Bihar's Sushil Kumar first to win Rs 5 crore on KBC-5.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Bihar boy wins Rs 5 crore on KBC

Sushil Kumar, who belongs to a small town in Bihar, has won Rs 5 crore on Kaun Banega Crorepati 5 (Sony Entertainment). He's the first contestant to have won an amount this big, ever since the show upped its prize money from Rs 1 crore to Rs 5 crore two seasons ago.

"It feels like a dream for someone who hasn't seen anything beyond a couple of thousand rupees as his salary," beams Sushil, who now plans to use this money to study for the civil services examinations in Delhi and get a better-paying government job. "Maybe I'll believe this when I actually watch the episode with my family on TV."

Sushil works for a government agency where he computes records. His salary depends on how many data files get uploaded on the website. Since the process is slow, he gets his measly compensation of Rs 6,000 once every six months.

His financial condition, he admits, became worse with every marriage in his family as the responsibilities and expenses increased. "Today, we don't have a house of our own. We used to have one, but it was in a bad state and we couldn't afford another roof. A rented house is a pain in Bihar," he says, adding that now, he'd like to build a dream home for himself, one that would be sufficient for his parents, two elder and two younger brothers, his wife and the family's kids.

"I had calculated that all this could be sorted out in Rs 25 lakh. I aimed to win only that much." Sushil will use this money to clear his parents' and brothers' debts too.

"Since we didn't have the resources when I was a child, I couldn't study. After a point, I took up a menial job which looks useless," he says. "With so much running on my mind, my blood froze with every question after Rs 12.5 lakh. On the last question I blanked out and used double dip, which is considered the most lethal lifeline. Now, I'll quit my job, study and help other kids' education."

Rahul Singh

Country flag
This is exactly "Uppar walal jab deta hai to chappar faar k deta hai". Not see the episode yet (scheduled for telecast on 2 nov) but can say for sure, getting all answers right is no small deal especially last one. Kudos to him.

sandeepdg

It is a great feat ! Wish, God also considers me the next time he is selecting a lucky candidate for "Uppar walal jab deta hai to chappar faar k deta hai" :)

RAW

it shows the potentiality of the so called backward biharis

SHASH2K2

well this statement of his shows his ignorance. Maybe he wanted to say bihar as a backward state but thats also past now. In terms of growth rate its among top states. Things will take time to change but state is is moving towards correct direction and with excellent pace. If he said biharis as backwards only reason that I see is thet in general we were late to adapt to English culture. so despite being brightest many will look biharis as illiterate because people cannot talk excellent English. But things are changing and new generation will beat the shit out of any English speaking gentleman from eastern part of India .

sandeepdg

Care to explain what exactly do you mean by that, mate ?? I am from the eastern part of India, West Bengal, if you don't know that.

sandeepdg

well this statement of his shows his ignorance. Maybe he wanted to say bihar as a backward state but thats also past now. In terms of growth rate its among top states. Things will take time to change but state is is moving towards correct direction and with excellent pace. If he said biharis as backwards only reason that I see is thet in general we were late to adapt to English culture. so despite being brightest many will look biharis as illiterate because people cannot talk excellent English. But things are changing and new generation will beat the shit out of any English speaking gentleman from eastern part of India .
What do you mean by that ?

RAW

you people took me wrong , i did'nt mean what you guys are thinking , i my self belongs to bihar & i am very much proud of that, in general its a media
fobia that bihar & biharis are backward , u people ignored my words like" potentiality "& " so called".

SHASH2K2

What do you mean by that ?
I didnt mean west bengal or any states here. RAW has his location set as eastern part of India and hence I mentioned east . Anyways he clarified to no point in stretching it needlessly.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
It's amazing that Sushil do not have TV of his own yet he reached to absolute TOP!

Rahul Singh

Country flag
If he said biharis as backwards only reason that I see is thet in general we were late to adapt to English culture. so despite being brightest many will look biharis as illiterate because people cannot talk excellent English.
What amuses me is in India a matriculation fail with good speaking english gets tag of well-educated and a sudh hindi speaking Graduate gets label of Anpadh-Gawar. More that often you would see two hindi speaking people having conversation in english just to show how educated they are.

Galaxy

Country flag
$1 million jackpot: Should Sushil Kumar rejoice or worry?

P V Subramanyam, On Tuesday 1 November 2011, 10:32 PM

Sushil Kumar from Bihar just won the Rs 5 crores jackpot (Rs. 50 Million) on the fifth season of Kaun Banega Crorepati. (For those who do not know KBC, this is the Indian version of Who wants to be a Millionaire)

Sushil Kumar will not receive the entire Rs. 5 crores, the tax department will eat up about one third of his jackpot leaving him with about Rs. 3.5 crores; that's still a sizeable amount.

Let us see how it can help Mr. Sushil Kumar - a post graduate in philosophy and an IAS aspirant - in his life. He is currently a school teacher earning a meager Rs. 6000 per month.

In an interview Sushil Kumar revealed that he has some obligations that need to met first before he invests the rest of his money
  • An elder brother who wants to set up his own business
  • A younger brother wanting to quit his 'piddly' Rs. 1500 per month job and also wants to start a new business.
  • His parents will want a nice big house - befitting the 'crorepati' son's status
  • Sushil Kumar himself plans to quit his job in order to concentrate on his IAS exam.
Sadly, along with a big amount of money God does not gift one with 'financial wisdom' - not even the wisdom of knowing that he needs unbiased financial advice. I can see a tomorrow and, therefore, find it difficult to rejoice in his success.
Why you ask?

Here's why

Even in his small village there will be a lot of people chasing him — "investment consultants" There will be greedy hands pulling from all sides:

Namely, LIC agents, mutual fund agents, bank managers, other life insurance companies, pension providers, brokerage houses and bankers.

It would be really interesting to track his life over the next 10 years on a year to year basis to see how much this money is scaring him, helping him, torturing him and helping him to meet his goals.

$1 million jackpot: Should Sushil Kumar rejoice or worry? - Yahoo! India Finance

A Very interesting article......
8)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles