BrahMos Cruise Missile

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
How will GPS help in hitting a moving target? Say, Brahmos flies for 300sec and for first 200sec is using GPS. The ship is moving at 50kmph and in 200sec will move 3km. So, by the time seeker/radar swicthes on, the ship would already be 3 km away from its original location and hence the Brahmos may end up missing target
That's why it has INS for course correction.

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
That's why it has INS for course correction.

INS is inertial navigation system. It just calculates the amount of distance flown in various directions in the plane of east-west-north-south and in altitude. It can't detect the movement of target and hence direct the missile for the deviation

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
I have never read or heard that the missile test was undertaken in actual battle circumstances. That means, a missile beating and avoiding the deployed countermeasures and then hitting the target. Then we call it hundred percent successful.
Just hitting a junk ship floating in the sea or hitting a targeted drone isn't a true success. Wish to see a missile test penetrating air-defense's, jammers, and countermeasures and then hitting the target.
I agree with your point and I am sure such drills are done.

Having said that, War means open aggression, you would still fire missiles at adversary even if they have their space and assets Iron Curtained.

Brahmo's USP is not maneuvering like subsonic missiles but hit hard, hit fast or probably being mounted on Su-30MKI hit first and hit deep.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
INS is inertial navigation system. It just calculates the amount of distance flown in various directions in the plane of east-west-north-south and in altitude. It can't detect the movement of target and hence direct the missile for the deviation
The GPS continuously tracks the target or I say it updates the missile for the target's location, and if the target maneuvers the flight course is corrected by INS, when the target gets under the scan of head Seeker, GPS is not required then.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
The GPS continuously tracks the target or I say it updates the missile for the target's location, and if the target maneuvers the flight course is corrected by INS, when the target gets under the scan of head Seeker, GPS is not required then.

GPS does not track anything. It is not a radar. GPS just sends signal beams and the way the beams reach the receiver, the receiver calculates the coordinates and elevation.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
GPS does not track anything. It is not a radar. GPS just sends signal beams and the way the beams reach the receiver, the receiver calculates the coordinates and elevation.
That's what I said, GPS keeps on updating about the target, and INS corrects the flight path, terminal seeker then engages, and when you have a terminal seeker with range greater than 20km, the correction error negated with actual ISAR map.

Enquirer

That's what I said, GPS keeps on updating about the target, and INS corrects the flight path, terminal seeker then engages, and when you have a terminal seeker with range greater than 20km, the correction error negated with actual ISAR map.

GPS & INS essentially give the same information - it's current position & velocity. One via the use of satellite signals & the other by measuring accelerations in all axes.

(GPS does not keep updating about the TARGET - it has no idea about it. System will have target coordinates, but the only information it gets is about itsefl)

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
GPS & INS essentially give the same information - it's current position & velocity. One via the use of satellite signals & the other by measuring accelerations in all axes.

(GPS does not keep updating about the TARGET - it has no idea about it. System will have target coordinates, but the only information it gets is about itsefl)
System receives the data signal from GPS right.

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
We are soon going to have our space navigation system ,IRNSS or Navic ,it will surely substitute GPS and GLONASS when really used in battlefield.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Brahmos is not a surveillance drone. it is radar guided for most of the path and uses seeker in the terminal phase only
Correct.
Just to add that seeker alone is the only onboard system which utilizes almost all of the power of it's battery so it's only activated in the terminal phase for optimization of all the analogue data and identify the target for pin point accuracy. So its active for not more than 10-15 seconds ( estimated value could be less or higher)

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
GPS gets information about it's own location. There's no updates about the target as you mentioned.
Then who will guide BrahMos 600km, and 800km range missiles.

Enquirer

I don't follow your question!

GPS continuously gets missile position. Target coordinates are fed to the missile at launch time.
The onboard system computes the distance remaining and charts the remaining trajectory.
INS also gives similar info on the current location (in a redundant fashion)

Tanmay

Country flag
I don't follow your question!

GPS continuously gets missile position. Target coordinates are fed to the missile at launch time.
The onboard system computes the distance remaining and charts the remaining trajectory.
INS also gives similar info on the current location (in a redundant fashion)
In laymans terms "GPS and INS" provide the missile an approx position to reach (like giving a courier boy a landmark to reach). A seeker then searches for the moving/stationary target/targets(Multiple target feeding ability abd choosing the best possible one) and guides the missile to final precise location. (Ships are a relatively slow moving target, plus easier to guess the final position before impact)

Enquirer

In laymans terms "GPS and INS" provide the missile an approx position to reach (like giving a courier boy a landmark to reach). A seeker then searches for the moving/stationary target/targets(Multiple target feeding ability abd choosing the best possible one) and guides the missile to final precise location. (Ships are a relatively slow moving target, plus easier to guess the final position before impact)
You guys are using words quite loosely.

GPS & INS DOES NOT "provide the missile an approx position to reach". These will only provide the current position of the missile.
Position the missile needs to reach is already fed in at the time of launch.
The trajectory in computed by the onboard computer using as inputs
-the target-coordinates and
-the outputs from GPS/INS.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag

1.The path is already programmed on the onboard systems before launch.
2.The onboard computers then compute and compare the INS data + GPS input for the current location with the path already fed.
3.The errors are systemically rectified.
4. when the missile is near the target the Homing radar (seeker) is turned on.

In case of change in path the onboard receiver which may be in Simplex mode ( one way data link) receives the new command from the launch site.

no smoking

Country flag

Satellites and drones.
Before anti-ship missile reach the seeker's range, it relies on the drone to track the enemy. At the meantime, the missile computer will keep re-calculating the position of missile itself by receiving GPS signal. By comparing its own position to target's latest position, the computer will re-design the flying route.
Since the missile is expanding its range, today, the drone need satellite to pass on the target information to the missile.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles