BJP won't have prime ministerial candidate in next elections

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by nrj, Aug 16, 2011.

1. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

In a major change of its electoral policy, the BJP has decided not to project any of its leaders as a prime ministerial candidate in the next Lok Sabha polls due in 2014.

The party has instead decided to showcase a collective team comprising all its top leaders, BJP president
    Nitin Gadkari told HT.

He said this approach would ensure that the entire opposition's energies are channelised to tap what he described as "the growing public mood against the Congress".

BJP strategists said this approach would prevent a race among its top leaders in the run-up to the polls.

By keeping the leadership issue at bay, the party would be able to ensure that everyone works for the BJP's success and would prevent rival parties from rousing an anti-BJP sentiment as witnessed in the 2004 and 2009 elections, they said.

Denying that the absence of a single face would be a handicap, Gadkari said, "Our strength lies in the unity of the party and its experienced leaders and thousands of workers. There is no dearth of able leaders to take up the top job as and when we get the mandate."

"Elections can take place any time. The government appears to be on the brink and it is difficult for it to drag on till 2014. One thing is clear: it's not going to get any better for the Congress," Gadkari said.

He also does not see the possibility of any NDA leader being projected as the next prime minister "at this stage".

BJP won't have prime ministerial candidate in next elections - Hindustan Times

3. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

So we won't know who we are voting for?
    welcome to Democracy 2.0

4. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

So last time they were after the congress to declare it's candidate so that the people knew who their PM would be and now they will not declare a candidate.

Politics!!! It will never stop surprising you.

5. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

Hypocrisy is second name of politics.

Basically the vast majority of voters are ignorant and have short memory and politicians recognize this and exploit them.

In a democracy if people at the top are shameless thieves then it is the fault of the people voting for them. That includes me and you and everyone else.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
    amitkriit and malluowl like this.
  6. malluowl

malluowl Regular Member

Personally, I do not care whether they project someone or not unless they have plans to put up the Reddy monkeys. Where is the terrorists when we need them so bad!!!

7. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

A very wise decision on part of BJP. As it is as part of our political system it is the party and their individual candidates who are elected by the people. This will open the doors for Nitish Kumar as the Prime Ministerial candidate in case NDA gets the required number os seats.

maomao likes this.
  8. Yusuf

No chance for Nitish to be PM. do you think the BJP will let go of the chair being the largest party in the coalition?

9. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

If they want to spend another 5 years in the opposition benches then yes they will oppose Nitish Kumar's nomination.

Param likes this.
  10. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

mate,

if they were to do that, they would have said there wont be a bjp candidate but a NDA candidate, and the only real chance they have is if they announce nitish kumar as a PM candidate of NDA and then go to seek votes, not otherwise.

bjp doesnt have a name that can help them sweep national elections, they need a ABV, that can only be done by NK, otherwise bjp and nda should forget it.

11. Yusuf

I think the BJP is loathe to name Modi as their candidate. Plus internal bickering will make sure no one will let the other get the upper hand. Frankly, Modi apart BJP has no leader at all worth any experience or stature apart from the old warhorse to lead the country. I mean they dont even have good leaders fit to be Union Ministers. Most of their leaders are TV stars.

12. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

mate,

yes true, and even if they by any chance nominate modi, he will never have an unifying effect on bjp's vote base and more importantly on fence sitters who are the people who really matter in a win and defeat.

nda will have to present a face which will be acceptable to all cross-section of societies, and NK has that appeal which can do for nda, and bjp, but as you said, and i will rephrase it, what is bigger, the will to form the government, which they can under NK, or the greed to hold on to the PM post, which at least in the foreseeable future on their own and with the support of NDA partners they cant.

better sense should say, the former, but the greed should say latter and for some reason i suspect the latter.

do they have good ministerial candidates, well neither did/do UPA I/II had/have, and that doesnt really matter to the indian electorate, that said they will any day have a better foreign minister and foreign policies which what was the real ministry that performed in NDA days.

13. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

Nitish is acceptable all across the political spectrum. The BJP might need his support more than him needing the BJP's support.

They should either portray Modi as the party candidate for PM or they should make Nitish the NDA candidate for PM.

14. himanshugoswami

himanshugoswami Regular Member

my analysis is that if the BJP manages anything in the region of 180 -200 seats on its own, then tehy will push for Modi as PM with the other NDA partners getting plum posts. If NDA gets a majority with BJP around the 140-150 mark, then N K has a very strong chance, followed closely by Chandrababu Naidu (assuming he joins the NDA back and TDP does reasonably well in the polls)- with any of these guys at the helm, india would be well off.....now the question that remains is will the NDA come back to power.....only time will tell.

15. nrj

Hello! This is not another 'who should be BJP's PM candidate'. This is about -

And I really dont buy this. Those top leaders are not school kids to calm them for sometime in this manner. :lol:

16. Yusuf

India has had bad experiences of going with PMs from minor partners. Chandrashekhar, IK Gujral and Devegowda were the worst PMs of India. The governments did not last too long and we lost a lot during their reign.
    The majority party usually heads the government. I dont know if Modi is working secretly within the party and working up a base, it could well be that the BJP will fight without a face and then if it wins, Modi will lead. They are probably wary of naming him up front. But I am not sure about it. Just my thought.

I will disagree on the ministerial part of the UPA mate. I think very experienced leaders are there in it including those who head the vital four ministries. Name equivalent leaders in the BJP of their stature.

17. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Power makes strange bedfellows.:hail:Anyway I think Modi will make a better Home Minister than a Prime Minister.

Experience counts but not always. You can have a greenhorn doing a job pretty much as effective as another experienced campaigner. Well in any case , as an instance , what has the experienced Krishna done except indulge in some embarrassing moments time and again.

18. Param

Param Senior Member Senior Member

The performance of those PMs has nothing to do with regions. Their Govts that you have cited are NF and UF. Both these Govts were like Khichdis in which the 2 big national parties had a supportive role. These Govts were completely unstable and a perect example for 'too many cooks spoil the Broth'.

19. Yusuf

By this argument, Rahul Gandhi would make a good minister or better PM? The oft repeated claim against Rahul is that he is not experienced. We cannot have it two ways.

20. nrj

BJP won't have PM candidate in next elections. So now Mayawati can surely announce her PM candidency as the greatest alternative :lol:

Guys please choose PM for me, Maya behen or yuvraaj? :puke:

21. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

Obviously someone like Narendra Modi has shown interest in New Delhi. That's why they won't project a PM candidtate until they have won.

However, if Congress projects a candidate like Rahul Gandhi during the polls, BJP will be under tremendous pressure to put forth at least one name.