Brazil MMRCA contest.

Kranthi

Why are the EFT & SU-35 out of contest ?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

p2prada

Why are the EFT & SU-35 out of contest ?

EFT was too expensive.

Su-35 does not come with proper spares and servicing support.

F-16 Block 60/70 - unknown. I think it's because there is no further growth potential and nobody is willing to buy it.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Saab Wins Brazil's F-X2 Fighter Contest With Gripen NG
Flightglobal

Brazil has selected the Saab Gripen E/F for the 36 aircraft F-X2 requirement to replace its air force's older combat types.

With an acquisition cost in the region of $4.5 billion, the Gripens will replace the Dassault Mirage 2000C fighters operated by the 1st Air Defence Group and a number of the modernised Northrop F-5EMs in four other Air Force squadrons.

The long-awaited announcement was made on 18 December by Brazilian defence minister Celso Amorim and Brazilian air force Chief Gen Juniti Saito.

The decision was driven by aircraft performance, transfer of technology and low through-life costs, according to the officials.

Contract negotiation is expected to last between 10 and 12 months.

Saab has guaranteed the total transfer of technology of "all systems" including the weapons command software, which will allow future integration of Brazilian-developed missiles and weapons.

Deliveries are expected to start 48 months from contract signing and will eventually reach the rate of 12 aircraft per year.

Existing Gripen C/Ds operated by the Royal Swedish Air Force can also be supplied to Brazil in order to replace recently-retired Mirage 2000C/Ds.

The older Swedish aircraft will be eventually replaced by the new Gripen E/F models.

Amorim says "besides this contract we are also currently open to setting up other partnerships, especially regarding fifth-generation fighters".

Amorim adds Brazil has a strong relationship with the US and is not concerned about limitations to US-sourced components.

Commenting about the Gripen NG, general Saito says "the intellectual property of this new fighter will be ours".

Saab had earlier promised to develop a $150 million aerostructures assembly plant in the city of São Bernardo do Campo in the State of São Paulo.

For four years since publication of a short-list, the F-X2 fighter replacement program has pitted Gripen against Dassault's Rafale and the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

Most recently, media reports about a visit by French President Francois Hollande to Brazil stoked speculation about the Rafale's possible selection.

Dassault, which has been working towards a new deal in Brazil for the past 15 years, has expressed its disappointment with the selection of the Swedish fighter.

"The Gripen is a lighter, single engine aircraft that does not match the Rafale in terms of performance and therefore does not carry the same price tag," it says. "This financial rationale fails to take into account either the Rafale's cost-effectiveness or the level of technology offered."
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/military-aviation/5155-brazil-mmrca-contest-11.html

The dark horse won! But if I am asked it's a practical choice for Brazil. Gripen is often an understimated excellent multi-role fighter. But the NSA issue could have weighed heavily on the Brazilian decision though.

IBSA

Country flag
I don't like the choice. Grippen has near 70% American parts. Brazil will continue in the USA hands this way. :hair:

Last edited:

p2prada

Saab Wins Brazil's F-X2 Fighter Contest With Gripen NG
Flightglobal

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/military-aviation/5155-brazil-mmrca-contest-11.html

The dark horse won! But if I am asked it's a practical choice for Brazil. Gripen is often an understimated excellent multi-role fighter. But the NSA issue could have weighed heavily on the Brazilian decision though.
Rafale is for countries who either have too much money to burn, like the Middle Eastern countries, or who want high levels of capabilities for an actual war, like India.

Any other country going for Rafale is far fetched.

It is a good choice for Brazil, as it is for Switzerland before.

I don't understand what they mean by the Brazilians will own IPR on Gripen NG. It would seem like Brazil will have customized avionics and will pay for its development in Sweden.

It would be interesting what they are going to do about their 5th gen requirement. Perhaps partner with Saab.

Kranthi

Rafale is for countries who either have too much money to burn, like the Middle Eastern countries, or who want high levels of capabilities for an actual war, like India.

I don't understand what they mean by the Brazilians will own IPR on Gripen NG. It would seem like Brazil will have customized avionics and will pay for its development in Sweden.

It would be interesting what they are going to do about their 5th gen requirement. Perhaps partner with Saab.
Total technology transfer.so he said brazil will own the IPR.he should have said license though..

how would lca match with the earlier gripen or this NG ?

p2prada

Total technology transfer.so he said brazil will own the IPR.he should have said license though..

how would lca match with the earlier gripen or this NG ?

LCA Mk2 would be between the two in capability.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

That would mean that Brazil can produce Gripen NGs since it owns the IPR? This is murky.

Austin

OEM always own the IPR and they lic it to be produced unless specific the component is made by Brazil that could be owned by them or jointly.

p2prada

Will the Brazilians be assembling the jet or just purchasing fly away units?

vishwaprasad

Country flag
I did not like the choice of Brazil...for a geographically huge and militarily/economically most powerful Latin american state twin engined Rafale capable of carrying 9 tons load with much larger combat radius than light weight single engined Gripen (70% american made) was a perfect choice...but they missed it out...but after all they don't have powerful nuclear neighbors on east and west like India.... congrats to Brazil for a new Fighter....

vishwaprasad

Country flag
I don't understand that why are they retiring their M2Ks so quick, afterall with an upgrade like our M2K program they will be as good as F-16 block 50s...Gripen and upgraded M2K could have formed a deadly combination in Brazil air force...

off topic but I would love to see India buying those M2ks from Brazil at some lower cost. It will be a tremendous boost to our M2K fleet.

Last edited:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Brazil may wait
over four years for new
fighters, says Saab

SAO PAULO, Dec 20 (Reuters) - Brazil is not likely to receive the first of its new fighter jets from Saab AB for more than four years, the head of the Swedish company's aerospace unit told Reuters on Friday, underscoring the need for stopgap aircraft in coming years. Brazil's Gripen NG should arrive after Sweden takes the first deliveries of the next-generation aircraft in early 2018, said Lennart Sindahl in a telephone interview. "Everyone expects the national air force to take the first deliveries, before we start exporting," he said. That will leave the Brazilian air force waiting to replenish an old, shrinking fleet. Military officials said on Wednesday they expected to sign a $4.5 billion final contract for the 36 new jets within a year, with the first deliveries arriving four years after that. While Brazil waits, the country is negotiating with Sweden to lease existing Gripen C/D, Sindahl said, in order to offset the loss of a dozen Mirage fighters at the end of this year. The Swedish air force is flying 98 Gripens, according to Saab's website, and has ordered the upgrade of 60 Gripen C to the next-generation model, with deliveries beginning in 2018. The Swiss armed forces have also ordered 22 of the newest Gripens, pending a national referendum next year.

CORRECTED-Brazil may wait over four years for new fighters, says Saab | Reuters

mehrotraprince

Country flag
Sweden to loan fighter jets to Brazil for 2016 Olympics

Rio de Janeiro, Dec 21 (IANS) Sweden will loan Brazil several Gripen NG fighter jets, the kind the South American country recently purchased from Swedish firm Saab, in time for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

The jets will be loaned to Brazil by the Swedish Air Force, since the 36 purchased aircraft won't be ready for delivery until 2023, reports Xinhua.

Brazil made the purchase to upgrade its air force fleet of Mirage jets, which are about to be retired.

Brazilian Air Force Brigadier Jose Augusto Crepaldi Affonso, who headed the decision to buy the Swedish jets, over US or French-made ones, said that six to 12 jets will be lent to Brazil in time to bolster security during the summer games.

Asked if the jets will be in Brazil in time for the 2014 FIFA World Cup finals, to be hosted by 12 Brazilian cities in June and July, Crepaldi said it was unlikely, as the negotiations on the loan have yet to take place.

"I think the chances are too less, around 20 percent," said Crepaldi. "But for the Olympic Games, they will certainly be here."

Sweden to loan fighter jets to Brazil for 2016 Olympics

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Cry babies. It's strike 3 now for Rafale. France better take care of India since it's its only hope a a real substantial sale. Anyway, by now they should understand that their plane is simply too expensive for the 4.5. gen capabilities they're offering. Gripen (especially the NG) maybe at a disadvantage against the Rafale in terms of pure capabilities (but I think not much) but it is good enough to deter the kind of enemies (which is not much) Brazil is likely to face. And from a strategic point of view, this Brazilian buy, which is pregnant with American and British parts, is an acknowledgment that Brazil is likely to work closer to the orbit of the American-Anglo alliance than any other faction (despite the outward brouhaha over NSA spying).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles