Boeing to offer Apache and Chinook to India

bhramos

Country flag
Boeing to offer Apahce and Chinook to India

U.S. aircraft manufacturer Boeing Co plans to bid for two defence projects in India worth $2 billion in the next few months, the company's country head said on Wednesday. Boeing is looking to supply India with 22 attack helicopters and at least a dozen heavy-lift choppers to replace its ageing Soviet-era fleet. "We are very keen to offer our Apache AH-64 helicopters to India and we have already responded to their request for information on our product," Vivek Lall, India country head of Boeing's Integrated Defense Systems (IDS).

India asked seven international companies last June to submit bids for supplying the attack helicopters, but the government cancelled the tender last month saying bidders did not meet its requirements and said a fresh tender would be issued soon. Senior defence officials said the new tender for the two deals was likely to come after the April/May general election. "We will be very happy to bid after scrutinising the details," Lall told Reuters in an interview on Wednesday.

Boeing also plans to bid for a separate $1 billion deal to supply at least a dozen heavy-lift helicopters to the Indian Air Force, with Lall saying the U.S. plane maker was interested in offering its Chinook CH-47. India is looking to spend more than $30 billion over the next five years to modernise its largely Soviet-era weapons systems and is also launching its first military spy satellite next year.

Boeing, which has already sealed a $2.1 billion deal to sell India 8 maritime patrol aircraft, is gearing up for trials to supply 126 fighter jets in one of the world's biggest arms deals, worth more than $10 billion. Two U.S. companies, Boeing and Lockheed Martin Corp, are vying with Russia's MiG-35, France's Dassault Rafale, Sweden's Saab KAS-39 Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon, a consortium of British, German, Italian and Spanish companies, for the fighter deal.

http://theasiandefence.blogspot.com/2009/04/boeing-to-offer-apahce-and-chinook-to.html

at this stage we dont appaches. as LCH are on the way.
and anyway we have some r the other Israeli help in it.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I say we grab the Apache.
LCH is still going to take some time to optimize itself.

The Apache is a killing machine. Just hope the US doesn't present it with strings attached.

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
Apache

Hi sohamsri
sohamsri
The Apache is a killing machine. Just hope the US doesn't present it with strings attached.
I hope not either it's so much more then just a tank killer just a little on the costly side.

I think the Chinook CH-47 might be the better of the deal they can't made enough of these heavy lifters, high demand. Good equipment.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
We don't need the Chinooks. We have hundreds of Mi-17s for that purpose.
The Apache however is a different issue.

rock45

Founding Member/ RIP our friend
I see your point India has tons of Hip-17s.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Grab both of them with both hands and feet.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
^^^
Lol ! What's the Chinook needed for ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Heavy lift. Never mind the 17s. they are getting old.

Flint

Great. Say goodbye to indigenous programs. The babus will never pass up some juicy kickbacks.

shiv

no sohamsri we do need them...you see the Mi-7s are medium lift copters.These chinhooks are heavy lift which can carry a payload of upwards of 20 tons.currently we use Mi-35s for that role but they are getting old.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Great. Say goodbye to indigenous programs. The babus will never pass up some juicy kickbacks.
We dont have a heavy lift helo program. The LCH is coming along and will be built in numbers if all goes well. This is and interim and the forces were looking for 22 attack helos anyways before the tender was cancelled. The tender was cancelled in incorporate the Apache and the Super Cobra which had not participated in the earlier tender.

bhramos

Country flag
no sohamsri we do need them...you see the Mi-7s are medium lift copters.These chinhooks are heavy lift which can carry a payload of upwards of 20 tons.currently we use Mi-35s for that role but they are getting old.
Mi-35 is Multirole-Attack-Gunship .

may be R u telling of Mi-26?
actually IAF is looking for Chinook for replacement of Mi-26 only.
there r only 6Mi-26 in IAF's Inventry.

shiv

hey my bad. i meant the mi-26 .thanks for correcting me

Shiny Capstar

Professional
Has this been approved by Congress? Also what kind of configuration is the Apache being offered in (avionics, what weapons it comes with etc)?

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
We can possibly get the LCH later, but grab the Apache... its a deadly machine... it can be used as a stopgap measure till we get those LCH...

Flint

We can possibly get the LCH later, but grab the Apache... its a deadly machine... it can be used as a stopgap measure till we get those LCH...
Is LCH a replacement for Apache? I don't think so.

Apache IMO does not fit anywhere with our current doctrine, if we end up buying these oversexed birds it'll be rather foolish.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Is LCH a replacement for Apache? I don't think so.

Apache IMO does not fit anywhere with our current doctrine, if we end up buying these oversexed birds it'll be rather foolish.
Sometimes, diplomacy is not bad ;-)

Western India has always been a "Tank Battleground" in the past wars. Why will the most combat tested gunship/attack helo not be a good thing?

LCH is not a reality yet. Until then, we need something really good. A little cozying up with USA wouldn't be bad IMO, as China is already actively stepping on Indian toes.

shiv

are we planning to use them on insurgents and terrorists or are they just gonna be used for anti armor?

Apaches Infrared cameras and silent operation can really help us fight the insurgents in the jungles

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles