India and it is not inconceivable that this missile will find its way on to Indian and other regional Sukhois - India is currently negotiating for the Phalcon AEW&C system fitted to the Ilyushin A-50E airframe and has acquired ballistic missile defence radars from Israel.

The Vympel R-27 is the Russian equivalent to the late model US AIM-7 Sparrow series BVR missiles, but the similarity ends there since the R-27 is available in a plethora of variants. The basic airframe is supplied in long and short burn variants with differing range performance, and with heatseeking or datalink aided inertially midcourse guided semi-active radar seekers. The R-27R1 and R-27ER1 are the radar guided long and short burn versions, respectively, credited with F-pole ranges of 70 nautical miles and 43 nautical miles. The R-27T1 and R-27ET1 are the respective heat seeking equivalents, credited with slightly lower engagement ranges. The X-band anti-radiation seeker equipped R-27P/EP has been reported, designed to kill emitting fighters in the forward quarter by homing on their radar emissions. More recently Agat have offered new build or retrofit active radar seekers as the R-27A/EA, the AGAT 9B-1103M/9B-1348E, derived from the R-77 seeker.

The most recently exported missile in the region is the Vympel R-77 RVV-AE (AA-12 Adder), the AMRAAMski. This missile, with unique lattice controls, is a modern BVR weapon designed to kill 12G targets, and credited with an A-pole range of 54 nautical miles, although some reports suggest early production rounds are not delivering the kinematic performance advertised, not unlike early AIM-120A AMRAAMs. As the R-77 has AMRAAM-like capabilities, it permits an Su-30 to launch multiple rounds and guide these concurrently, engagement geometry permitting. As the R-77 matures, we can expect to see refinements in propellants, autopilot kinematics and seeker jam resistance.

We have yet to see reports of regional deliveries of the Vympel R-77M RVV-AE-PD (Povyshlenayya Dal'nost') ramjet adder, credited with an A-pole range around 80 nautical miles. This missile is a direct derivative of the R-77.

Alternate seekers for the R-77 have been advertised - the heatseeking R-77T using an MK-80M seeker from the R-73M and R-27T, and the antiradiation R-77P. The deployment of the new F/A-22A later in the decade will see significant pressure on Vympel to supply heatseeking, anti-radiation and electro-optical imaging seekers on the R-77/R-77M in an attempt to counter the combined kinematics and all-aspect stealth of the F/A-22A. While such seekers may do little to offset the overwhelming advantages of the supercruising F/A-22A, they are likely to prove quite effective against inferior types such as the JSF, F/A-18E/F, late model F-15E and F-16C/B50. If the Su-30 can close to a range where an advanced longwave IRST can track the target, an optical seeker equipped R-77 variant can be used to effect an engagement, defeating the RCS reduction measures on these aircraft. The anti-radiation R-77P could be used to engage at maximum missile range.

In the long range missile domain, the Vympel R-37 (AA-X-13) series of AIM-54 Phoenix look-alikes have been proposed - a developmental R-37 successfully engaged a target at 162 nautical miles of A-pole range in 1996. A more interesting proposal has been the use of the Novator R(KS)-172 RVV-L (AAM-L) missile, a 215 nautical mile range 1,650 lb launch weight long range AAM. The R-172 uses datalink/inertial midcourse guidance and an active radar terminal seeker, and Russian sources claim a snap-up capability to 100,000 ft and snap-down capability to 10 ft AGL. KS-172 mockups have been photographed on Su-30 displays but its production status is unclear at this time, although India is negotiating licence production.

Of no less interest is the Kh-31P (AS-17 Krypton) family of ramjet anti-radiation missiles, offered as a standard store on the Su-30/35 subtypes. This missile, in basic anti-radiation and dual mode seeker variants is often dubbed the AWACS killer and would be used to destroy opposing AEW&C aircraft, or surface based radars. Sukhoi advertise a load of up to six rounds, two on the inlet stations.

Last edited:

death.by.chocolate

Professional
Country flag
Detection range is greatly reduced when inbound F-16's use terrain masking, low altitude ingress in terrain avoidance mode. Block-52's are able to fly fast and low, assisted by the APG-68's ability to map the terrain and avoid terrain features at high speeds. In look down mode the Su-30 MKI radar will use doppler shift to isolate fast low flying objects, the F-16 can employ a technique called beaming to avoid detection. This is one scenario which can be employed to neutralize the MKI's radar advantage and shorten its reaction time considerably.The effectiveness of guided air to air missiles such as the R-77 is reduced due to the difficulties of picking the target against ground clutter. Quick reaction surface to air missiles will be more effective in this scenario.

The Su-30 MKI is possibly the best air superiority fighter in Asia, but that doesn't mean it is without weakness. All systems have weakness that can be exploited by a clever adversary.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles