BJP eyes votes with Rs 500cr largesse to mutts in Karnataka

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

BANGALORE: In the past five years, the BJP has doled out several goodies to mutts — totalling over Rs 500 crore. The party may be expecting sweet returns in the forthcoming elections but the mutt heads are singing a different tune: that of being apolitical.

The largesse has come under severe criticism from the opposition, but the beneficiaries defend the largesse and dispute the claim that government money is intended to create a vote-bank among devotees.

"What's wrong in the government giving money to mutts? But the government should ensure the money is spent on social causes. People may follow and abide by mutt diktats on various social issues, but it is foolish to think mutts direct people to vote for a particular party,'' said Sri Channabasava Shivacharya Swamiji of the 600-year-old Harkud mutt in Bidar district.

Discarding the theory that mutts have their own vote-bank, the seer said: "Most mutts are aloof from politics. Followers of a particular mutt may revolt against a particular politician if he or she acts against the mutt's interests. But this should not be generalized or construed as political influence of a mutt,'' he explained.

Shivananda Shivacharya Swamiji of Sonna mutt in Gulbarga district endorses the Harkud seer. "There are many mutts in the state which are involved in the social and educational uplift of the people. If the government gives some money, it adds to the cause.'' He detailed how his mutt is involved in imparting education and protecting traditional vocations in villages which are on the verge of extinction.

Asked if mutts influence voters, the seer said: "It's not true. No mutt is involved in politics. These days, who listens to religious heads when it comes to politics?''

Jayamrutnjaya Swamiji of Kudalasangama Panchamashali mutt believes they should primarily depend on followers for funds. However, he prefers giving money for the mutts' social activities and renovation of temples.

Over Rs 500 crore in 5 years

Former CM BS Yeddyurappa was generous in giving donations to mutts and temples. An RTI query has revealed that he had granted close to Rs 300 crore in his 34-month tenure. His predecessors continued the practice.

In the 2012-13 budget, D V Sadananda Gowda released Rs 75 crore in grants to mutts and different communities. With elections around the corner, this year, Jagadish Shettar donned the role of Santa Claus and earmarked more than Rs 200 crore for religious institutions. Initially, he had earmarked Rs 182.5 crore for various caste denominations, including the Lingayat mutts. Before getting the budget passed in legislature, he doled out more goodies.

Earmarking funds for mutts is not the CM's initiative, most legislators support it. It was no secret that legislators, especially those belonging to the BJP, made a representation to the CM and got funds allocated to mutts and organizations in their constituencies. The CM cited a few legislators and said he had made the allocations based on their request.

However, some opposition leaders are against giving money to mutts. "How can you call a budget good if it offers goodies to mutts? If we come to power in the next elections, we will present a new budget and discontinue the practice,'' said a senior Congress leader.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/BJP...o-mutts-in-Karnataka/articleshow/18667774.cms

3. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Ever thought how much money is donated by Hindus to temples? Where does it go? If govt gives a little sum back, why the skies are falling? Many of these mutts run schools, colleges, health care etc.

I wonder where does haj subsidy come from?

A flame news inspired by sickular funds.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    A chauhan likes this.
  4. Sam2012

Sam2012 Tihar Jail Banned

But winning a poll in Karnataka is as difficult as pakistan winning a war against India , Thanks to Ex-CM B.S.Yeddurappa

5. Yusuf

It would be a miracle if te karnataka polls see a 40% turnout. Karnataka state is doomed. I am all set to vote 0-0 for assembly polls if they have that option.

Its going to be a four way battle. Money, Liquor and biryani will flow like crazy. Still there will e a hung assembly and Karnataka will certainly not get a decent govt. I am very pessimistic about te future of Karnataka.

6. Sam2012

Better skip voting:thumb:

7. Yusuf

So that someone else casts his vote in my name? No! Never!

If there is no option, I will vote for the last evil which is what it has come to these days in Indian politics.

There is no doubt who will get my vote for Lok Sabha especially if one party gets going and makes a crucial candidate announcement!

8. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Low turn out has never doomed any state. And high turn out is not going to pull Tripura from the pit it is in. You can opt for not casting your vote, but you will HAVE to go and do it there.

Money, liquor, biriyani, threats flow in a torrent everywhere. Never did the skies fall.

It will go on going like this.

[sarcasm]But do not do anything.[/sarcasm]

Then go on crying that the system is rotten. Never move a finger to improve it but say: koi kutchtch karta kyon nahin? कोई कुच्छ करता क्यों नहीं?

9. Yusuf

No low turn out will not ruin the state. What I meant was regardless of te turnout the result is going to doom the state.

People are aware of all parties now. BJP has withered away a huge mandate. Yeddi personally has lost out except for his vote bank caste. JD, well the lesser said the better about it. Cong is yet to find an able leader to lead the state PCC let alone te state. Well it could change if SM Krishna comes into the picture. He was seen as a good CM back then. But he has become older now and don't know if he has the same vigor.

10. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Yusuf, in second para youn are giving all the reasons why BJP is likely to win. So this verdict is going to doom the state? Is BJP agenda to doom the nation?

But yes, come election, BJP might still win due to sympathy vote.

11. Sam2012

Sir i don't blame system , System is fine we people of this country has bent the system for our favour

If i don't cast vote will that make huge impact , its my will and wish & i don't want to cast my vote for any buffon:frusty:

12. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Yes, your vote is very valuable. Every single vote is precious. Exercise your right NOT to vote by filling a form at the booth. Even that matters.

13. nrupatunga

nrupatunga Senior Member Senior Member

Though i am not saying that there are no irregularties in running of mutts, but in karnataka mutt's have/are doing a huge social service. That is also one of the reason compared to other southern states missionary activities have not provided results. Let me provide the example of Adichunchanagiri mutt.

panduranghari, GPM and Patriot like this.
  14. Yusuf

BJP has failed the people of Karnataka.

For Lok Sabha I vote on national issues although the MP of my area is a waste of the first order. His house is close to mine and you have to see the area. He has done nothing for the area so far. Luckily he is in he BJP and will get my vote as I will vote for the party not the individual.

But at the assembly level, no one is worthy. BJP now has no one with any ideas if what to do for the state. Yeddi only wants the chair to probably scuttle all investigations and make more money. JD well Gowda will want to buy out the rest of Bangalore. Congress still has to find a leader.

15. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Pal, it is not as if other parties have not filed many other states. What about AP? Is TN alround better off than Gujarat? What about UP, WB [failed by Commies and now by TMC]

So singling out BJP is purile.

16. nrupatunga

+100.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But some 3 or 4 months back, it seemed that bjp has messed it up so much that it's existence as a potent force itself is at stake. But now it's not so, it has made some comeback, it will survive. Though it may suffer setbacks this elections.

Now coming to Yedyurappa, he is facing genuine organisational issues that any new party faces. Who knows he may still get his goal of 20-30 seats. But there are serious organisational issues. Also bjp saying that it will continue with jagadish shettar will hurt yedyurappa's chances. Finally if he fails miserably, its not because of his popularity failing but because of organisational issues.

Now to JD(s), national media and english media in state totally fail to understand Devegowda. If he is really that foolish as made out in media, he could not survive in politics for 50 years at all. He is certainly not a humble farmer, but if one thinks he is fumble harmer type, then they fumble in their analysis.Karnataka is above average - progressive state, so without any works, one simply can not survive here. Let me ask people, how many politicians are there in karnataka who can talk on various issues ex. irrigation without looking at prepared speeches. He certainly can, yes he certainly can.

Now to congress, this election is for congress to win. But only if it manages to broker peace among various factions within the party and work for victory. If congress looses this election, it will be only one reason - infighting and sabotaging.

17. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Kar state govt gets annually more than that from the temple income controlled by Muzrai department of state govt. So they are just returning some of the loot we can say!

Patriot likes this.
  18. nrupatunga

Who is returning some of the loot???
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also please let me know your thoughts on my post on various key players/parties of the state.

19. Yusuf

The state in question is Karnataka so I limited myself to that. I am not singling out BJP. My posts suggest I am kissed off with all four parties in Karnataka to te extent that I want to do a 0-0 vote for the assembly elections.

20. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Every state govt does that.

21. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

oops duplicate