Bodhidharma- an Indian who is Father of Chinese Shaolin Kung fu..

bhramos

Country flag

Bodhidharma was a Buddhist monk who lived during the 5th/6th century and is traditionally credited as the leading patriarch and transmitter of Zen (Chinese: Chán, Sanskrit: Dhyāna) to China. He was the third son of a Tamil king of the Pallava Dynasty.[1][2] According to Chinese legend, he also began the physical training of the Shaolin monks that led to the creation of Shaolinquan. However, martial arts historians have shown this legend stems from a 17th century qigong manual known as the Yijin Jing.
Little contemporary biographical information on Bodhidharma is extant, and subsequent accounts became layered with legend, but some accounts state that he was from a Brahmin family in southern India and possibly of royal lineage.[3].However Broughton (1999:2) notes that Bodhidharma's royal pedigree implies that he was of the Kshatriya warrior caste. Mahajan (1972:705–707) argued that the Pallava dynasty was a Tamilian dynasty and Zvelebil (1987) proposed that Bodhidharma was born a prince of the Pallava dynasty in their capital of Kanchipuram[4] Scholars have concluded his place of birth to be Kanchipuram in Tamil Nadu, India.[1][5][6][7][8][9][10][11]
After becoming a Buddhist monk, Bodhidharma traveled to China. The accounts differ on the date of his arrival, with one early account claiming that he arrived during the Liú Sòng Dynasty (420–479) and later accounts dating his arrival to the Liáng Dynasty (502–557). Bodhidharma was primarily active in the lands of the Northern Wèi Dynasty (386–534). Modern scholarship dates him to about the early 5th century.[12]
Throughout Buddhist art, Bodhidharma is depicted as a rather ill-tempered, profusely bearded and wide-eyed barbarian. He is described as "The Blue-Eyed Barbarian" in Chinese texts.[13]
The Anthology of the Patriarchal Hall (952) identifies Bodhidharma as the 28th Patriarch of Buddhism in an uninterrupted line that extends all the way back to the Buddha himself. D.T. Suzuki contends that Chán's growth in popularity during the 7th and 8th centuries attracted criticism that it had "no authorized records of its direct transmission from the founder of Buddhism" and that Chán historians made Bodhidharma the 28th patriarch of Buddhism in response to such attacks.[14]

Bodhidharma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bhramos

Country flag
What a stupid pontificating 'has been' tamil crap was nothing than movie! Idiotic. The usual We are tamil, we are awesome. Mallu response, who gives a shit.
only chinese should tell you the correct answer,
i'm not a tamilan,
but i'm a Indian and proud of my hindustani culture, weather Bengali, marathi, kashmiri or maratha,... and all Hindustani religions like Buddhism, Jainism, Shikh and Hinduism,..........

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Please desist from Personal Attacks.

It will invite Infractions

Adux

Country flag
Did anyone see that atrocious movie? Did you see the underlying Cultural superiority being promoted. I already had a fight with a 50 year old woman, who works for the Central Excise no less, when she said Malayalee's need to submit to the cultural superiority of tamilians. Boofuckinghoo! Sruthi Hassan was intolerable in that movie.

Phenom

DMK should know that Buddhism is an 'Aryan' religion :troll:
Can I ask how that's relevant here?

To our mallu friends;

Its a Tamil movie, ofcourse its going to be jingo about Tamil culture, what else do you expect? If you guys don't like seeing such thing then don't watch Tamil movies.

SPIEZ

Country flag
DMK should know that Buddhism is an 'Aryan' religion :troll:
Poor! Buddhism was practised by the "so called lower caste" in TN !something that the DMK had no problems with and acknowledged

SPIEZ

Country flag

To our mallu friends;

Its a Tamil movie, ofcourse its going to be jingo about Tamil culture, what else do you expect? If you guys don't like seeing such thing then don't watch Tamil movies.
Well said!
The movie is about promoting Tamil culture, not demoting other cultures! Perhaps jealously has creep-ed into a few.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
All cultures of India have contributed immensely to the cultural heritage!

We should also contribute to our cultural heritage rather than enter into oneupmanship that is of no use to man or beast.

What is more important? That Kung Fu came from India or it was a Tamil show?

So, should we say SEAsia and China got Buddhism from Nepal and actually from Bihar since he achieved Nirvana in Gaya and not from India?

That way, which State did Hinduism come from?

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
All cultures of India have contributed immensely to the cultural heritage!

We should also contribute to our cultural heritage rather than enter into oneupmanship that is of no use to man or beast.

So, should we say SEAsia and China got Buddhism from Nepal and actually from Bihar since he achieved Nirvana in Gaya and not from India?

That way, which State did Hinduism come from?
Very well said sir! I think the point of the movie was just, to stop the oneupmanship, and contribute to the culture alone! No harm was intended to anyone else.

A particular knit from a neighbouring country was especially included for political and emotional gain.

Otherwise nothing else was offensive!

Adux

Country flag

To our mallu friends;

Not an issue, Mallu's arent much into this kind of cultural jingoism, therefore this is quite amusing and fascinating. There isnt anything to be jealous about the Tamil culture, atleast from a mallu perspective. I was really taken aback by the way that woman behaved to me, as well as constant 'has been' cry in the movie.

But for everything else, Semper Fi

SPIEZ

Country flag
Movie is full of theatrics and dramatics! One shouldn't watch it expecting documentaries.

I guess Tamil films are doing better than certain regional, that they have audiences in other languages too!

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
Yup, we do watch tamil movies for their comedic value and how 'not to' make a movie!

Phenom

Absolutely agree with you,

There were several Tamil posters who posted in the thread and none talked about the regional aspect of Bodhidharman, even in the movie the hero fights to save India (not just TN) from some Chinese plot.

But if members from other states troll around, you have to expect us to respond.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles