C-17 Globemaster III (IAF)

Country flag
Which orders? Care to expand sir?
I will give an example of mrca rafaele
Choice I still don't understand why so much time was wasted and finally a smaller order placed.

A better example may also be the MTA deal with Russia

Why keep so many different platforms from so many different vendors? I think the Indian air force is probably having major headaches
Integrating so many platforms some customized specifically for india like the sukhois

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abingdonboy

Country flag
I will give an example of mrca rafaele
Choice I still don't understand why so much time was wasted and finally a smaller order placed.
Not to worry sir, the Rafale saga is actually rather simpler than many are painting it as. The 36 deal is not it, it is merely the "first course" and as Modi explicitly stated "to meet the urgent requirements of the IAF". Dassualt is in talks with the MoD to make 90++ Rafales in India and no matter what anyone wants to beleive they are the ONLY OEM to have entered into such talks with the MoD.

A better example may also be the MTA deal with Russia

Why keep so many different platforms from so many different vendors? I think the Indian air force is probably having major headaches
Integrating so many platforms some customized specifically for india like the sukhois
On the fighter front you are right and this is EXACTLY why the MMRCA was envisioned as it was- one fighter type to replace 2-3 figther types within the IAF (Mig-21, MiG-27 and some Jags). And this is EXACTLY why when you hear this talk that the IAF will go for the Rafale and another Western MMRCA you should rubbish it outright. The IAF is explicitly reducing the number of fighter types.

As for transports, I don't think there is a way around it given the vastly different requirements (utility , medium lift, and heavy lift) there is no single "one fit all" solution. It would have been ideal to have the entire heavy lift fleet made of one type (C-17) but clearly this has not been possible hence my frustraton. Even the USAF operates a very diverse transport wing to cater for the different "tiers" the only difference being they have ensured their demands have been met in full.

Country flag
I am biased toward c-17 because it could function as a bomber if needed(it was modeled after the Flying Fortress b-17)

Zebra

Country flag
The USAF's needs are met for the next 30 years at least. The next generation transport a/c is a very low priority item for them (and NATO). The IAF needs something today, not 25-30 years from now. Like I said, the real crisis will be 10-15 years from now when the IL-76 fleet starts to be phased out and there is no a/c in development (Western or Eastern) that fills the requirement perfectly.
The MoD/GoI has royally screwed the IAF but they don't care because it will be the some future government's problem. Such is politcs.
This wouldn't have addressed the problem at hand ie the heavy lift fleet's woeful state.
The C-295 deal will be signed this year from what I hear, the MTA is offcially dead.
The IAF is not at fault for the MTA mess, the Russians refused to listen to the Indian side and given India is footing 50% of the development costs it had the right to demand the latest tech (FADEC). You can't blame the IAF for the regressive mindsets of the Russians.
The red color part is like a sweet song in my ears.

If Russians are not happy to make JVs with Indian Private sector as make in India, then it the perfect time to say goodbye to them.

Reason is Russians don't want any changes in Indian defence.

They wants to maintain status quo in Indian defence procurements.

Which is against Indian interests anyway.

What say.........!

Zebra

Country flag
Not to worry sir, the Rafale saga is actually rather simpler than many are painting it as. The 36 deal is not it, it is merely the "first course" and as Modi explicitly stated "to meet the urgent requirements of the IAF". Dassualt is in talks with the MoD to make 90++ Rafales in India and no matter what anyone wants to beleive they are the ONLY OEM to have entered into such talks with the MoD.
Not going to happen sir, I am afraid.

The simple reason is the matter already gone too far now.

Better think it again.

On the fighter front you are right and this is EXACTLY why the MMRCA was envisioned as it was- one fighter type to replace 2-3 figther types within the IAF (Mig-21, MiG-27 and some Jags). And this is EXACTLY why when you hear this talk that the IAF will go for the Rafale and another Western MMRCA you should rubbish it outright. The IAF is explicitly reducing the number of fighter types.
Exactly the reason why they sang their songs about Omni role aircraft only in MMRCA.

With a price tag of nearly $20 billions, without company's any type of responsibility and after sale support what so ever about Indian made product.

BTW, when they are "explicitly reducing the number of fighter types", then why they are crying to upgrade old Jaguars....!

Zebra

Country flag
I am biased toward c-17 because it could function as a bomber if needed(it was modeled after the Flying Fortress b-17)
lol,
Sir, and you have to explain it on DFI now. :biggrin2:

Zebra

Country flag
...................................................................................................

Country flag
The main concern is there are platforms from nations who are frenemies they can withhold parts etc if they feel they are losing the Indian market. Every arms exporting nation has done this. Recently USA and Venezuela f-16 parts which made the plane useless for Venezuelans

Gessler

Country flag
It was the first time in history that a Globemaster was used for paratroopers
Incorrect. C-17s have been used for airborne paratroop insertions for years in USAF and other countries.

bennedose

C 17 shows off its low speed handling and short field performance

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles