BrahMos Cruise Missile

Tarun Kumar

Lol in Hi-Hi mode even if the missile is visible, Pakis have nothing to stop brahmos . The fool is saying that they will use machine guns. I am now more convinced that Pakis are nothing more than brainless bufoons , the real danger is those Chinese.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
As far as @safriz is concern he has no idea about Indian missile and tech issues. He keep on posting videos Info on Indian missiles without understand tech issues and thus making a fool of himself in the eyes of all.

IndianHawk

Country flag
As far as @safriz is concern he has no idea about Indian missile and tech issues. He keep on posting videos Info on Indian missiles without understand tech issues and thus making a fool of himself in the eyes of all.
He is not trolling I think. Maybe that is how Pakistan study technology and that is why they have lagged so far behind.:biggrin2:

Anyway this self-delusional grandeur will result in another surrender like 71.

Then too Pakistani believed whatever they had was 1000 times better than indians.

Let him be:dude:

Scrutator

Does anyone know if Brahmos-A will also get the range extension (to 550+ kms)? Just curious if Su-30MKI frame strengthening (to carry the 2.5 tonne Brahmos-A) was done to accommodate the future increase in fuel load (within the missile) also.
Any idea what the new weight of the missile would be? I am guessing that it would definitely be more than 3 tonnes!

Chinmoy

Country flag
Does anyone know if Brahmos-A will also get the range extension (to 550+ kms)? Just curious if Su-30MKI frame strengthening (to carry the 2.5 tonne Brahmos-A) was done to accommodate the future increase in fuel load (within the missile) also.
Any idea what the new weight of the missile would be? I am guessing that it would definitely be more than 3 tonnes!
Brahmos-A is simply the light weight air launched version of current configuration. It has been designed to bring down the weight to 2.5 ton. As far as increasing the range of Brahmos is concerned, it would be done for mainly the surface and ship launched variant. For air force variant, it is an stand off weapon and hence no immediate need is there to increase its current range.
Second, simply by increasing the fuel amount the range increment could not be achieved. It would mean a complete new engine with current fuel, or a new fuel with current engine. There would be some design changes for the extended range Brahmos. So how much it would weight in extended range is yet to be seen.

Scrutator

For air force variant, it is an stand off weapon and hence no immediate need is there to increase its current range.
Well, why not? When one can have a stand off weapon for 290 km, why not for 550 km?? Technically the aircraft acts as a range extender - it essentially becomes a very long range cruise missile!!!

Second, simply by increasing the fuel amount the range increment could not be achieved. It would mean a complete new engine with current fuel, or a new fuel with current engine. There would be some design changes for the extended range Brahmos. So how much it would weight in extended range is yet to be seen.
I have to go ahead and disagree with you. Brahmos was always designed as a 600 km cruise missile (essentially the Oniks). Just to comply with MTCR, Russia just half-filled the fuel (at least officially that's the statement, they might have filled it up completely and the missile might always have always been secretly a 550 km range one!). There is essentially very little difference between the Brahmos and Onik (or for that matter the Bastions, Yakhonts etc.) when it comes to the overall design/dimensions, engine, fuel, fins etc. The seekers may have been slightly tweaked for each application/country! Net-net, the official project right now is to 'top off' the fuel tank (if it wasn't already topped off secretly initially itself); there are rumors that the newer missiles' fuel tank might have been topped off couple of years before the MTCR membership itself!

Anyways, coming back to my original question: Wish that Brahmos-A could also be range-extended; I think it's physically doable (fill up the fuel tank) but the question remains if Su-30MKI would be capable of carrying the increased weight. One would think that this opportunity would have been foreseen early on.......

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Well, why not? When one can have a stand off weapon for 290 km, why not for 550 km?? Technically the aircraft acts as a range extender - it essentially becomes a very long range cruise missile!!!
Here you are forgetting the basic concept of Stand off weapon. Stand off weapon means any weapon which could be fired from a safe distance out of the range of enemy air defence. So even with its current range of 300 km, the launching platform (Su30) would be effectively out of range of any current SAM except 40N6 of S400. So whether you want to extend its range as an standoff weapon or not, depends on how you want to use it. For this very reason I was saying that India should go for some heavy dedicated bomber instead of modified fighters for CM. But lets not discuss it now.

I have to go ahead and disagree with you. Brahmos was always designed as a 600 km cruise missile (essentially the Oniks). Just to comply with MTCR, Russia just half-filled the fuel (at least officially that's the statement, they might have filled it up completely and the missile might always have always been secretly a 550 km range one!). There is essentially very little difference between the Brahmos and Onik (or for that matter the Bastions, Yakhonts etc.) when it comes to the overall design/dimensions, engine, fuel, fins etc. The seekers may have been slightly tweaked for each application/country! Net-net, the official project right now is to 'top off' the fuel tank (if it wasn't already topped off secretly initially itself); there are rumors that the newer missiles' fuel tank might have been topped off couple of years before the MTCR membership itself!

Anyways, coming back to my original question: Wish that Brahmos-A could also be range-extended; I think it's physically doable but the question remains if Su-30MKI would be capable of carrying the increased weight. One would think that this opportunity would have been foreseen early on.......
Now this half filled tanks and all are just plain bullshit. If someone has really written something like that, its nothing more then some ignorant writing. Look at how things work. Engines in a missile or rockets are used to provide thrust or force to the body. Now if we look at the relation of Force, Mass and Distance then a simple layman equation comes up as,
F=MxD.
Or lets say for sake of simplicity, if you have to apply a force of 1N on a mass of 1Kg it moves by 1M (just for example). Now in case of Brahmos, if Brahmos weighs at 1Kg, to move it by 1Km the engine apply a force of 1N. Now if the fuel tank is fully filled its mass would be doubled. Then how come 1N of thrust would make it move by 1Km? You have to rework on the engine.
With increase in mass the velocity and range of the missile would be highly decreased if engines are not reworked.

Scrutator

Here you are forgetting the basic concept of Stand off weapon. Stand off weapon means any weapon which could be fired from a safe distance out of the range of enemy air defence. So even with its current range of 300 km, the launching platform (Su30) would be effectively out of range of any current SAM except 40N6 of S400. So whether you want to extend its range as an standoff weapon or not, depends on how you want to use it. For this very reason I was saying that India should go for some heavy dedicated bomber instead of modified fighters for CM. But lets not discuss it now.
You're being very simplistic and incorrect in your view of the battlefield. Just because the aircraft is out of range of the SAM, it does not mean your missile will hit any arbitrary target with whatever piddly range the stand off weapon has! Imagine S400s deployed as a fence and your target is 300 kms behind the air defence, then your stand off weapon needs to traverse 600 kms. Extended range is always useful (especially if it comes for almost free). Kapsich?

Now this half filled tanks and all are just plain bullshit. If someone has really written something like that, its nothing more then some ignorant writing. Look at how things work. Engines in a missile or rockets are used to provide thrust or force to the body. Now if we look at the relation of Force, Mass and Distance then a simple layman equation comes up as,
F=MxD.
Or lets say for sake of simplicity, if you have to apply a force of 1N on a mass of 1Kg it moves by 1M (just for example). Now in case of Brahmos, if Brahmos weighs at 1Kg, to move it by 1Km the engine apply a force of 1N. Now if the fuel tank is fully filled its mass would be doubled. Then how come 1N of thrust would make it move by 1Km? You have to rework on the engine.
With increase in mass the velocity and range of the missile would be highly decreased if engines are not reworked.
Dude!! Maybe we should talk after you graduate from high school?? In your view of the world, the weight of the missile is constant throughout its flight! Where in fact. the weight of the missile changes constantly during the flight ( I am hoping that the light bulb went off in your head - that's right, the fuel quantity is decreasing). Despite this change the cruise missiles can maintain steady speed. How do they do that? You're right again - the engine can control thrust! Another thought exercise: Tomahawk cruise missile flies at subsonic speed for nearly 2,500 kms, now by your logic, during the last 100 kms of the journey the missile should attain hypersonic speed because the engine thrust remains the same but the weight has reduced drastically. You see what's wrong with that picture???
As I said before most of the supersonic cruise missiles developed by Russia have around 600 kms range; and all their non-MTCR export versions have a truncated speed of 290 kms (be it with India or Indonesia!!).

Of course, you don't have to believe any of the above. I hope you atleast know how long it takes to design a new engine and a cruise missile (min of 5-6 years; on an average around 10-15 yrs). Just wait and watch how soon India is going to declare the extended ranged Brahmos as being operational!

Also, I didn't want to mention that earlier but F=ma; md is not a physical attribute at all . Your confusions maybe caused because you may still be in elementary school, where Physics hasn't been taught as a subject by itself; you're probably learning stuff as 'science'!!

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
You're being very simplistic and incorrect in your view of the battlefield. Just because the aircraft is out of range of the SAM, it does not mean your missile will hit any arbitrary target with whatever piddly range the stand off weapon has! Imagine S400s deployed as a fence and your target is 300 kms behind the air defence, then your stand off weapon needs to traverse 600 kms. Extended range is always useful (especially if it comes for almost free). Kapsich?
So you mean that you want Brahmos to take out a perimeter fence of S-400? When you talk about war, then the very first thing you want to do first is break down the defence. Using air borne system to take out any advance SAM site is the last thing you want to do unless and untill you are using stealth weapon. So talking about any strategic weapon like Brahmos in this situation is completely rubbish. It all depends on strategy buildup.

Dude!! Maybe we should talk after you graduate from high school?? In your view of the world, the weight of the missile is constant throughout its flight! Where in fact. the weight of the missile changes constantly during the flight ( I am hoping that the light bulb went off in your head - that's right, the fuel quantity is decreasing). Despite this change the cruise missiles can maintain steady speed. How do they do that? You're right again - the engine can control thrust! Another thought exercise: Tomahawk cruise missile flies at subsonic speed for nearly 2,500 kms, now by your logic, during the last 100 kms of the journey the missile should attain hypersonic speed because the engine thrust remains the same but the weight has reduced drastically. You see what's wrong with that picture???
As I said before most of the supersonic cruise missile developed by Russia have around 600 kms; and all their non-MTCR export versions have a truncated speed of 290 kms (be it with India or Indonesia!!).

Of course, you don't have to believe any of the above. I hope you atleast know how long it takes to design a new engine and a cruise missile (min of 5-6 years; on an average around 10 yrs). Just wait and watch how soon India is going to declare the extended ranged Brahmos as being operational!
Now this shows that you circuit is completely fried up.

Missiles and rockets or any other engine are designed to operate in a particular environmental condition with a particular mass in mind. Have you seen aircraft taking into account the total weight it is carrying before flight. Why it does so? Because for any engine to work in a optimal way it would have to work within the threshold of the mass it could support. During take off they do need to know the weight they are carrying for the engine to provide enough thrust to lift the plane. Their have been instances when wrong input had resulted in aborted takeoff and crash during take off.

The onus of Brahmos lies in its supersonic speed which it maintains for the whole flight duration. With the same engine but increased mass how could you expect it to keep the same performance in speed? By simply adding more fuel, you cant expect a longer range without a degrade in other performance level.

BTW, look at this news and the timeline it has said.

BrahMos Cruise Missile

Scrutator

So you mean that you want Brahmos to take out a perimeter fence of S-400? When you talk about war, then the very first thing you want to do first is break down the defence. Using air borne system to take out any advance SAM site is the last thing you want to do unless and untill you are using stealth weapon. So talking about any strategic weapon like Brahmos in this situation is completely rubbish. It all depends on strategy buildup.
You don't necessarily need to take down the entire air defence system before you launch missile/aircraft to the other side of the defence perimeter!! That is the essence of a missile - all the more so for a supersonic cruise missile (which is hard to detect and chase). Brahmos is not for taking down air defence systems (don't know why you think that I think otherwise) but other strategic targets that could lie BEYOND the air defence 'fences'. I am trying not to use real target city names (as that would be inflammatory). Anyways, if you don't understand the utility of a longer range missile, then I am not going to try anymore to help you understand.

Missiles and rockets or any other engine are designed to operate in a particular environmental condition with a particular mass in mind. Have you seen aircraft taking into account the total weight it is carrying before flight. Why it does so? Because for any engine to work in a optimal way it would have to work within the threshold of the mass it could support. During take off they do need to know the weight they are carrying for the engine to provide enough thrust to lift the plane. Their have been instances when wrong input had resulted in aborted takeoff and crash during take off.

The onus of Brahmos lies in its supersonic speed which it maintains for the whole flight duration. With the same engine but increased mass how could you expect it to keep the same performance in speed? By simply adding more fuel, you cant expect a longer range without a degrade in other performance level.

BTW, look at this news and the timeline it has said.

BrahMos Cruise Missile
Just as the pilot of a commercial plane does not mount a new engine based on the number of passengers the plane is carrying, a cruise missile doesn't need a new engine for weights varying (within its design parameters). The new initial weight (with increased fuel load) is just a software configuration parameter that will get updated for all the up-ranged missiles. As I said before, this exercise was already done to flight control software to down range the missiles - they just need to reverse it now!
You look like someone arguing that the sun won't rise tomorrow! You're arguing about things that you're completely oblivious of. I've done my best to explain. And you're welcome!

Chinmoy

Country flag
You don't necessarily need to take down the entire air defence system before you launch missile/aircraft to the other side of the defence perimeter!! That is the essence of a missile - all the more so for a supersonic cruise missile (which is hard to detect and chase). Brahmos is not for taking down air defence systems (don't know why you think that I think otherwise) but other strategic targets that could lie BEYOND the air defence 'fences'. I am trying not to use real target city names (as that would be inflammatory). Anyways, if you don't understand the utility of a longer range missile, then I am not going to try anymore to help you understand.
First of all, in the previous post itself you have shown your ignorance in matter of warfare technique by simply quoting a scenario where you are putting something like S-400 at perimeter. So I too believe that discussing on something like general warfare with you would simply mean waste of time. So lets leave this. Whether IAF wants an extended range Brahmos or not, it depends on them and their thinking. No point in discussing it.

Just as the pilot of a commercial plane does not mount a new engine based on the number of passengers the plane is carrying, a cruise missile doesn't need a new engine for weights varying (within its design parameters). The new initial weight (with increased fuel load) is just a software configuration parameter that will get updated for all the up-ranged missiles. As I said before, this exercise was already done to flight control software to down range the missiles - they just need to reverse it now!
You look like someone arguing that the sun won't rise tomorrow! You're arguing about things that you're completely oblivious of. I've done my best to explain. And you're welcome!
Don't even compare Brahmos with any other cruise missile. Conventional Cruise Missiles like Tomahawk or our own Indian Nirbhay uses Turbofan engine, which is essentially an aircraft engine and simple software tweek could only vary its mass lifting capability within its performance threshold. But Brahmos make use of a RAMJET engine, which is a Rocket engine. Software tweeking of rocket engine doesn't change its performance criteria like that of Aircraft engine.

Moreover I am not even taking into account the further strengthening of the whole structure to support a sustain flight time at supersonic speed for double the time. It would mean increase in weight even more. And you might know that the structural frame of Brahmos is done by India, which means the fuel tank is also designed by India. So do you think we would not have done the required change in fuel tank to accommodate double the quantity of fuel? Why to wait for three years for such a simple thing?

Scrutator

Moreover I am not even taking into account the further strengthening of the whole structure to support a sustain flight time at supersonic speed for double the time. It would mean increase in weight even more. And you might know that the structural frame of Brahmos is done by India, which means the fuel tank is also designed by India. So do you think we would not have done the required change in fuel tank to accommodate double the quantity of fuel? Why to wait for three years for such a simple thing?
You don't seem to seem to get the fundamental point that Brahmos (from Oniks) was always designed and already built as a 600 km range missile. It was configured to fly only half that distance (at least official statement is thus - it may have been fully capable of full range all along too, but we never know). Now they'll be lifting those configuration restrictions - that's all!!! Think of the current Brahmos (at it's launch time) being in the fuel level state as it would have been at mid-point in its 600 km range flight. Can't a missile that has completed half it's 600 km flight and exhausted nearly half the fuel complete the remaining half of its flight or does it fall prey to some quackery of f=md???

woaa

A slightly lower altitude is possible but not significantly lower like from 30 km to sea level , the atmospheric condition different is too big.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Brahmos is 300 kms missile with 600 kms range. But we dont use it, unless war happens. So no need to worry. BTW we have same tech at work in Akash missile. New missile coming soon. Wait and watch.
Instead of Akash, why don't we modify barak-8 and increase its range?

Scrutator

Instead of Akash, why don't we modify barak-8 and increase its range?
Not sure what the connection with Brahmos missile is. But then Barak-8 is a damn good missile whose range has already been extended. One area where Akash kicks Barak-8's butt is the price!!! Then again Barak-8 is designed as a 'point defence' weapon as such it's own speed and altitude ceiling is not that consequential - it's top speed and altitude ceiling are slightly less than that of Akash's. Akash as such has a 'slight' advantage in the chase mode (with higher speed and higher altitude ceiling). A low priced, extended range Akash with an on-board seeker will probably still be a good option to continue pursuing

Last edited:

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Not sure what the connection with Brahmos missile is. But then Barak-8 is a damn good missile whose range has already been extended. One area where Akash kicks Barak-8's butt is the price!!! Then again Barak-8 is designed as a 'point defence' weapon as such it's own speed and altitude ceiling is not that consequential - it's top speed and altitude ceiling are slightly less than that of Akash's. Akash as such has a 'slight' advantage in the chase mode (with higher speed and higher altitude ceiling). A low priced, extended range Akash with an on-board seeker will probably still be a good option to continue pursuing
We need a layered defense anyways. Short range missiles are just as important. Range of akash and baraks should be increased but the short range versions shall also be kept deployed.

Scrutator

We need a layered defense anyways. Short range missiles are just as important. Range of akash and baraks should be increased but the short range versions shall also be kept deployed.
There was talk about deploying Ashwin as a long range SAM; I think with it's 200 km range and 4.5 mach speed it would be an exceptionally good long range SAM - it beats the crap out of Barak-8 (even with all its extensions)!! Also, being completely indigenous it might cost much less too. Barak-8 is way too expensive!! Israelis make a killing from this stuff (nothing against it in principle though)!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles