Brain imaging technology - possible threat to national security

agentx

(Have to explain the gist prior to the actual question, in shortest & simple way I could)
Scientists from the university of california, in berkeley have been successful in tracing the spoken words to the pattern of electrical brain activity &, so can they see natural & eye scanned visuals on the screen.

In simple words, the auditory human sense can be heard & visual senses can be extracted too, including human thoughts. That means complete mind reading is now possible with advanced computer software emulation.
The idea is to measure the blood flow in the 'visual cortex', which is fed to the computer through the brain scanner.

The best part is, this technology can be combined with long range scanners, which can scan a particular persons mind, whether he's on walk, bus, train or a bike. The thoughts can be read on the go, even without the person knowing it; i.e. thoughts can be eavesdropped. This can be achieved using, The MMIP technology, which is based on interactions at the subatomic level where the distinction between mind and matter disappears and effects become instantaneous over any distance(*1)

A. Advantages
1. Can read minds
2. Help paralytic patients
3. Help people who cant speak
4. Can be used for military purposes & sting operations
5. Can be combined with consoles & used for mind gaming, robotics & stuff.
B. Disadvantages:-
1. Breach in privacy
2. Can extract, through an individual, an important, secure & confidential information of individual, state or even a country
3. If developed or used by sinners, can be highly dangerous
4. Eavesdropping
5. No way to neutralize this technology
6. Reasearchers hack brain for pin numbers, debit cards, atm & bank accounts to uncover a security threat of this tech in an experiment(*2).
The technology is new, interesting & helpful in a sense; but, its disadvantages are far more dangerous & sensitive. The references give basics while complete information is a study of various articles all around the web.

REFERENCES/ SOURCES:-
Scientists use brain imaging to reveal the movies in our mind
http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/(year 2008)
Interchange Laboratories (year 2009) (*1)
Berkeley Scientists Successfully 'Hack' Brain To Obtain Private Data � CBS San Francisco (*2)

Hence, this being biggest security threat, now the question is, how can illegal use of this be detected? must not this be banned?, in my opinion such illegal use can cause disaster & must be banned right from the time you know where it is, if used illegally. (the intentions of question is not against any of the people in the article itself, but illegal usage if any of them inventions)
By Ricky,
malad,
bombay,
india.

agentx

Admin, why changed the title? Lol. Its ok.
Btw, title was, how can defence of any country detect, get hold, ban & punish the illegal user of science & tech?

ant80

I work in the field of fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging). I know about these types of technologies. Just because blood flow is one way when you think something doesn't mean it represents the thought. Neural networks are more complicated than that. Two different patterns of thought can have the same blood flow patterns. One blood flow pattern can be generated from multiple different patterns of thought. fMRI is based on BOLD (blood oxygen level dependent effect). It measures blood flow patterns in the brain, but we still have to analyze the images externally in order to determine blood flow patterns. The level technology required in attaining even the truth-brain-image (like in the movie Salt) is ways away. We don't even know the physics of how to do it, leave alone design equipment that can determine things like this. In other words, don't sweat it.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Once I had a CAT scan of my head for a reason I can't even remember. The doctor said, "Well, Mr. Ewald, I can tell you that you have an unusually thick skull." True story.

Must be my German heritage. :)

agentx

I know what I said is right. U seem to have less info on the Mri thing. Just visit this forum
Freedomfchs Forum
u'll get enormous info including real life examples of people suffering from electronic harrasment (which includes the topic covered in this post). I m sure, u'll be satisfied & accept the fact on remote neural monitoring. I could've explained your question instead of posting just a link here, but, I m not here for explaining sciences, my question is about a threat. Shouldnt such illegal use be banned & such people punished heavily?
Now even if u dont believe a remote 'neural monitoring' thing, suppose that a person being held an eeg headset being put on his head & data being recorded unwillingly(take the refrence *2) & now try & answer the question.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles