BJP elevates Narendra Modi as poll panel chief for 2014

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Last Updated: Sunday, June 09, 2013, 16:29

Panaji: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi is set to lead the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the run up to the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. Party president Rajnath Singh on Sunday announced Modi’s elevation as BJP’s poll panel chief for the upcoming Assembly elections and the General Elections.

Addressing party members at the meet, the BJP president said, “The country is looking up to the BJP. We need to get prepared for the elections and Modi is the most appropriate person to lead the party to the elections…he is the most popular chief minister.” He added that the decision was taken on the basis of consensus.

Following the announcement, senior party leaders Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj garlanded Modi on the stage.

Later, speaking to mediapersons, the BJP president said, "I want to give you a significant information. ...I have announced (at the National Executive) that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as Chairman of the BJP Election Campaign Committee, keeping in mind the challenge of the 2014 Lok Sabha elections and to achieve victory in the polls."

Reacting to the development, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh congratulated Modi, but ruled out any comparison between the Gujarat Chief Minister and Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.

The big ticket decision was taken at the BJP National Executive in Goa despite strong opposition from party veteran L K Advani and his supporters. Reportedly, Advani had offered a compromise formula, suggesting that Modi be appointed as the convenor and not the chairman of the poll panel.

However, the suggestions were kept aside in the wake of strong voices of support for the Gujarat Chief Minister from within the party.

Advani, who was reported to be sick, skipped the BJP National Executive meet for the first time in his entire career. He was backed by several other senior leaders like Yashwant Sinha, Uma Bharti and Jaswant Singh, who also chose to remain absent from the meeting.

Modi, who arrived in confidence amid a rousing welcome at the three-day conclave, had a string of leaders clamouring to anoint him as the party's prime ministerial candidate for the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls. Following this, the BJP had said that the “big announcement” would be possible on Sunday.

Party president Rajnath Singh, who has appeared to be on Modi's side, in his inaugural address to the meet had said all would go home "happy and enthusiastic".

So, BJP preferred Modi to Advani.

It was Advani who took BJP from a 2 seat Party to the juggernaut it became.

Rather a sad way to put him to pasture.

However, it does not mean that Modi will be the PM because one wonders if he can bring the NDA on board.

It will also be a wonder if BJP under Modi can have enough seats to not require help from any other political party or from the partners in the NDA.

Nitish will surely not root for Modi as the PM!

3. Ray

SAD welcomes Narendra Modi’s appointment

NDA ally Shiromani Akali Dal on Sunday welcomed BJP’s decision to anoint Narendra Modi as Chairman of its Election Campaign Committee for the 2014 polls, saying the decision would be “catalytic” in the alliance’s victory march.

“The people of the country are looking towards National Democratic Alliance to save the country from the clutches of most corrupt UPA government. As Narendra Modi has been made Chairman of Poll Campaign Committee of BJP, the biggest alliance partner of NDA, it (the decision) would be catalytic in NDA’s victory march in 2014 elections,” SAD leader Sukhbir Badal said in a statement in Chandigarh.

This is the “beginning of decimation of corrupt, inefficient and insensitive UPA-II government from the Centre,” he said.

The Punjab Deputy Chief Minister said that Mr. Modi has shown his capability and calibre in successful poll campaigns of Gujarat.

“We should utilise his services to effectively chalk out NDA’s campaign, and projecting the failures of UPA-II,” he added.

He also said the SAD has remained an inseparable part of NDA and would continue to support BJP in all its moves and decisions to oust Congress from power.

SAD welcomes Narendra Modi’s appointment | The Hindu

4. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

heard what that stupid woman at CNNIBN has to say about Modi's speech, which cries of preplanned being so well presented with images and vids. Why is she and her ilk is so afraid of Modi and so fast to protect the G-Gang??!!! They are as subtle being Congress mouthpiece as a bull in a alley!!!

5. Ray

I am not too sure that this was not a well played out.plan.

The Patriarch and some leading lights disapproving and staying away.

Clams those nerves outside the BJP and of the NDA that there is still hope that Modi is not going to be the PM candidate.

Tussle on.

Modi made only the Chairman of the Polls.

Charisma cashed on in the election.

If a considerable majority won in the election, declare Modi as the PM.

If not a sizeable majority won, then allow some other acceptable chap to be the PM so that others of the NDA willingly and without reservation joins in.

End result - BJP wins both ways!

What will be now interesting is the cold feet that the UPA will have and how the cold goes down their spine because of Modi has being put in the forefront and as a possible PM candidate!

I am looking forward to today's Primetime on National TV.

My favourites, Renuka Chowdhary, Digvijay Singh, Manu Shankar Aiyer, Abhishek Sanghvi, Jha dot com, Poonawala, Tiwari will surely be genuinely down with a serious bout of genuine Namonia and Namonitis!

And Ravi Shankar Prasad, Kohli, Rudy and others who have the Namonitis surfacing from the cold.

A nice circus is in the offing.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
    TrueSpirit likes this.
  6. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

See its plain simple media and govt goes hand in hand. You can check some below average anchor on NDTV nominates Sonia Gandhi as Indian of the year and guess what the same mediocre anchor gets Padma Shri reportedly for her coverage of Tsunami.

Its a core group of interest who wants everything to remains static so that they can continue reap the fruits for years of sycophancy if Modi comes this will change.

So these interest groups are merely saving their bread :)

Is it the list of internal dissidents who don't want Modi at the top, but Yashwant Sinha openly supported Namo the others no

thakur_ritesh likes this.
  7. warriorextreme

warriorextreme Senior Member Senior Member

Today Rajnath Sinh Said that Indias current account deficit was not negative in their reign...and it turns out that this is true...India's current account deficit is at all time low.

[​IMG]

Doesn't pathetic congress feel even tiny bit ashamed of itself to promote Bharat Nirman crap??
    When BJP started India shining campaign India was really shining...

8. WMD

WMD Regular Member

This might just be a bluff to eyewash the people into voting for BJP in Modi's name and then nominate someone for PM after the polls are over.
    Or it might be the beginning of a gradual process of projecting Modi as the PM candidate of BJP(NDA).
    Even a week is a long time in politics. So they probably won't announce a PM candidate before the electioneering for 2014 polls gathers full pace.
    But BJP stands to gain more if it announces Modi as the PM candidate than anyone else.

9. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Poll Panel Chief 2014 is a lot worse than being a PM Candidate 2014.

sayareakd likes this.
  10. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

No, this is actually very much enough now. Because, this meeting got a lot of hype and coverage than any else. Nobody was too much interested before in that chairman post modi got. Now suddenly people think it's a big job and most of people think Modi would lead India if he leads BJP. While allies know this post doesn't mean he's a PM candidate, not without their wish. Now BJP doesn't need to declare name of PM candidate. This minor step will win people's mind,heart and trust that Modi could be PM and simultaneously allies will remain in Pocket of BJP. After the election, we will see how much seats BJP gets and BJP will decide accordingly whether Modi will be PM or not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

aragorn, parijataka and Mad Indian like this.
  11. VIP

India was really shining but people don't like such attitude of advertisement of our ownselves.

12. WMD

WMD Regular Member

Pardon my language but that blows.
    If BJP doesn't announce Modi as its PM candidate then it will win less no. of seats compared to what it could win if it announces Modi as such before the general elections.
    People won't vote for Advani and you can't fool them with white lies.

13. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

It is said that Modi can help increase BJP vote share from 18% to 27% . If this materializes, this would mean close to 230 seats for BJP alone.

All allies would fall in place automatically with such an impressive mandate, going by the fractured/ divisive nature of today's Indian polity.

14. TrueSpirit

Yeah, but timing is the keyword here. The announcement of Modi as PM candidate should be done just 1 month before the poll eve, not today. BJP has taken the right decision today.

15. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Adwani is not PM material.

The BJP is a party of ordinary people who will certainly have internal traction. They do not have privileges like Congress-I has, who can even appoint a dog backed by blessing of Gandhi Dynasty and then try its luck in elections.

Adwani is best a mediocre politician who can be easily pushed and defeated by congress-I, not to mention his unexplained benign attitude towards congress-I while sitting in opposition throughout his tenure and two consecutive defeats BJP conceded.

One can see suddenly congress-I is so in love with L.K Adwani, the jitters and desperation congress-I trolls are having for last two day when it became inevitable that Modi will be elevated.

It will be a shame if this nation will not give mandate to BJP in next elections, I hope I be able to book an air ticket for India and cast my vote for them.

BTW the theory by few that forward class RSS was opposing BC Modi has failed.

16. VIP

After seeing such circus at goa, I don't think people will consider LKA significant in BJP. Rajnath Singh, RSS very much took decision by going over the head of LKA. That part was highlighted the most. And if LKA isn't there, then who will be ?? Common man will think it's NaMo. And NaMo is the chairman of campaign committee so consider the material of the campaign as a Brand Modi, Gujarat Model. Seriously, Modi knows how to attract people, he knows how effectively election campaign can be done. I know this because of experience of 2012. Modi suddenly launched " Ek mat Gujarat" campaign and launched series of programs including " Van Thbhyu Gujarat" and 3D campaign. People like to here Modi face to face. That campaign effectively crushed congress' brand tulika campaign. We'll see what happens, whatever happens it will be fun to watch Modi kicking arse of G-gang and making reporters very much desperate to cover G-gang's arse....:lol:

17. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Its going/is to be very tricky.

I think Modi should be announced as PM candidate so that allies be tested way before and then tickets be easily worked out, I may be wrong.

18. TrueSpirit

Of course, it is tricky. Lets see how next 10 months unfold.

19. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

A few idiots have started moaning on social media and in front of foreign news outlets about "India lurching towards fascism". Bloody idiots, some people have no shame at all.

20. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Such people have to do something for a living, atleast Modi is giving them an opportunity for getting a livelihood :)

21. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Food bill = UPA's victory.