Bush family heir goes off to war

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Bush family political heir is shipping off to war

Mon Oct 26, 4:15 pm ET

George P. Bush, or "P" as he's known to some, is thought to be the biggest hope for a fourth generation of Bush family political leaders, with some suggesting that he might run for statewide office in Texas at some point in the next four to eight years. But, as The Daily Beast points out today, any future George P. Bush political ambitions will have to be put on hold as his Navy Reserve unit is set to be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan in the coming weeks.

Lt. Junior Grade Bush, 33, joined the Navy Reserve in 2007 as an intelligence officer. The Navy recently told him, like thousands of others, that the two ongoing wars required him to go active-duty overseas, potentially in Iraq or Afghanistan. "It's been communicated to me that it's not a question of 'if,' it's a question of 'when,'" Bush told The Daily Beast. "It's just a matter of time."
Bush, who said that he was inspired by the service of his grandfather George H.W. Bush as well as former NFL star Pat Tillman, signed up for an eight-year term in the Navy Reserve in 2007. When word got out about his enlistment, Bush told Politico that he was "disappointed" as he'd intended to keep it under wraps, saying, "I was hoping to keep this as confidential as possible. I'm not doing it for political purposes or anything along those lines." However, prior to his joining some opponents of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan roundly criticized the Bush administration for the Bush family's lack of service in the war effort, saying that if George W. Bush was willing to send the children of other Americans into harm's way overseas, then George P. Bush and other eligible Bush family members should join the armed services and risk their lives fighting for the country as well.
Compared to JFK Jr. due to his good looks and seemingly effortless public charisma, George Prescott Bush (his middle name honors his great-grandfather, former U.S. Sen. Prescott Bush) is the son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and his wife, Columba Bush, who was born and raised in Mexico. Bush's half-Hispanic bloodline aided his burst onto the American political scene in 2000, when he helped his uncle George W. Bush rally up considerable Hispanic voter support by speaking at the Republican National Convention and starring in Spanish-language campaign ads, an effort that many feel helped Bush win the state of Florida's electoral votes, which turned out to be the controversial determining factor in the close election.
Born and raised in Florida, George P. Bush was a high school classmate of pop star Enrique Iglesias. After high school, he attended Rice University in Houston, where, just like his presidential uncle and grandfather, he was a walk-on on his school's baseball squad, though he quit the team during his sophomore year. After earning a degree in history from Rice, Bush got a job teaching at a Miami-area agricultural community. After leaving that job to hit the campaign trail in 2000, he entered law school at the University of Texas after NYU, Yale, Harvard, and Columbia rejected his applications. While there, he met his future bride, Amanda Williams, whom he asked to play golf on their first date. After graduation, they both practiced law in Dallas before moving to Austin in 2005. Bush now is a partner in a real estate investment firm while his wife practices law.
Other than being arrested at 18 for burglarizing the home of an ex-girlfriend, George P. Bush appears to have all the right credentials to carry the Bush legacy well into the future. While family members often refer to the former presidents Bush as "41" and "43," the Washington Post says that some close to the family have taken to referring to George P. Bush as "47," so it's probably safe to assume that those inside the family see him as a potential future Bush torchbearer just as many outside the family do. Could a possible Bush vs. Biden matchup be in the works for 2020 or 2024, with George P. Bush taking on Beau Biden, the attorney general of Delaware and son of the current vice president who also served in Iraq? In some circles, it may not be too early to speculate.

Source:Print Story: Bush family political heir is shipping off to war - Yahoo! News
American political dynasties have along record of serving their nation's militaries, something that is sadly nowhere to be seen in the current or future indian political dynasties.Mr Bush I wish you the best in your endeavours, may you do your nation proud.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
American political dynasties have along record of serving their nation's militaries, something that is sadly nowhere to be seen in the current or future indian political dynasties.Mr Bush I wish you the best in your endeavours, may you do your nation proud.

From serving army to masses, Khandu takes a huge leap

fullstory

Itanagar, Oct 25 (PTI) From joining politics as an anchal samiti member in 1980 to being the chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh for the second time, ex-army officer Dorjee Khandu, a veteran of Bangladesh war, has come a long way.

Fifty-four-year-old Khandu was with the Indian Army Intelligence Corps for seven years and received a gold medal for rendering meritorious services during the Bangladesh War.

He later turned his focus to social work in the far-flung villages where he arranged for drinking water supplies, electricity and communication and also set up schools.

This helped him consolidate his standing among the masses when he replaced Gegong Apang as chief minister of the state in 2007.

He led a cultural troupe to 1982 ASIAD in Delhi from Tawang his home district which won a silver medal.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
From serving army to masses, Khandu takes a huge leap

fullstory

Itanagar, Oct 25 (PTI) From joining politics as an anchal samiti member in 1980 to being the chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh for the second time, ex-army officer Dorjee Khandu, a veteran of Bangladesh war, has come a long way.

Fifty-four-year-old Khandu was with the Indian Army Intelligence Corps for seven years and received a gold medal for rendering meritorious services during the Bangladesh War.

He later turned his focus to social work in the far-flung villages where he arranged for drinking water supplies, electricity and communication and also set up schools.

This helped him consolidate his standing among the masses when he replaced Gegong Apang as chief minister of the state in 2007.

He led a cultural troupe to 1982 ASIAD in Delhi from Tawang his home district which won a silver medal.
I have taked about dynasties(i.e the gandhis, the scindias, the pawars etc) . While remaining highly commendalbe Mr Khandu, Capt Amrinder singh etc are the odd men out, as far as i know even their immediate family members are not serving in any branch of the indian military.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
I have taked about dynasties(i.e the gandhis, the scindias, the pawars etc) . While remaining highly commendalbe Mr Khandu, Capt Amrinder singh etc are the odd men out, as far as i know even their immediate family members are not serving in any branch of the indian military.
Look, Joining the Army is not the only way to Serve the Nation, there are many other ways. Just because a Person joins the Army, he/she doesnt become a Saint of any sort, He/She can still go onto be a corrupt Politician if he/she Joined the Army for "Politicial Mileage"!!!

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Look, Joining the Army is not the only way to Serve the Nation, there are many other ways. Just because a Person joins the Army, he/she doesnt become a Saint of any sort, He/She can still go onto be a corrupt Politician if he/she Joined the Army for "Politicial Mileage"!!!
Agree with you wholeheartedly! no profession not even one of a saint can dictate wheteher you are really a saint. however tell me a few things, answer from your heart!
1) would the IAF still be stuck with MIG21'S if Mr Sharad pawar's daughter had to fly the plane?
2)would indian artillery still be stuck without modern guns if Mr laloo yadav's son was the commander of aregiment of artillery?
3)would indian tankers still have to sweat it out with defective russian hardware if Mr bal thackeray's grandson was a maintenace engineer?
4)Would the IA still have a lack of arctic gear in siachen,if Mr gandhi(rahul or sanjay) weer serving at the "rose garden".

Last but not the least would ther be a pay and benefits disparity in the sixth pay commision if any of the above were true?

Being in the armed forces is just a profession it has nothing to do with becoming a saintlypersonyou and i are not serving members that does not make us any less patriots; however what it does is it does not give us a clear understanding of the hardship in the forces, this understanding i beleive is necessary for anyone who wishaes to take decisions based on which the future of the forces shall be defined.
It also adds to pride among the soldiers, my friend served with prince harry in afghanistan(royal gurkhas);it gives him a sense of pride to serve in amilitary wher the grandson of your commander in cheif serves alongside him.for any soldier his country comes first to see taht the leaders of that country care as much to send their own progeny into harm's way goeas along way in increasing troop morale.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Agree with you wholeheartedly! no profession not even one of a saint can dictate wheteher you are really a saint. however tell me a few things, answer from your heart!
1) would the IAF still be stuck with MIG21'S if Mr Sharad pawar's daughter had to fly the plane?
2)would indian artillery still be stuck without modern guns if Mr laloo yadav's son was the commander of aregiment of artillery?
3)would indian tankers still have to sweat it out with defective russian hardware if Mr bal thackeray's grandson was a maintenace engineer?
4)Would the IA still have a lack of arctic gear in siachen,if Mr gandhi(rahul or sanjay) weer serving at the "rose garden".

Last but not the least would ther be a pay and benefits disparity in the sixth pay commision if any of the above were true?

Being in the armed forces is just a profession it has nothing to do with becoming a saintlypersonyou and i are not serving members that does not make us any less patriots; however what it does is it does not give us a clear understanding of the hardship in the forces, this understanding i beleive is necessary for anyone who wishaes to take decisions based on which the future of the forces shall be defined.
It also adds to pride among the soldiers, my friend served with prince harry in afghanistan(royal gurkhas);it gives him a sense of pride to serve in amilitary wher the grandson of your commander in cheif serves alongside him.for any soldier his country comes first to see taht the leaders of that country care as much to send their own progeny into harm's way goeas along way in increasing troop morale.
First of all, You dont need any Politicos sons and daughters to serve in the Army for them to understand the problem.

The Problem is with our bureaucracy and its laid back approach. The Politicians wouldnt let their sons and daughters anywhere near the Armed forces because its easier for them to Stop their Sons and Daughters than Overhaul the entire armed forces!!

About the Migs, and people calling them Flying coffins, I dont agree much with them. Its not the Russians faults that we still operate these and that we take years to make up our minds to purchase things and get it through red tapism! If we had proper trainers for the Pilots, that itself would solve half the problems. The other half of faulty spares and parts, can be addressed. But again, the Bureaucracy.

Stop all the hurdles facing in our acquisition process and you wont face much problem.

But this cant be done overnight, and I seriously dont know how this can be done, but it has to be done!

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
First of all, You dont need any Politicos sons and daughters to serve in the Army for them to understand the problem.

The Problem is with our bureaucracy and its laid back approach. The Politicians wouldnt let their sons and daughters anywhere near the Armed forces because its easier for them to Stop their Sons and Daughters than Overhaul the entire armed forces!!

About the Migs, and people calling them Flying coffins, I dont agree much with them. Its not the Russians faults that we still operate these and that we take years to make up our minds to purchase things and get it through red tapism! If we had proper trainers for the Pilots, that itself would solve half the problems. The other half of faulty spares and parts, can be addressed. But again, the Bureaucracy.

Stop all the hurdles facing in our acquisition process and you wont face much problem.

But this cant be done overnight, and I seriously dont know how this can be done, but it has to be done!
The Bureaucracy dances at the whims of the political power wielded by netas,If the political dynasties of our nation had their wards in the forces they would be far more receptive to the demands of the forces and far more sympathetic to the hardship faced by the men on the national frontiers and hence would follow up on defense matters with that much more urgency, that would provide the motivation required by the babus to buck up and get their homework done.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles