Born in the USA? The Problem of Two Citizenships

Discussion in 'Foreign Relations' started by Ray, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Quite a conundrum.

What are the comments/take of Indians who have gone abroad or have foreign citizenship on this issue?

We would be interested to know.

Kshatriya87 likes this.
  3. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

Good read. I am going through this dilemma currently. My nephew in USA is now 6 months old. Born there. Don't know what path to choose for him.

4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

If the parents are Indian citizens, the child should be an Indian citizen at birth.

If the parents become US citizens before the child is born, then the child can be a US citizen. Otherwise, it is a dangerous gamble that could lead to a family being torn apart due to split citizenship.

I would request our resident law expert @sayareakd Sir, to advise this thread on how Indians living in a foreign country can have their children born abroad registered as Indian citizens.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  5. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

No conundrum. American citizenship.

6. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

If the parents do not intend to live in the United States it is pointless for the child to have a US citizenship. They should either have the child in India or file for an Indian citizenship at the nearest Indian consulate if they decide to have the child in the US.

This problem highlights yet again why the US immigration policies are in need of serious reform. It only makes sense to bestow American citizenship to children born on US soil if at least one of the parents happens to be a US citizen or a permanent resident. Children born to parents who do not fall into either one of these categories must obtain citizenship from the home country of the parents.

thakur_ritesh, TrueSpirit1 and sgarg like this.
  7. Syd

Syd Regular Member

When I was a schoolboy in Kenya, one of my classmates in boarding school was in a similar position. His parents, resident in neighbouring Uganda had been sent to the US for his father to do a PhD in Chemistry. He was sent by his employer Mahadvani Ltd. which was the largest private employer in Udanda. His parents were Indian citizens. He was born in the US about six months into his parents' stay there after which they returned to Uganda. The time was circa 1949 or 1950 well before Uganda or Kenya even dreamed of independence.

Later when we were at boarding school in the mid 1960s both countries had been independent for a few years, and were squeezing out Asians and Europeans by making it difficult for Asian and European school leavers to go to University or work. We both left Africa, me for the UK and my friend for the US. I am still in touch with him; he now lives in LA.

8. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

The parents should get Indian passport for the new born by applying it here. IMO.

BLS Inernational Services Ltd->

If they like the baby can get US citizenship or else they are free to get Indian passport.

9. Zebra

How Does One Become a US Citizen

10. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

In all likelihood BLS International will succeed in convincing the parents that the best thing they can do for their child is to get him/her an American citizenship. BLS is the embodiment of everything that's wrong with the Indian establishment... ineptitude, rudeness, idiocy, pathetic service, homicide inducing bureaucratic backlog, shabby ambient conditions, more ineptitude etc.

The only thing that deters me from visiting India more frequently is the obligatory visa application through an organization like BLS. Last year as I waited outside their office in a mid winter snow storm I saw a cohort of 18 people get on their cellphone and cancel their tour package to India. It was rather embarrassing to see people willing to forfeit hundreds of dollars in non refundable ticket fees rather than risking further dealings with any other Indian governmental authority ever again.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    thakur_ritesh and TrueSpirit1 like this.
  11. Zebra

Visit Incredible India.

If you are not happy with BLS International then try this........https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/.

This might help.......India Visa on Arrival and ETA: What You Should Know

12. sgarg

sgarg Senior Member Senior Member

I think the naturalization policy of USA is flawed. I agree that citizenship of child should be decided by citizenship of parents.

There are large number of children now who are born in USA but the parents have moved back to India.

TrueSpirit1 and pmaitra like this.
  13. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Devyani Khobargade is one example.

But she is a sharp cookie and a great manipulator.

Always wanting to milk the system all the way.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  14. RAM

RAM The southern Man Senior Member

Well..if not a conundrum…whats it then.?

For instance..Me and my spouse decided to return to India renouncing British residentship after living there for a decade for our kid’s future.

If YOU ARE IN UK

Pros-
    Being in European union u can avail free education to children till 10th grade.
    Structured and tailor made educational programs’ for kids
    Accessory health and welfare benefits
    Visa free travel to EU and other select countries on British passport

Cones

Cultural deviations in par with Indian traditions n long term
    Immigration and bureaucratic issues
    Legal rights to inherited properties curtailed..

And so on…

Double citizenship is a mirage and watered down policy by the government. Legal riddles followOnce u land in India on a foreign passport with limited rights.

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  15. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

Still not clear what should I do with my nephew. Also, can someone clearly list out the problems faced if the parents are Indians and child is American?