Cabinet approves ordinance on coal and insurance

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Nicky G, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

NEW DELHI: Seeking to move ahead on crucial reforms, the Cabinet on Wednesday approved the ordinance route for coal and insurance reforms. Frustrated by the opposition in its bid to get parliamentary approval for two crucial items of legislation, the government took up ordinances to raise the overseas investment limit in insurance and facilitate coal mine auctions.

Government approved promulgation of an Ordinance to hike Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) cap in the insurance sector to 49 ..

Read more at:
    Cabinet approves ordinance on coal and insurance

Good job, I'd say. Can't let the critical actions be delayed by the moronic opposition.

This is not the time to take people along or other such nonsense, but bulldozer things through. If RS rejects it, great, call a joint session.

3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Having won absolute majority, does Modi government really need to go the ordnance route? If this trend continues, the government will soon carry out "reforms" that might ensure that it stays out of power for the next several tenures.

It is good that Modi got a good mandate, but I hope this unrelenting personality worshipping by his pious followers doesn't cut him off from reality.

Wanna get things done? Get it done via the Parliament.

4. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

How can he get it passed in the RS? That house does not have his majority yet!

Mad Indian, VIP and Free Karma like this.
  5. Free Karma

Free Karma Senior Member Senior Member

Lok Sabha worked for 98% of winter session, Rajya Sabha barely 59% - The Times of India
    RS is trying to stall things
    Also:
    Jaitley: insurance ordinance shows commitment to reforms

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  6. pmaitra

That's right, if he cannot get it passed in RS, then he must accept that he cannot get it passed in RS, and instead of issuing an ordinance, let him wait for a Joint Session.

RS is not trying to stall things. RS is trying to set up checks and balances. I am glad we have such checks and balances in place. We don't want any government to turn into an autocratic government. It is against the nation's interest.

7. Free Karma

Holding up reform bills like coal,insurance due to misleading reports about optional online essays and other minor issues is definitely not in the interest of the nation. The RS is not even functioning, and is constantly adjourned. Some other bills have not been taken up from 2008, due to one logjam or the other (granted BJP did the same when they were in the opposition).

I agree that this is not the right way to do it, but for things like coal mines which are essential, they will use the ordinances till they get the bill passed (current ordinance ends on Jan 3rd I think).
    I think even with a joint session they would only have a slender lead, and might have to make alliances...not sure.

8. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

I guess he's not questioning the existence of RS. It's regarding political representatives in RS are not letting government function properly.

Join session is a thing but I would love to wait till Modi get majority in RS and I hope people wait that far too. Modi needs free hands to give you the results.

9. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

The opposition morons are not trying to debate on merits/demerits. They wasted an entire session - several days - in bickering about, walking out, standing around with black cloth around their mouths, screaming, and making a mockery of parliament in general.

They just kept screaming about shit like "haramzaada", reconversions, etc. They wasted days on the silly "haramzaada" issue, even after an apology from all quarters. They kept screaming and moaning about reconversion. Absolutely no discussion about important stuff like GST, insurance, coal, etc.

This is not contributing to 'checks-and-balances'. It just leads to increasing contempt and derision for our netas, as though there was any shortage of such feelings.

TMC,SP & RJD are three parties that need to be eradicated from India with immediate effect. If you think these monkeys are going to debate on merits and keep national interest in mind, you are mistaken. They are just trying to whip up passions and do a drama of "secularism".

Let this be a lesson to the opposition morons. Let them debate on merits and demerits of the bills, keeping national interest in mind. Otherwise they will be pushed to a corner, deservedly so.

10. pmaitra

Ordinance is akin to using executive power, and goes contrary to the philosophy of parliamentary decision making. Ordinance at times of natural calamities, invasions, etc., are understandable. In such policy matters, I see this as abuse of power.

Coming to coal, insurance, etc., since it is a national issue, let the Parliament (Lower and Upper Houses) decide, instead of the cabinet. Shouldn't be difficult with an absolute majority in the Lower House.

Yes, indeed the BJP did the same thing when they were in the opposition. They even opposed the Indo-US N-deal. You and I may disagree on policies, but if the RS is doing something it is allowed to do under the Constitution, then there is nothing wrong in it.

What is the definition of "proper" functioning of a government?

If a government is allowed to function without checks and balances, would that be proper? I think not.

Modi might need a free hand, but the nation needs checks and balances. The RS is doing just that.

So, you don't agree with the opposition, so they are morons? What if I disagree with you? Does that make you a moron?

Yeah, I know you are "the angry dude of DFI," and frankly, I am going to ignore most of your post, since it is a useless assortment of words.

11. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Come out of the politically-correct bullshit. It has nothing to do with agreement or disagreement. It is about commonsense and national interest.

Why, you were whining for Bengal to be put under President's rule, weren't you? Did all your holier-than-thou "democratic principles" go to take a walk then? You don't like Jihadi Didi so you want her to be summarily dismissed, don't you? How will you justify these idiotic double standards?

Jihadi Didi needs to be kicked out because she is a dangerous woman, and is steering Bengal to the brink, with her anti-national policies. Kicking her out would be in national interest.

Its exactly the same principle here. The opposition is composed of these riffraff from TMC,SP and RJD, along with a few thoroughly useless commie fossils. If they hold parliament (and the nation) to ransom for frivolous issues, they need to be marginalized, sidelined and bypassed. Seriously, its not even the merits of the bills that these morons are arguing. They are wasting precious national time on useless shit like "haramzaada", "secular credentials", "Godse", etc.

How does your brain defend "undemocratic" activities like kicking out a popular elected government in W.B., while acting all holier-than-thou when it comes to the RS?

12. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

@pmaitra

The Lok Sabha has already passed the Coal Bill in this session and in the next session
    The Insurance bill will also be passed

Now if the Rajya Sabha still blocks these bills then the Govt will convene a joint session of Parliament

The behaviour of the RS in this session was not unexpected
    Some fools in the BJP gave them this mouth watering oppurtunity

If however even in the NEXT session such nonsense continues MANY people
    will label the TMC - LEFT -RJD-SP etc etc simply as Anti National

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  13. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

@pmaitra

The entire opposition is very sad about TWO things

1 The Govt has a very comfortable majority in the Lok Sabha so these smaller parties have LOST their importance

2 Modi's popularity and credibility is still INTACT

That is why BJP is winning in state elections too However Modi will have to watch out for
    the loony fringe

If the BJP wins in Delhi ; which it might as per the opinion polls it will be even better

The net result of ALL these state victories is that in 2016 BJP will be in a MUCH better position in RAJYA SABHA

One third seats of Rajya Sabha will be vacant and up for reelection in 2016

SO this blackmail and harassment will stop

14. Free Karma

Narendra Modi govt fastracks reforms in insurance, coal, pharma sectors | The Financial Express

Lok Sabha passes bill on coal block allocations
    Please go through the links posted, If you claim they are discussing the merits and demerits of bills please post a link about the discussions, none of the disruptions are actually about the bill itself.

The coal bill (and others bills) has been passed in the LS. No one would have a problem if the RS was actually discussing the bill, the point is the RS is not even functioning half the time , which is why I posted the stats above. When they are in session, they are busy disrupting the house over "haramzaada"/essay writing competitions and other such nonsense,. In fact the coal bill has *already been approved* by the select committee appointed by the RS, all they need to do is pass it., but they refuse to do so.
    This is not in the nations interest, or atleast more important than passing a bill that ensures supply of much needed energy for industries.

15. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

@pmaitra This nation needs coal to generate power which is very much insufficient at current rate of coal production. Waiting another 6 months in hope that the blind self-interested useless groups of morons seating in RS who aren't even direct representative of the people will see the light and let the RS function and won't find some other silly reasons to disrupt the functioning of highest forum of Democracy, would be akin to living in fools paradise. These people (I am not excluding BJP either) sitting at the opposition seats don't care about the nation but to show the the Govt. in bad light and for that they do not as a norm hesitate to hamper any development work for the nation.

Hence, ordinance is the way to go for a govt. who really wish to do some work.

Also, ordinance is not an Act, and it can be withdrawn or have to be ratified by the next session of parliament. So, the opposition has to accept or reject it then as it will be on for vote anyway. By your logic, waiting for 6 months would n't hurt either, will it? They can check and balance by their hearts' content then.

16. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

RS is doing checks & balances and I have no problem with that but I have problem with unnecessary blockage regarding nonissues unrelated to bills. e.g. Conversion row
    RS during UPA era was having very healthy conversations & debates between party representatives and LS was a "Tabela". It's opposite now :p because Congress doesn't even have numbers to perform in LS. Hence, it & other parties are creating ruckus by raising unwanted, unrelated issues in RS and that's not healthy.

17. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

@pmaitra

I could debate the very rationale for the RS, which I consider highly flawed due to a range of reasons; one small one being people such as Sachin and Rekha, who have no credentials in the context are granted power to vote on issues critical to the nation. However, that is not the intent of this thread.

The facts are simple, ordinances exist to put into effect measures that cannot or should not wait. There is no reason to wait on these two issues. The GoI did the right thing by passing them in LS and considering the RS was stalled and these issues could not even be debated, there is no reason to subject the country to delays due to the buffoonery of the oppositions.

You can keep the philosophy of what is and what is not against the spirit of a parliamentary democracy to yourself. That's has no value in the real world. If these ordinances were not supposed to be used, they should not have been in the constitution. Since they are, there is no reason to not use them.

Ironically, you are dismissing someone's arguments as 'a useless assortment of words' merely because you don't agree with them, what you accuse others of. Amusing.

18. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

Most of bills wont get support of oppistion should there be Joint session for each bill . Joint session should be there for rarest of rareset case

When did RS tried to get checks and balance in any of bills ???

was tmc sp JD(u) where debating bill ...

they spend most of time shouting on coversion issue

In next session they would find another issue or same issue if organisation like VHP would advertise their conversion episodes

It think its stupidity of NDA floor managers not to get bills passed in this din .UPA regulary got bills passed amid shoting and dins

And i cannot fantom fact why there waiting for 2016 ??? how many seats they are going to see increase in their belly would that give them simple majority in RS???

off topic how is that VHP got people in kerala to convert

I though they where educated and not-soo poopr peole in kerala where class doesnt exhits

19. pmaitra

The highlighted argument in red is the most idiotic argument I have heard in a long time. The rest of your post is slightly, and not significantly, better.

I couldn't be bothered to offer a debate, since you said what you said, highlighted in blue.

20. pmaitra

If that is the case, then so be it. Let BJP wait to get a majority in RS.

I am not going into the party level details. Rajya Sabha has its purpose. It is not purposeless.

Yes, I understand some want Modi to have a free hand in doing whatever he wants, but that is a tendency that is against the interests of the nation. Checks and balances are very important.

Any nation that has a very strong executive, will have limited accountability.

Indira Gandhi was booted out after the emergency.

If Modi continued in the same trend, he could also be booted out.

And, Sir, please appreciate the purpose of Rajya Sabha:

Source: Rajya Sabha Introduction

I can assure you, those that framed the Constitution were far smarter than the ubiquitous Modi worshippers.

21. dastan

dastan Regular Member

Why the fuss? These will have to be passed by a joint session anyway to become permanent right? Though i agree passing ordinances is not a very parliamentary way of doing things the way opposition was behaving in RS i feel no remorses in GOI over riding em