British defence cuts leave Falkland islands vulnerable

ashdoc

Country flag
The Argentines have a long-standing claim on the Falkland islands since a couple of centuries . The British conquered them during the days of colonialism . The British govt was ready to give them back , but the Britishers settled in Falklands , numbering only 1800 (!) , refused to accept Argentine sovereignity , even though the Argentines promised them consessions .

The Argentines eventually invaded in 1982 , but were defeated by the British fleet which sailed halfway round the world , with the aircraft carrier borne Sea Harrier vertical take-off and landing aircraft outclassing the Argentine aircraft in air combat .The Indians promptly bought it for our own aircraft carriers......

It was the first ' high-tech ' conflict with supersonic aircraft , and advanced missiles being used . The french Exocet missiles were particularly effective , destroying British ships.

Today , with defence cuts , the aircraft carriers are being reduced , and the Sea Harriers are being scrapped , leaving the Falkland islands dangerously vulnerable to repeat invasion by Argentina .All this while oil is being explored there , making the islands important .

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ands-feel-safe-amid-defence-cuts-2130028.html

Last edited:

sandeepdg

I hope these islands are taken over by the Argentinians, since it was taken over by the Britishers some 200 years ago.

Nonynon

Something I didn't understand, do those Islands have an Argentinian majority?

Britain's left wing is constantly on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised to hear if that's how this initiative was started.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
RAF is so overstretched right now, they wouldn't be able to move anything over there without shutting down ops in Libya and or Afghanistan.

ashdoc

Country flag
Something I didn't understand, do those Islands have an Argentinian majority?

Britain's left wing is constantly on the rise, I wouldn't be surprised to hear if that's how this initiative was started.
no the inhabitants are british by origin ....they cant see anything else other than the union jack flying --otherwise the british govt was ready to give the islands to the argentines in the seventies .

AOE

The Falklands War was organized during the Argentine military Junta, but that was 30 years ago. If the inhabitans of the island wish to become part of Argentina, that is their choice.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The Falklands War was organized during the Argentine military Junta, but that was 30 years ago. If the inhabitans of the island wish to become part of Argentina, that is their choice.
The inhabitants are British colonists, they enjoy massive subsidy from the UK. If foreign French territories do not want to leave, why would inherited British? Argies will provide no money to support their economy.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i think india should help the argentines in invading the falklands and teach a lesson to the british similar to what we did in 1961 in goa.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles