Brazil/Argentina recognizes Palestinian state

A.V.

BUENOS AIRES (AFP) – Argentina said Monday it recognized a "free and independent" Palestinian state, days after Brazil drew sharp criticism from Israel and US lawmakers for taking the same step.
Argentine President Cristina Kirchner wrote to Palestinian leader
"The Argentine government recognizes Palestine as a free and independent state within the borders defined in 1967," Argentine Foreign Minister Hector Timerman said, reading from the letter.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2010120...inianmideastdiplomacyargentina_20101206175800

In a move that took Washington by surprise, Brazil has recognized the state of Palestine along the 1967 borders before Israel's seizure of the West Bank,

http://www.politico.com/blogs/laurarozen/1210/Brazil_explains_recognition_of_Palestine_.html

Brazil says it has recognized the state of Palestine based on borders at the time of Israel's 1967 conquest of the West Bank.
The Foreign Ministry says the recognition is in response to a request made by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas last month to President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
Silva sent a letter to Abbas on Dec. 1, saying Brazil recognizes Palestine and hopes that the recognition will help lead to states of Israel and Palestine "that will coexist peacefully and in security."
The foreign ministry says that the recognition is "in line with Brazil's historic willingness to contribute to peace between Israel and Palestine."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz17Wna2yAt

shaka

I have to say Brazil's foreign policy is shaping to be an independent one, good for world overall, moving towards multi polarism. Would be interesting to see if India can keep its foreign policy independent.

A.V. whats Russia's stand on this(Palestinian state)?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Not in tune with brazils foreign policy but it does surprise me that they have taken this step. I wonder if the chinese at some point do that to score brownie points in the battle for mid east oil given that it knows israel will not be useful for it as its dictated by washingtons policy?? Or does it still hope israel will still be useful?

But I always thought brazil more or less went with the US. Now how would this decision will affect the prospect of brazil getting the UNSC seat is to be seen. I am sure it can now forget american support.

Country flag
Brazil has strong ties with Iran. Brazil has an independent foreign policy they know there is much more to gain in trade with the arab then follow the US lead and support Israel and gain nothing.

SHASH2K2

Brazil is trying to create an International Image of its own and as an independent nation but Timing is bad IMHO . on one hand they tried to get Arab nations on their side but at same time pissed of USA. Now UNSC expansion will get complicated as China will try to omit Japan and Include Brazil while USA will do just opposite. Lets wait and watch..

Country flag
Maybe Brazil feels the Chinese and Arab influence in the UN will be greater than USA's role in getting them the seat?? USA is already pissed off that Brazil did not chose the Hornet in their Mrca and the announcement by their president that Rafele was the winner.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Maybe Brazil feels the Chinese and Arab influence in the UN will be greater than USA's role in getting them the seat?? USA is already pissed off that Brazil did not chose the Hornet in their Mrca and the announcement by their president that Rafele was the winner.
LF USA can easily pit anyone from Arab world as contender on promise that they need to oppose Brazil. But all these politics will only delay the process. Anyways someone from Arab world will be there in UNSC for sure.

Country flag
LF USA can easily pit anyone from Arab world as contender on promise that they need to oppose Brazil. But all these politics will only delay the process. Anyways someone from Arab world will be there in UNSC for sure.
Arabs should be represented ,but it will be a political mess with the present US view that Arabs can be sacrificed for Israel on any issue. This political nonsense by USA has cost USA a lot of lost buisness.Take for example Obama's trip to India and Sarkosy's trip to India ,Sarkosy left with 20 billion in deals and Obama left with nothing.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Arabs should be represented ,but it will be a political mess with the present US view that Arabs can be sacrificed for Israel on any issue. This political nonsense by USA has cost USA a lot of lost buisness.Take foe example Obama's trip to India and Sarkosy's trip to India Sarkosy left with 20 billion in deals and Obama left with nothing.
LF till now USA has been able to manage balance between Israel and Arabs . They are able to keep them both happy. What I was trying to say that Brazil may have done this to appease Arabs while USA can give carrot of UNSC representation to Arabs and then can nullify the gain of Brazil. I am sure USA will not take this lightly .

Country flag
LF till now USA has been able to manage balance between Israel and Arabs . They are able to keep them both happy. What I was trying to say that Brazil may have done this to appease Arabs while USA can give carrot of USC representation to Arabs and then can nullify the gain of Brazil. I am sure USA will not take this lightly .
If USA makes a move like this to get even with Brazil they risk losing the whole South American Continent, where many nations already have strong anti-American sentiment.

SHASH2K2

If USA makes a move like this to get even with Brazil they risk losing the whole South American Continent, where many nations already have strong anti-American sentiment.
You are correct and USA have risk of loosing South American continent . But these are all backdoor politics they need not declare it openly . I think Wikileaks has given us insight about how dirty geopolitics become . USA need not do it openly . all they need to do is to support someone which opposes Brazil . Maybe Argentina can be pitted against Brazil ?

Country flag
You are correct and USA have risk of loosing South American continent . But these are all backdoor politics they need not declare it openly . I think Wikileaks has given us insight about how dirty geopolitics become . USA need not do it openly . all they need to do is to support someone which opposes Brazil . Maybe Argentina can be pitted against Brazil ?
Argentina had a war with Britain for Falkland Islands where US helped Britain defeat them so this is unlikely, only quasi ally US has is Columbia, strange coincidence that all the major drug producing nations are US allies.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
USA under Obama is not going to mind such recognistion. America is desperate to improve its PR with Islamic world and can not afford to have more fanatics ariving at her shores form destablized regions.
USA wants to solve this issue and such recognistions are going to creat pressure on Isreal for the setlement. Borders before 1967 will be negociated.

SHASH2K2

Argentina had a war with Britain for Falkland Islands where US helped Britain defeat them so this is unlikely, only quasi ally US has is Columbia, strange coincidence that all the major drug producing nations are US allies.
If I am correct then USA ditched UK in Falkland war . UK was alone in fighting Argentina . I remembered I read an article which mentions about how USA ditched UK as it needed Argentina at that time .

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Columbia is de facto Yankee puppet, but the most important Yank ally in the region is Chile.

Just look at Chile's air force and compare it to its neighbors. You will get my point.

ejazr

Ambassador
First of all this is not a big deal at all. This is recognition of Palestine in the 1967 borders which is what about 90 countries in 1988 recognized as the state of Palestine. These includes almost all countries of Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe including China, India and former USSR (present day Russia). All these countries recognize Palestine within the 1967 borders. This is what the Oslo accords between Israel and PLO was all about. Recognition of Palestine doesn't really change anything materially on the ground.

South America, Western Europe, N. America (mainly Canada US and Mexico) and Australia are the only holdouts. Besides, even those who don't have full diplomatic relations with Palestine have at least recognition of Palestine and relations with the PA. Palestine has its own mission at the UN and even FIFA recognizes a Palestine football team separate from Israel.

A brief list of which countries recognized Palestine when can be see at their wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_relations_of_the_Palestinian_National_Authority

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Columbia is de facto Yankee puppet, but the most important Yank ally in the region is Chile.

Just look at Chile's air force and compare it to its neighbors. You will get my point.
I think Brazil is still more of a US puppet alongside Chile rather than Chile being the only one. Brazil has only become independent in its policy in the last 1 year when it offered to enrich Iran's uranium alongside Turkey and Russia. Other than that, it has always been a US puppet in terms of foreign policy and approach. Argentina also has relative US turning towards.

Also Chile's AF is nothing compared to Venezuelans who are armed with both the same F-16s that Chile has as well as around 40 Su-30MKV2s, with a stated intent to purchase around 80 Su-35s (RIA Novosti had some article about Chavez planning to get that amount) and 20 Mi-28 gunships additionally. In fact, Brazilian economy is a blessing to its modernization of military otherwise Venezuelans would be the most armed to teeth south Americans.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles