Boeing ends contract with HAL over ‘poor quality’ of production

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Blackwater, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Boeing ends contract with HAL over ‘poor quality’ of production:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::bounce::bounce::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

US defence major Boeing has terminated a contract with state-run Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) for component supplies to the former’s war and commercial planes being inducted into the Indian Navy.
    Boeing’s decision came after repeated reminders to HAL about its “poor quality” of production, sources said, adding that the US company’s move underlined the need for better strategies by India’s policymakers in order to bolster the order books of defence PSUs.

Boeing has over the last few years shifted its component sourcing requirements in India to private companies — Tata Group, Dynamatic Technologies, Rossell Techsys and others.
    Under a $4.7-million contract signed with Boeing in 2010, HAL was to provide weapons bay doors for eight P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft that the former would supply to the Indian Navy.

The contract with HAL for equipment for the P8I, through its avionics division in Hyderabad, was the first P-8I offset package that Boeing had directly executed with India’s largest aerospace company. In addition to its work on the P-8I programme, HAL was to also supply Boeing with gun bay doors and wire harnesses for the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and uplock boxes for the 777 commercial airplane.
    Boeing refused to comment for this story, while senior HAL officials said although “there were problems” (with the Boeing contract), these would be resolved.

“Boeing is already working with multiple companies in India to fulfil its commitments. We are actively working global sourcing strategies that can help make Boeing more competitive around the world, in addition to building India’s aerospace capabilities and meeting our offset commitments,” Dennis Swanson, vice-president of Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) in India, had told FE in an interview earlier.

Industry sources have indicated that since 2014, Boeing has been expressing its dissatisfaction with HAL’s performance and has moved to other firms to meet its requirements. For instance, Dynamatic Technologies and Tata Advanced Materials (TAML) are delivering power and mission equipment cabinets for P-8I aircraft, and TAML is also on contract to provide P-8I auxiliary power unit door fairings. Dynamatic Technologies is on contract to manufacture the aft pylon and cargo ramp assemblies for Boeing’s CH-47F Chinook. Maini and TAL Manufacturing Solutions are on contract to provide C-17 ground support equipment to Boeing.

Boeing is interested in setting up a manufacturing base in India under the ‘Make in India’ programme. It has recently inked a framework agreement with Tata Advanced Systems to collaborate in aerospace and defence manufacturing and potential integrated systems development opportunities, including unmanned aerial vehicles.

http://www.financialexpress.com/article/economy/boeing-ends-contract-with-hal/110345/

LETHALFORCE likes this.
  3. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

So the defence industry is slowly moving away from the grips of public sector to private sector.

This is a good thing......

Indx TechStyle likes this.
  4. salute

salute Senior Member Senior Member

because now it must be convenient timing for them.

5. Senyor Sandeep

Senyor Sandeep Regular Member

The entire article sounds like a hit job against the public sector company. The whole article is an ad for Boeing's superiority and its upcoming base in India rather than telling where exactly the company found poor quality in HAL's production and what accident did they face due to this poor quality. Who are the industry sources that mentioned here? Anything that comes out of timesgroup and indianexpress is just an ad and propaganda and should never be taken seriously. Period.

6. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Perfaarmance Naarmal Senior Member

Way to go for private vendors.
    :peace:

7. raja696

raja696 Regular Member

Tatas are agresive and against HAL and DRDO monopoly. I wouldn't be surprised if tatas are involved in propaganda. But its imp to check reasons why tatas and hal dont go hand in hand.

8. Dash

Dash New Member

They were manufacturing gun bay doors. some issue might be there in quality of work. HAL is known for scredrivergiri, no surprises there.