Brain Drain in China

ant80

NYTimes Article.

Wary of Future, Professionals Leave China in Record Numbers
BEIJING — At 30, Chen Kuo had what many Chinese dream of: her own apartment and a well-paying job at a multinational corporation. But in mid-October, Ms. Chen boarded a midnight flight for Australia to begin a new life with no sure prospects.

Like hundreds of thousands of Chinese who leave each year, she was driven by an overriding sense that she could do better outside China. Despite China's tremendous economic successes in recent years, she was lured by Australia's healthier environment, robust social services and the freedom to start a family in a country that guarantees religious freedoms.

"It's very stressful in China — sometimes I was working 128 hours a week for my auditing company," Ms. Chen said in her Beijing apartment a few hours before leaving. "And it will be easier raising my children as Christians abroad. It is more free in Australia."

As China's Communist Party prepares a momentous leadership change in early November, it is losing skilled professionals like Ms. Chen in record numbers. In 2010, the last year for which complete statistics are available, 508,000 Chinese left for the 34 developed countries that make up the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. That is a 45 percent increase over 2000.

cont...
Not everything is awesome in China.

Yijiuliuer

Tihar Jail
Banned
NYTimes Article.

Wary of Future, Professionals Leave China in Record Numbers
Not everything is awesome in China.
China has seen much worse. During the late 80s and early 90s, they shut down many factories and laid off many experienced engineers, researchers and scientists.
We have had a saying that "paddlers selling marinated tea eggs earns more than rocket scientists", which they did earn more.

It got worsened up to such a large scale that the whole second sector was put in danger, luckily President Jiang was wise enough to rebuild our R&D and infrastructure, as well was keeping more graduates from higher ed to work for national defence industry.

You may be awed if you know how many college kids graduated each year with a STEM related degree in China.

It is a good thing for some of them go abroad, science has no boundaries and you can never drain up 1.3 billion brains. I don't think Indian brains will be drained either., even if it is easier for Indians to work abroad in sensitive sectors since no one yet consider India a major adversary. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

satish007

one of Communist goal is , Country should disappear. my Company even hiring India smart IT guy now.
welcome to China, unlike US, nobody will care about your Visa expire or not, you just need to come and make your money.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles