BrahMos Cruise Missile

captscooby81

Country flag
@sayareakd Just a small doubt in the official video the brahmos launch from the submerged platform is it for the Submarine version ?? Is there any developments towards that version so far ..?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@sayareakd Just a small doubt in the official video the brahmos launch from the submerged platform is it for the Submarine version ?? Is there any developments towards that version so far ..?
Well few info for you, this SL version is made by India, Russians didnt provide any support for this as the tech could be used for SLBM.

We did invest lot into SL tech, Brahmos SL, K15 and K4 all have different systems for SL.

Indian Navy so far has not given any sub to modify, as they dont have sub to spare.

That is causing delay in inducting sub launch version.

Flame Thrower

Sir,
I read http://www.arms-expo.ru/articles/126/84027/
and had to translate it from russian it said "Something similar is happening today with the Russian tank T-90 : we give them supply vehicle sets, they collect them.The same - and with the SU-30MKI: kits - assembly - made in India. The same - with missiles "Onyx", which are output by joint Russian-Indian missile "Brahmos" . "
I did not know this... if this was a fact...
I saw the wikipedia and saw the onyx missile it gave following specifications

"Engine Ramjet
4 tons of thrust
Wingspan 1.7 m (5.6 ft)
Propellant kerosene liquid fuel
Operational
range

600 km (370 mi; 320 nmi) (Oniks version for Russia)
120 to 300 km (75 to 186 mi; 65 to 162 nmi) depending on altitude (Yakhont export version)
Flight ceiling 14,000 m
Flight altitude 10 meters or higher
Speed Mach 2.5
Guidance
system

midcourse inertial guidance, active radar homing-passive radar seeker head
Launch
platform

coastal installations, naval ship, Fixed-wing aircraft"

then I saw the Brahmos and found the following

"Engine First stage: solid propellant booster
Second stage: liquid-fueled ramjet
Operational
range

290–300 km (180–190 mi; 160–160 nmi)[2][4]

To be upgraded to 600 km (370 mi; 320 nmi)[5]
Flight ceiling 14 km (46,000 ft)[3]
Flight altitude Sea skimming, as low as 3–4 meters[3][6]
Speed Mach 2.8–Mach 3 (3,400–3,700 km/h; 2,100–2,300 mph; 0.95–1.0 km/s)[1][7]
Guidance
system

Mid-course guidance by INS
Terminal guidance by Active radar homing
GPS/GLONASS/Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System/GAGAN satellite guidance using G3OM[8][9][10]
Accuracy 1 m[11]
Launch
platform

Ship, submarine, aircraft (under testing) and land-based mobile launchers."

so I was shocked at what is the truth

Was Brahmos a merely derivative of Onyx missile and we hog the credit....

I am confused....
Brahmos missile development costed $ 300 millions...

If we were to develop this missile this would be still in development phase... Don't take me wrong.... As of today this is one most deadly missile and no target is going to escape from Brahmos...

This missile is a True Brahmastra in the naval warfare...

Barak 8 is assumed to destroy Brahmos, but will it take care of a salvo of Brahmos, I don't think so....

This one missile is the nightmare for our enemies....

We are able to produce these missile in India thanks to JV...

When coming to tech....

I remember reading that Onyx missile had its own issues i.e, with Its motor, S manover and guidence was not jam resistant...

Onyx was there in 1990's too, but definitely not as good as Brahmos...

Russia invested that money to improve Onyx and no doubt that we had very little share in development of Brahmos.

This kind of JVs have their own disadvantages

We can't sell this missile at will..

Though we manufacture these missiles in house, they are going to be costly

We don't hold entire IP rights...

At the end of the day, we have a deadly missile... Though it is costly we can manufacture these missiles at will...

If we tried to buy Brahmos on direct sale, I doubt they would have sold these many(missiles manufactured till date) missiles.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Guys officially they said that only software updates were needed for this ER variant. dies thus mean no real modifications were needed? If so, increase in range would would need increase in fuel and increased fuel will make missile heavier .doesn't it affect the performance of missile? Or any modification of engine was done or even the payload weight should be reduced.
Or the recent block missile was build with 300miles config instead of 300 kms ;P

Sent from my irisX8 using Tapatalk
This was just a formal announcement that we have increased the range so relax.

Tiger.Hind

Will it kill Nirbhay or will it come back as 1500km subsonic + supersonic terminal range?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
whenever we talk about brahmos foreign component ratio, we end only talking about the missile. what about other components TEL, FCS and radars etc.. how much of rest of the components are indian?

rishivashista13

Country flag
Damn that low flight mode was fast, I only felt that the yield of the blast was less. In contrast, if you would see some bunker busters AGM's they have yield in blown out proportions. Was the detonation charge kept less due to test reasons?
It seems like the missile was not armed with real warhead , as they were testing it's flight and accuracy not it's destruction power .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
whenever we talk about brahmos foreign component ratio, we end only talking about the missile. what about other components TEL, FCS and radars etc.. how much of rest of the components are indian?
Minus engine all Indian......

Btw, Akash missile use same tech in solid fuel. So we too have master engine tech.

captscooby81

Country flag
Ya looks like we need all them in 1000s with the way the PLAN increasing its fleet .. Hope you following raj47 latest satellite images of the brisk phase the Chinese are churning out the ships and the submarines ..

Nirbhay is cheap alternative, we require those in thousand.
We have LRCM which will start as nirbhay and in terminal stage it will be like brahmos.
Plus we will have brahmos and Brahmos ER.

All are needed.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Never-Before-Seen Footage Solves BrahMos ‘Island Test’ Mystery
@SurgicalStrike here is a little video proof for you

In April 2015, the Indian Army mysteriously withdrew a press statement made just hours before announcing that it had successfully conducted an island launch of the BrahMos Block III supersonic cruise missile from India’s island territories, the Andaman & Nicobar. Neither the Army nor BrahMos Corp. offered an explanation for why the detailed statement, accompanied by photographs of the April launch, was withdrawn. Was the test a failure? The mystery quietly dissipated, but not stands solved. First, take a look at the video above. The April 2015 test did in fact take place, and was precisely how the Army announced it. In fact, the Army conducted two more identical tests a month later in May 2015. Livefist chanced upon never-before-seen footage of these two latter tests in BrahMos Corp’s 2017 official film. Our map of the launch depicts precisely how the launch played out.

Top sources confirm that while the series of tests was fully successful, the reason the statement was withdrawn was that the tests weren’t meant to be announced publicly — certainly not as ‘extended range’ tests (BrahMos Corp recently conducted the first extended range test following India becoming signatory to the MTCR). The distance between Car Nicobar and Trak Island is well within the BrahMos Block III’s 290-km range, so the test actually wasn’t at any ‘extended range’. The other reason why the Army changed its mind about the test was environmental sensitivities that have prevailed over the use of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands for weapons tests. The use of the uninhabited Trak Island (really an atoll) for the test wouldn’t have gone down well with environmentalists (and perhaps departments within the government itself), even though a designated group of islands in the chain have been approved for such target tests.

The tests proved wholly successful though. And the footage you see here on Livefist for the first time confirms that the island strike tests went through without a hitch.
This is the verification of land attack capability skeptics have been waiting for. The prior videos with radar reflected targets was propoganda.

Immanuel

Country flag
The skeptics need to shove it, there is no need of such videos to be released though we get exited about them.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Nirbhay is cheap alternative, we require those in thousand.
We have LRCM which will start as nirbhay and in terminal stage it will be like brahmos.
Plus we will have brahmos and Brahmos ER.

All are needed.
What is probability of making a 3,000-4,000 kms strategic cruise missile (may be air launched)?
Soviets and Chinese, both had those.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
What is probability of making a 3,000-4,000 kms strategic cruise missile (may be air launched)?
All cruise missile will be three services users in mind. Once we get heavy weight brahmos in MKI, its matter of time, that others cruise missile will joind air launch version.

Tarun Kumar

I think we need to give up development of Nirbhay and go for quasi ballistic missile like Pralay asap. QBMs are only ballistic in boost phase after which they strike long range with tremendous power.

sthf

Country flag
Can't afford 3000-4000 missiles of ~$3 million each. Precisely why Nirbhay was initiated. At $0.5 million each (according to Saurav Jha) you can fill up the inventory as much you like.

Also keep in mind that LACMs need a ton of support vehicles and associated manpower.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I think we need to give up development of Nirbhay
And who will play those roles?
Can't afford 3000-4000 missiles of ~$3 million each. Precisely why Nirbhay was initiated. At $0.5 million each (according to Saurav Jha) you can fill up the inventory as much you like.

Also keep in mind that LACMs need a ton of support vehicles and associated manpower.
I'm talking about 3,000-4,000 kms range LACM, not numbers.

sthf

Country flag
And who will play those roles?

I'm talking about 3,000-4,000 kms range LACM, not numbers.
My bad, read that in a hurry. Very long range cruise missiles are not particularly useful from Indian perspective. None of our enemies live an ocean away and expecting a cruise missile to fly 3000 km into Chinese airspace and not being shot down is wishful thinking at best.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles