Bombay HC allows Bidhan Barua to change his sex

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by The Messiah, May 8, 2012.

1. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Bombay HC allows Bidhan Barua to change his sex

[​IMG]

Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday cleared the path for 21-year-old Bidhan Barua from Assam to undergo a sex reassignment surgery. Barua, who hails from Guwahati, had approached the Bombay high court after his family threatened him when he was in Mumbai for his operation.

This comes just days after the Bombay High Court on last Thursday warned the youth against using pressure tactics and threatening to commit suicide unless his petition was heard and orders passed immediately.

The court had summoned Bhidan's lawyer Ejaz Naqvi after the student wrote a letter to the Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court and other authorities threatening to commit suicide if his petition was not heard immediately.

In the petition, Bhidan, who feels he is a woman trapped in a man's body, had urged the court to restrain his parents from prohibiting him to undergo sex change operation.

Bhidan, in his letter, also said that since his parents have blocked his bank accounts he does not have money for lawyer fees. On this, the judge said if needed the court would appoint an amicus curie (friend of the court) to assist him.

Bhidan had written letters to Chief Justice of India, Chief Justice of Bombay High Court and National Human Rights Commission urging them to intervene and grant him a favourable order so that he could undergo the sex change surgery or else he will commit suicide.

Bidhan, who likes to call himself Swati, alleged that his parents had thwarted the sex reassignment surgery which was to be performed at Saifee Hospital in Mumbai on April 17. He claimed his parents threatened doctors who had refused to perform the operation unless the High Court gives a go ahead.

Bhidan had contended in his application that he is a female trapped in a male body and wants to marry a flight lieutenant in the Indian Air Force.

In the letters to the Chief Justice of India and other authorities, Bhidan wrote, "I was due to undergo sex change surgery for which I left my job but my parents have blocked my bank account. I have no money to pay for the operation fees."

"For the last two weeks, I am running from door to door seeking injustice but the court does not have time to hear me. I do not have any money for my food, lodging. So I am finally requesting the court to pass an immediate order against my family or grant me an order for an authorised suicide," he wrote.

"I will kill myself if I do not get an order for my surgery by this evening. For my suicide, the Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court will be responsible", wrote Bhidan and signed it under his name.

Bhidan contended that he realised early in life that he was born in the wrong sex and preferred to dress like girls. This angered his parents who ill-treated him and beat him up, he alleged.

Bhidan said it was in Class VII that he learnt through the Internet that medical science could provide a remedy to his problem through a sex change procedure and he decided to go for it. He did odd jobs after school hours to earn money for the operation which would cost him anywhere between Rs 1.5 lakh to Rs 3 lakh.

On March 2, Bhidan underwent a psychiatric test in Guwahati to check whether he was fit enough to undergo such a procedure. As the result was positive, he ran away from home on March 31 and came to Mumbai where he stayed with a cousin.

Bombay HC allows Bidhan Barua to change his sex - India News - IBNLive

:pokerface:

3. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

With the skewed sex ratio that we have in a few years time this would be the only way some men are gonna find a wife.Or we could end up being a sausage fest. o_o.

Btw, I don't like the idea of HC being blackmailed by suicide threats.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

One has nothing against people changing sex or having sexual attraction to people of similar sex.

However, one finds these statements like "woman trapped in a man's body" a bit trite!

What humbug!

Who trapped the woman in his body?

Not his parents or society. It was God.

Go complain to God.

All the chap wants is become a girl and that is about all!

Go ahead and enjoy yourself!

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

Don't we already have Bobby Darling?

6. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Sir, it's psychological. Er, his issues, I mean. And in a free country, we choose what's good for us. I hope Barua does not regret this decision later in his life. He's just 21, and life is more than messages neurons carry from the brain to the heart and crotch.

All the best Bidhan.

7. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015