Cambodia mourns death of Sihanouk

amoy

Cambodia mourns death of Sihanouk - The Standard
Cambodia's former king Norodom Sihanouk died in Beijing today, Xinhua reported.

"Norodom Sihanouk has died in Beijing,'' Xinhua said.

The ex-monarch would have been 90 on October 31. "Our former King died at 2:00 a.m. early Monday in Beijing due to natural cause,'' Cambodian deputy prime minister Nhek Bunchhay told Xinhua by phone. "This is a great loss for Cambodia. We feel very sad. The former king was a great king that we all respect and love him.''

AFP reports Cambodia's King Norodom Sihamoni and Prime Minister Hun Sen will fly to Beijing today to receive Sihanouk's body for a traditional funeral in Cambodia, he added when contacted by AFP.

The revered monarch had been a frequent visitor to China and also received medical treatment in the country. He had been staying at his Beijing residence since January.
Sihanouk, Norodom - Facts from the Encyclopedia - Yahoo! Education

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
His political career was intertwined with China, which had a great influence on him.

His soul is liberated from the turmoil of earthly concerns that has buffeted his life.

Yyoth yith zanamas kaenh chune larun, darinay darun soham soo; Brahma, Vishnu, Maheshwar gharun, darinay darun soham soo.

amoy

On 17 Oct., National flags are raised to half mast in key locations of Beijing in honour of the late king Norodom Sihanouk.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Norodom Sihanouk could be the most recognized foreign king in China among ordinary Chinese people, even people in the most remote area know him, for example my father. My father and I rarely talked about international issues on cellphone, but last night he mentioned the death of Norodom Sihanouk.

His unfortunate death marks the end of an era, an era when China was isolated from the rest of the world but fortunately had a friend like king Norodom Sihanouk. It is a great loss for both China and Cambodia, and I do feel sad.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles