BJP squirms at Gadkari bash

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by S.A.T.A, Dec 5, 2010.

1. S.A.T.A

S.A.T.A Senior Member Senior Member

BJP squirms at Gadkari bash

New Delhi, Dec. 3: The BJP is blushing redder than a bride as its president Nitin Gadkari celebrates his son’s wedding with a four-day bash in Nagpur.

The splurge and ostentation, sources said, look inappropriate and “politically incorrect” in this season of corruption scandals. BJP leaders fear that the wedding may hand the Congress further ammunition after the corruption charges against Karnataka chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa.

Local Congress leaders have been criticising the “show of extravagance”, with member of legislature S.Q. Zama quoted as saying he would not go “in protest against the ugly display of money”.

Gadkari’s son Nikhil married Nagpur girl Rutuja according to traditional Maharashtrian rites yesterday. Some 2,500 guests attended the wedding, held at a top-end hotel. But the power reception was scheduled this evening on the Vidarbha Cricket Association lawns, with the guest list of 2,000 including politicians, industrialists, diplomats and Bollywood stars.

Tomorrow, a reception has been organised at Nagpur’s Reshim Baug grounds for BJP workers and others. A family source said over two lakh invites had been sent out.

The BJP chartered a 186-seater plane to ferry its leaders and members from Delhi to Nagpur and back tonight. Shyam Jaju, the office secretary, insisted that every passenger had paid Rs 7,200 for his or her ticket and that anyone with “doubts” was welcome to check the vouchers at the party headquarters.

Another 22 chartered flights were expected to land at Nagpur airport this evening, with BJP sources clarifying that these belonged to industrialists. Reports from Nagpur said Gadkari had three helicopters on standby.

The BJP chief ministers were using their state aircraft. Despite Gadkari’s invite to the entire Congress brass, including Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, it seemed nobody from Delhi would be going.

Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan and his ministers were expected to represent the Congress. The other notable political invitees included Sharad Pawar, Uddhav Thackeray, Raj Thackeray and Sharad Yadav.

The Ambani brothers and Amitabh Bachchan were on the guest list too.

BJP sources said the choice of Nagpur as the venue was “unfortunate”. First, Vidarbha has witnessed a spate of suicides by debt-ridden farmers and second, the city is the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh’s base. Gadkari owes his job to the Sangh, which sets great store by austerity.

Sangh sources said Gadkari could have “avoided the mega event”. They recalled his father was a Sangh pracharak and that Gadkari was brought up in the “RSS culture”. A source said: “We don’t know what message he is sending, although he might excuse himself by saying it was a private affair.’

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Indian marriages are extravagant. For the rich it is once in a lifetime (if they have a single child) to splurge and show off their wealth. The more money you have, the more they spend. So its not surprising that Gadkari is spending a lot of money on his sons marriage. why all this bruhaha?

4. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

That's nothing compared to UPA's fake-austerity. Just a couple of weeks ago, wasn't Congress top brass at a DMK member's wedding which was just as much of a splurge?

Gadkari has a lot of personal wealth that has little to do with his political career.

It never fails to amuse me how UPA uses 100-crore Rupee scams by NDA to try and justify its 100,000-crore Rupee scams, or how it tries to cover up countless occassions of fake-austerity by its members with one act of inausterity by Gadkari.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  5. S.A.T.A

The other day Gadkari had swooned at a public rally organized by BJP to protest against the increasing price rise in essential commodities,esp such things as edible oil and vegetables.Looking at the above report i dont think the BJP president has ever had the occasion to skip a favorite meal owing to price rise rendering it unaffordable.Sangh's premium of austerity is often said to be exacting and in a society eagerly embracing the vanity of ostentatious materialism,its more than likely some parivar members will slip from the high seat..............Still as the BJP president and former Sangh Pracharak, Gadkari should have learnt by now that 'austerity, like charity, first begins at home'.

6. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Agreed. Maybe he shouldn't have made statements some days ago which now people can easily target....

[video]http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/136458/big-fat-gadkari-wedding-wheres-the-austerity.html[/video]

7. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I agree that Indian weddings are a lavish extravaganza.

However, if one has made politics a career, one has to ensure that they behave like the am admi for whom their heart overflow with sympathy and grief.

For instance, in Jak LI, the majority of troops are Kashmiri Muslim. The officers are from all communities of the country. Yet, they also undertake the rituals of Ramadan! They don't have to, but they do since that is the way they identify with their troops. And I am sure the troops appreciate the officers effort to identify with them!

In war, because of this identification, such leaders have the moral authority over the troops and have the willing loyalty to take on the Pakistanis, who are co religionist of the troops while their officers are not!

To gain the faith of those who you want to command, a lot of sacrifice is needed.

Likewise, the politicians too have to show they are worthy of the faith of the people they represent. However, winning votes can be conjured in many ways that circumvent being worthy of the faith of one's constituency!

That is the charm of being a politician.

You can have your cake and eat it too!

8. S.A.T.A

It can be contended that the logic that a rich cannot speak for the poor is inherently flawed,but it still has some nominal value.Sarojini Naidu once sarcastically quipped that it cost a lot of money to keep Gandhiji in poverty.Gandhi and Indian national congress were well aware that the formality of poverty may have seemed hollow, but still it helped connect with the masses.

I don't want to appear like i'm carrying a grudge against rich politicians,or the rich in general,but how will a politicians who gifts a 9 Crore bungalow to his son ever know the hope and aspiration of the poor and the working class.For an LDC clerk in a govt department his greatest aspiration in life is to save over life time enough to buy gold that will see his daughters married off with respect and dignity,gold that would not have cost a fraction of what Gadkari spent on one of the charted choppers.This is a country where young brides are doused in kerosene and burnt alive over their failure to bring a f'kin colour TV.

How can i expect rich and 'not so humble to flash it' politicians to represent me and speak up for my concerns on the floor of the national parliament.They dont even connect with my day to day life or that this countries multitude of great unwashed.The tragedy is that there is no effort to even to pretend to connect.

9. rcscwc

rcscwc Tihar Jail Banned

Why such a hullabaloo? Why should anyone squirm or raise eye brows? this is not the first or last such an extravagant wediing?

10. Ray

True.

But then the BJP is said to be a nationalist party that vibes with the frequency of the nation!

And how does it sound when BJP projects the idea that - 'austerity, like charity, first begins at home'.

I am sure that many like you who care for the nation and who feel that BJP is a better choice feel when such ideals as - 'austerity, like charity, first begins at home' are flouted to the hilt!

I am no fan of the Congress, because they have proved to be a Chimera.

But then, how is the BJP not proving to be no different?

Chimera

A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication.

Politics in India is a A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication that befools all with false piety and self sacrifice.

The hullabaloo and brouhaha is because we expect them to be examples that they claim that they are!

Has any politician claimed he is a thug or that he does not believe in the Gandhian way of honest living?

Only Mallya has shown no regrets that he is the King of Good Times and he is not ashamed of being so!

Haven't you heard Manish Tiwari, Mau Singhvi and that whining effeminate voiced Tom Vadakkan hitting back that why the people don't join politics, if they feel politicians are corrupt and useless?

Well, my answer to them is that we have to be thugs with muscle power and have ill gotten funds to squander without worry where the next meal is to come from and the hide of a rhinoceros to smile like a cherub even when telling a lie that would shame the women of easy virtues! Sadly, most Indians do not qualify to have these excellent qualities that make the Indian politicians.

That is why Manmohan Singh, who is said to be honest and weak (no musclemen around) and silent like a lamp post (he squirms to tell lies) has never won an election.

That is why Capt Gopinath of the path breaking Deccan Airways (an ex Artillery officer of the Indian Army) and the ABN Amro boss Ms Sanyal (daughter of Admiral Talhiani) could not win an election. I thought Ms Sanyal will win since Mumbaikars said 'Never Again' after 26/11!!

11. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Senior Member Senior Member

When i saw glimpse of this lavishness in news i was taken by a shock. But minutes later my introspection revealed that it was not 'shock' rather a guilt for not being that rich. As long as dues are paid fairly and honestly there is nothing wrong i see in it. Happy married life to Nikhil and Rutuja.

True, but this is not Nitin Gadkari's weeding. What if his son is entirely non political and had requested his father to make his weeding extravagant? Will it not be cruel of Nitin Gadkari(who at this point is only a father whose son is getting married) to kill his son's life just because of his [personal] political interests?

12. rcscwc

rcscwc Tihar Jail Banned

Ray, you are one of those illusioned into thinking [perhaps secular brigade diddit] that BJP must be different. When you find it same as other, you say: Ha, they too are rotten. You want an alibi to demonise BJP.

13. kuku

kuku Respected Member

Yes ladies and gentlemen, its your hard earned tax money going into this lavish wedding, ek aaoo, anek aaoo, pet bhar ke khana khao, apne ghar ki shaadi samajhiye, dulha neta ka chora hai...

LoL, gadkari sahab ne tond aise hi nahi banayee hai....

I feel a bit guilty at this, can anyone give a link to show this gadkari did not have the income to splurge like he did, so that i can go back to criticising him for the politician he is.

Waaaaaaaaaaa, meri shadi bhi kara do gadkari uncle........

Message sent: thank you for your income tax, we had very nice time.

I recently attended a wedding of a PWD engineer's daughter in Delhi, my my what nice food they had (some 10 stalls with different food), the dowry was a honda city (plus whatever else, the city was visible), i told my friend, have a hearty meal and drink as much as you can, its not so often that us taxpayers get a chance to enjoy our tax money.

14. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

if congrees has problem then it must checks NG`S INCOME TAX RETURNS FILE

15. S.A.T.A

Nitin Bhai certainly has a duty towards his children and that includes arranging their wedding,a duty of every Hindu father.But Nitin Gadkari also has a duty towards his party and the Sangh.when it was clear that the wedding cannot be just any humble 'nimbu paani affair and would end in splurging outrageous sums of money for feast and festivities,it was incumbent upon him to resign from party presidency and then proceed with the lavish wedding.This way Gadkari would have done his duty towards his children and the party.

16. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Celebrity Wedding - Priyanka Gandhi and Robert Vadhera

WANNA see where bofors paisa was invested check out the video btw pointless bitching by political opponents all of them do the same sh!t perhaps the degree varies but that's it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  17. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

Absolutely annoying. Gadkari has made a mockery of the austere lifestyle and code of RSS. I know marriages are supposed to be grand in our country but transforming a marriage ceremony into an all-party meet is wrong and totally portrays a venerable organization in a light that it is certainly not supposed to be in. Nitin should have separated politics from personal issues. Had the marriage been non-party related, it could be accepted. But still the man is better than what Congees do. At least he seems to be working unlike some who wield power.

18. Ray

Not quite.

What alibi do I want?

Alibi means:

[a. A form of defense whereby a defendant attempts to prove that he or she was elsewhere when the crime in question was committed.

b. The fact of having been elsewhere when a crime in question was committed.

2. Usage Problem An explanation offered to avoid blame or justify action; an excuse.

I maybe bold to state that you are having an Usage problem!

I know people across the political spectrum.

I have seen them all.

I am apolitical and judge issues on merits.

19. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

why do people fight over which party is less corrupt ?

its like arguing about two murderes where people from both sides claim that one person is houlier than thou when infact both are scum...it doen't matter who is less or not because given the opportunity they should do more vile things.

20. rcscwc

rcscwc Tihar Jail Banned

OK Ray. Make it BALI KA BAKRA. You have to find one. NAHIN TO BALI cannot be, not in WB or NE.

For 2 1/2 years I was posted at Asansol and Maithon. In those 30 months I travelled, by road, about 1,20,,000 kms [1akh 20 thousans. If you doubt it then request for RTI info aqbout travel logs o0f Director M & A Asansol] in WB, Bihar, Jharkhand. My duties took me to MP and Orissa too. So I know about Balis and Bali Ka Bakras too.

Am I?

21. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Thread closed. Its another thread that's being closed as members are going personal.