BREAKING NEWS-Militants shoot down US drone in S. Waziristan

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Militants shoot down US drone in S. Waziristan: officials - GEO.tv
http://geo.tv/3-7-2009/36761.htm

Updated at: 1852 PST, Saturday, March 07, 2009
MIRANSHAH: Taliban militants on Saturday shot down a pilotless US drone in tribal area bordering Afghanistan, officials said.

Residents and a local police official said two drones were flying low over a village in the South Waziristan tribal district when one of them was hit by militant fire.

"We heard the firing by Taliban and then a drone fell down," tribal police official Israr Khan told a foreign news agency.

Another security official said the drone crashed in a forest near a Pakistani border post. Pakistan's chief military spokesman said the reports of a drone crash were being investigated.

"We have come to know that something has happened there, but we do not have any confirmation," major general Athar Abbas told the news agency in Islamabad.

"We are further investigating and trying to find out."

More than two dozen suspected US drone attacks have been carried out in Pakistan since August 2008, killing more than 200 people, most of them militants.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Will the USA deny this or will they act up with more drone attacks?

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
So what weapons do these rag-tag militants have that they use to shoot down drones... is it the same Stingers that were given to them by Uncle Sam in the 70s and 80s, or have the acquired new SAMs to guard regions controlled by them ??? ;;);;);;)

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Last time the talibs brought down a drone the Pak army collected the remains, then a Helicopter too made a rough landing after getting fired at not that long ago, and all these cases the US denied it, why? I dont get why the US so bent up on having this zero casualty doctrine even when it was a unmanned drone! It would be interesting to know how the talibs brought down the drone though!

EnlightenedMonk

By the way, I just remembered... Pakistan was asking for drone technology from the US, right ???

Now, getting that technology seems easy. You just scour the forest and pick up the wreckage. You might get some pretty good parts which could be studied, analysed and then copied to possibly make a drone of your own...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

ahmedsid

Top Gun
the Pakistanis got a similar drone downed by the talibs not too long ago, and the Pak army uses indigenous drones to scout the areas, they too have drones but none as good as what the americans have. Maybe they will get it sooner than later after these downed drones are studied.

EnlightenedMonk

Last time the talibs brought down a drone the Pak army collected the remains, then a Helicopter too made a rough landing after getting fired at not that long ago, and all these cases the US denied it, why? I dont get why the US so bent up on having this zero casualty doctrine even when it was a unmanned drone! It would be interesting to know how the talibs brought down the drone though!
Yep, I suspect they used stingers given by Uncle Sam... But, you never know, they might have just acquired some shiny new SAMs.... hhehehehehe... ;;);;);;)

EnlightenedMonk

the Pakistanis got a similar drone downed by the talibs not too long ago, and the Pak army uses indigenous drones to scout the areas, they too have drones but none as good as what the americans have. Maybe they will get it sooner than later after these downed drones are studied.
I doubt if their drones are capable of firing missile et al.

I wonder, coming to think of it, are our own drones capable of doing attack or are they only for reconnaissance?

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Pak drones cant fire missiles, and I dont know if ours can, but I doubt whether our drones have reached the sophistication of the US drones, but we can surely get the tech from Israel.

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
Wow

What's the big deal so they shot down a drone I don't see the big deal. Its kind of strange reading all the things you guys are saying about America. I see there are some deep seeded beliefs going on here funny I didn't feel that way about India.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
lol Its not that we Hate the USA or anything, its just that the US has a really hard time acknowledgin whenever it suffers a casuality, manned or otherwise. They got this tendency to suppress the figueres, and Last time a drone came down they denied it, We just want to know how they plan to do it this time.

Lastly, the US is saying its winning the WOT,and the talibs are getting weaker, but We dont see anything of that sort happening! we see suicide attacks after attacks, we see drones being shot down! Whats happening? Who is lying? who is telling the truth?

screwterrorists

Founding Member
Damn. Not good.
But still for the effectiveness of these drones in attacking militants, they are totally worth it. Its a good thing there is no loss of life as these are unmanned.

Also, these drones do not cost that much right?

ahmedsid

Top Gun
They are costly bro, maybe someone can enlighten us on the exact figures, But yeah, they are awesomely effective in blowing these talibs to their bloody graves!

screwterrorists

Founding Member
Well i meant cheap relatively.
I read somewhere, cannot recall exact figures, but a bunch of drones can be purchased for the price of ONE F-22. The US military is hence keen on obtaining on more squadrons of unmanned drones as opposed to a couple more F-22s.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Well, you cannot compare the F22 and a Drone! They are for totally different purposes, one is a 5th Multi Role Fighter and the Other is..... well an Unmanned Drone.

The F22 is damn costly, For the price of One F22, u can buy multiple other aircrafts, but does that make it less deadly? No. Hence the F22 cant be compared to the Drone I believe.

EnlightenedMonk

What's the big deal so they shot down a drone I don't see the big deal. Its kind of strange reading all the things you guys are saying about America. I see there are some deep seeded beliefs going on here funny I didn't feel that way about India.
Look, I don't recall anything that we said which would be even remotely derogatory to America or its interests... so, could you please care to elaborate on what you found funny or hurtful?

EnlightenedMonk

Well, you cannot compare the F22 and a Drone! They are for totally different purposes, one is a 5th Multi Role Fighter and the Other is..... well an Unmanned Drone.

The F22 is damn costly, For the price of One F22, u can buy multiple other aircrafts, but does that make it less deadly? No. Hence the F22 cant be compared to the Drone I believe.
I second Ahmed on this. Don't compare apples and oranges. A drone is an invaluable asset in such places, but when it comes to wiping out air forces or taking out larger surface assets, an F-22 is definitely a more potent weapon.

You'll need a bit of both. For the time being, more drones and less F-22s if you ask me.

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
derogatory

I don't recall anything that we said which would be even remotely derogatory to America or its interests.
Lastly, the US is saying its winning the WOT,and the talibs are getting weaker, but We dont see anything of that sort happening!
You don't see much I think for a few reasons the first being Pakistan. Pakistan's failure to rid their own country, government, yes government the very people who say their against them actually provide support for them and even a safe area ion which to hide and even get stronger.
It makes fighting a foe difficult for example do you think if these were Indians going back in forth on Pakistan's border this would being happening?

Just saying those words are derogatory because it sounds like we not trying my countries soldiers are being killed in a country that receives most of it's support from Pakistan who plays both sides. Outside fighters come from from other countries and fly in and even train in Pakistan, armed, feed, etc, and then are protected as they travel to A-stan to fight against US and other troops. How do you really stop that if parts Pakistan's government are directly helping?

but We dont see anything of that sort happening! we see suicide attacks after attacks,
A lot of suicide attacks are against each other, yes they kill each other. Most of the bombing are in villages, police stations, etc not waves of suicide bombers going up against American base camps. Pakistan is the root problem because they let this base to take a foothold in their country and did nothing because there government is a part of it. I'm sure they would to blame the US for that but Pakistan is one of the most corrupt counties in the world as India knows all too well.

You may not know that most people in America don't know about India's suffering from the hands of Pakistan's government doing basically nothing. Most people just don't know that India has been fighting bombers and killers for years, I don't understand why so many don't know or why it's not covered but it's not. Yes it needs to be changed I agree 100% India's government and the US government should work together and make sure Americans and the world in general know the terrorist problem India has face and faces daily from groups in Pakistan.

ahmedsid America is trying very hard but Pakistan needs to fixed too we can't even get supplies through on ground. Pakistan's government most likely tell them the times and routes in advance. The joy that is on your border.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Fine, I understand the Predicament USA is in. But what is it doing to get out of it? Was the Iraq war useful in killing the terrorists?? No way, It spawned terrorists. The thing is that USA doesnt realise its being led into a booby trap! lol Yes, It is playing along willingly.

India has been suffering from Terrorism long before Americans could spell terrorism! We would never demean any country fighting terrorists, but we wouldnt hesitate to call a spade a spade, and a Blunder a Blunder!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles