brazil overtakes U.K for 6th place!

John_Rambo

Tihar Jail
Banned
Last edited:

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
bring all our black money and we will be in 4th or 5th place.

these people enjoy our black money stuffed in their banks.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I look forward to the day that U.K. is reduced to a Third World country.

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Russia isn't ahead of India. They are taking India's gdp to be 1.43 trillion $ . India's economic cycle is from April to March unlike January to december.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Watch, UK will be out of top 10 in next 20 years, even South Korea has potential to surpass UK.

You don't have much regard for UK. But I think that country only needs a little leadership and it will be back kicking again like it's the 1990s...

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Looks like Brazil is beating us to it,India was the only country which went back ward from 9th to 10th with Russia again over takeing us. How can we let this happen when we where the ones who where supposed to over take China? I get very very depressed by this moronic teeth less congress party ruining the economy.

Cookies must be enabled | The Australian

domain-b.com : Brazil overtakes UK to become the world's sixth largest economy
india's projected real growth is slated between 7-7.5%, for russia the same is 4.5-5%

indian rupee has depreciated from 45 to 53 to a dollar, depreciation of 18%. russian rubble has depreciated from 30.56 to 31.18 to a dollar, a depreciation of a mere 2%.

inflation rate for russia is slated to be around 7-8%, and india at around 10-12%.

the drop is because of depreciation in rupee. once the global out look stabilizes, there will be strong inflow of cash and rupee will trade back at around the previous levels. the drop is a temperary phenomenon.

my sense is, the government has on purpose allowed the rupee to depreciate to these levels, but we should be closer to the low levels that rupee will see, next quarter things should change.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I think the Brits will continue to disappoint you.
Brits abuse welfare even more than low-class Americans do. Sorry but I don't see anything spectacular coming from that island. They had their time in the sun, now its time for them to get back in the dustbin of history.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Brits abuse welfare even more than low-class Americans do. Sorry but I don't see anything spectacular coming from that island. They had their time in the sun, now its time for them to get back in the dustbin of history.

The Brits still has one of the World's most creative talent pool. To me this is a very precious resource that segregates real powerhouses from wannabees. The current power-sharing Government however is one of the most uninspiring of UK's Governments. Although I must agree their welfare system is dragging it down.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i may add to what i said, india should be at the 7th position at most in another 2-3 years max, which means surpassing italy and britian. not counting russia in the list.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Countries like Britain will remain relevant because they will continue to have a good RnD and tech base.

Only when countries like India start to innovate will they feel the pinch.

Param

If "dustbin" means 3rd world levels its not going to happen. It would be too much to expect them to get reduced to our levels.
Even if Brazil or other countries overtake it, UK will continue to have a higher per capita owing to less population.And of course not to forget its R&D base,expertise and the ability to attract talent form all over the world.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Watch, UK will be out of top 10 in next 20 years, even South Korea has potential to surpass UK.
UK has 25% more population. South Koreans are hard-working and at same time world's most nationalistic people. But they are limited by one thing, their population. I know they aspire to rival both China and Japan, but it's simply not realistic in practical terms.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
india's projected real growth is slated between 7-7.5%, for russia the same is 4.5-5%

indian rupee has depreciated from 45 to 53 to a dollar, depreciation of 18%. russian rubble has depreciated from 30.56 to 31.18 to a dollar, a depreciation of a mere 2%.

inflation rate for russia is slated to be around 7-8%, and india at around 10-12%.

the drop is because of depreciation in rupee. once the global out look stabilizes, there will be strong inflow of cash and rupee will trade back at around the previous levels. the drop is a temperary phenomenon.

my sense is, the government has on purpose allowed the rupee to depreciate to these levels, but we should be closer to the low levels that rupee will see, next quarter things should change.
But even at 53 Rupee is still overvalued. Unlike other BRIC countries India is unique in having a service-based economy, thus india's economy is less relevant to the outside world than her GDP number implies. Just think this way every haircut contributes to India's economy, but to someone living in Japan for example, that is completely irrelevant.

I think India's continuing weakness in manufacturing will lead to further drops in the value of Rupee in the long run.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
But even at 53 Rupee is still overvalued. Unlike other BRIC countries India is unique in having a service-based economy, thus india's economy is less relevant to the outside world than her GDP number implies. Just think this way every haircut contributes to India's economy, but to someone living in Japan for example, that is completely irrelevant.

I think India's continuing weakness in manufacturing will lead to further drops in the value of Rupee in the long run.
indian rupee is a highly undervalued currency, it is believed the rupee will appreciate if not more at least in the early 20s over a period of time but that will take time, the industrialization phase that india is seeing, the rupee is expected to trade between 40-50 mark.

why isnt rupee in focus like yuan? indian exports for the moment do not threaten the west exports as much, the rupee remains convertible, the rupee has shown sings of swings where in 2007-08 it appreciated from the lows of 47-48 that it touched then to 38-39, and when there is pressure on rupee and the government isnt willing to involve it self much it can depreciate from 45 to 53, so there arent any deliberate signs of manipulation in the exchange value of rupee.

there is already a decent push in manufacturing, the problem in manufacturing isnt the valuation of rupee but internal factors like labor reforms, implementation of GST, land acquisition, infrastructure constraints, etc.

indian exports when the going has been good have consistently shown the potential of growing between 20-25% as a matter of fact manufacturing as a % of gdp has a bigger share today than it was a few years back, so there are enough indications that things can run on track, but now the more important issue is to address the bottle necks that exist fundamentally within.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The collapse of the rupee is a prime opportunity for India to start stealing away Chinese factories. I hope GoI is trying to take advantage of it.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The collapse of the rupee is a prime opportunity for India to start stealing away Chinese factories. I hope GoI is trying to take advantage of it.
I wish they were. This sliding will actually hurt us then help us.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Rupee should be depreciated but secure the energy sources first.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles