BSF plans 10 m-high, 179 km-long wall along Jammu-Pak border

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

India will build a raised embankment along a 179-km stretch on the Jammu sector to pre-empt infiltration or shelling from across the

Pakistan border , says the BSF chief. The embankment, or bund, will be around 135 feet (41 metres) wide and 10 metres high and accommodate bunkers and border outposts.

"The BSF is waiting for the state government to acquire land along the stretch we have identified. The embankment will be followed by fencing," says Subhash Joshi, DG BSF. "There are a few riverine patches too along the border in Jammu. To secure them we are looking for technological solutions."

An official said they were waiting for no-objection-certificates from at least 24 MLAs, a necessity under the state's land acquisition laws.

"Land in 29 villages has already been acquired," says R K Varma, divisional commissioner of Samba in Jammu. Similar exercises have been initiated in Kathua and Jammu districts.

"There are at least two villages in my jurisdiction, Chak Parthyal and Kazalkhurd, where the process has not begun," says Varma. "This is because the border areas are rigged with mines planted during the 1971 war and again during the Kargil war in 1999. Officials cannot go there to carry out a survey." The DG said the BSF will help the state administration to de-mine the areas.

BSF plans 10 m-high, 179 km-long wall along Jammu-Pak border - Indian Express

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
I have been saying for a long time that we need to build atleast a symbolic quarantine wall around pakistan to make them realize what a cancerous society they have become!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
I have been saying for a long time that we need to build atleast a symbolic quarantine wall around pakistan to make them realize what a cancerous society they have become!
There should be a 30 meter wall along Pakistans own border since they have so much Non-State mouse jumping to cross borders and getting killed. :lol:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I have some concerns about this anti-Puke wall. In case of hostilities can't it just be shelled? After all it is made of concrete. I appreciate anti-Puke measures but I don't know how effective this will be in a region like the LoC.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Maybe BSF should look at Berlin Wall or Korean Demilitarized Zone.

LINK:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Demilitarized_Zone
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Wall"Ž

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I have some concerns about this anti-Puke wall. In case of hostilities can't it just be shelled? After all it is made of concrete. I appreciate anti-Puke measures but I don't know how effective this will be in a region like the LoC.
I think this is to curb civilian( read terrorists disguised as civilians) infiltration. In a war like scenario, the wall would be redundant since we would be blowing everything coming at us from across the border to kingdom come.

drkrn

I think this is to curb civilian( read terrorists disguised as civilians) infiltration. In a war like scenario, the wall would be redundant since we would be blowing everything coming at us from across the border to kingdom come.
not necessarily.this wall can provide us hidden covers all along its length ,a tactical advantage to fight pakistan.simply,you dont know where a soldier is all along its length or its possible to destroy it as a whole.

it can halt paksitani advance

pkroyal

Considering the rough figures for constructing a wall of this dimension, it works out to :-

Rs 500 per Sq M (approx)
500 x 41 x 10 x 1000 x 179 = 36,695,000,000 ( about 37,000 Crores)

A scatter brained idea.

Any defensive measure is as good as the people who man it.

Take the battle to the enemy , than fritter away national resource on building border fencing / walls.

As a nation let us not perish like the silk worm in its own cocoon. All walls / defences can be breached.

Resolute single minded national will cannot be dented.

Last edited:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
But we spend a massive amount of money on this wall, just to have it blown to bits anytime the Pukes want! I think we would be much better off having "virtual fences" near the LoC. Automatic satellite and infrared based monitoring with heat and motion detectors etc., that will blast any Paki walking across.

The technology will have great spinoffs. Needless to say, DRDO must not be given this task. It should be given to some private company of repute to start from scratch and build something that fits the needs here.

Compersion

Country flag
why not create a man made river - canal instead of a high wall along that stretch. that would make it difficult to dig underneath depending on the depth (for example ten meters and more).

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
This is not going to be a wall... it is going to be a bund. Hell of a difference.

Expect something like this... only much bigger:

But we spend a massive amount of money on this wall, just to have it blown to bits anytime the Pukes want! I think we would be much better off having "virtual fences" near the LoC. Automatic satellite and infrared based monitoring with heat and motion detectors etc., that will blast any Paki walking across.

The technology will have great spinoffs. Needless to say, DRDO must not be given this task. It should be given to some private company of repute to start from scratch and build something that fits the needs here.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles