Bihar CM explodes at rally after `hate' message

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Bihar CM explodes at rally after `hate' message

[​IMG]

A flimsy piece of paper has done what volleys of flying shoes and chappals, and the odd hail of stones couldn’t:it has made Nitish Kumar an angry man.
    So angry he is willing, out of character,to display it on the public stage.“You want to kill me, kill me,” he cried out in an unlikely dais outburst at a college ground in Supaul this morning, “I would prefer to die fighting for your rights than dying in bed.

I want to remind those who have set out to assault me physically,Iam not giving up this battle come what may. ” The truth is, it is not the apprehension of injury to his person on his “A dhikar Yatra” outing that has

stirred the rage in Nitish; it is the abrupt and anonymous imposition of insult.
    Passing a brimstone alley in Khagaria two days ago,Nitish Kumar’s armoured SUV took two hits from rocks the size of a palm. A third rock pummelled through the pane of a following car in which a senior officer sat. The cavalcade passed the pelting, but worse awaited it down the road.

One among a small clutch of protesters was able to dodge the bandobast cordon and slip a greasy pamphlet though the chief minister’s lowered car window.

It extolled a besmirched and discarded menagerie of Bihari leaders, including Pappu Yadav, currently serving a life term for murder.

It amused Nitish as he trawled the hyperbole that has long ceased to attach to those flagged for praise — mahaan (great), maha karmath (hugely devoted), adwitiya (incomparable), asaadhaaran (extraordinary). Then the smile died on his face.
    The eulogy ended with a cryptic epilogue on him: Nitish Kumar, ghrina ke prateek, it said, Figure of Hate.He hovered on the judgement a few moments and then passed it to water resources minister Vijay Chaudhary,seated at the back, with a sardonic recommendation: “Padh lijiye, dekhiye kya kah rahe hain hamare baare mein, Pappu Yadav mahaan karmath neta, aur hum (Read it, see what it says about me,Pappu Yadav is a great leader,and I)?” He chewed over the slur two days as he barnstormed the remote,a nd often floodravaged, Kosi plains with a call to rise and shake New Delhi into granting special status to Bihar.He raved and remonstrated from podium after podium about why Bihar should be deprived of what it deserved. But each time he re

paired into privacy, for lunch or for dinner or for post-prandial chats with colleagues on the trail, he resumed his indignations about what he hadn't deserved. “Hate figure? They called me a hate figure! By what measure?“ How could they say that of one of the country's most applauded chief ministers, and decidedly its most frequently awarded over the past decade? Did praise from such a venerated one as Amartya Sen matter nothing?
    What was the meaning of the landslide victory of 2010, a loud pro-incumbency endorsement? Hate figure? Nitish Kumar did not say it out but if there was an unspoken sense to his retort it was this: how dare they?
    At Supaul this morning, he finally spat out what he had been chewing on. “Shoes and stones and all kinds of insults are being thrown about, but why? Is that what you do in a democracy, maar-peet (violence)? And they are doing it against a man who has set out to get Bihar its legitimate rights. They will suffer the wrath of people, let me remind them.“
    Applause broke from the thousands gathered under a mammoth marquee.That was the moment Nitish vented his affronted sense like he never has: “Kill me,Iam ready to die, better to die fighting for Bihar than dying in bed….” More applause rippled.

Such a journey Nitish has not taken in a while.Over his years in power he has become used to being feted by fancrowds wherever he has gone — a chief minister who has made such an ethic of mass contact, his office is on camp location half the time,in districts away from Patna, such as this one.

But since the “A dhikar Yatra” began from Motihari on September 19, anger,spontaneous or inspired, has erupted on the fringes of his gatherings.Arashly flung shoe,a n outcrop of black flags, a flurry of pebbles.M uch of the demonstrating has been down to casual teachers — a burgeoned league of two lakh plus — demanding permanent government placement.

It is nothing the government can grant, but is nothing Nitish is shying away from. “Their delegations have met me,I am seized of their demands, such demands and protests

happen in a democracy,“ Nitish told The Telegraph during today's road run 400 kilometres northeast of Patna, “This is nothing to cry crisis over, we will deal with these demands as governments do.“
    What has left the chief minister rankled is the Khagaria protest whose arrowhead had neither signature to it nor ascribed purpose. “I do not understand this opposing for the sake of opposing,“ he said, “and opposing what? A campaign to get Bihar its rights?“ Nitish is not taking names or fixing blame yet. But his camp is. “It is clearly the work of Lalu (Prasad) and his cohorts,“ said a close political aide of Nitish's. “He has no programme, he is frustrated, physical and verbal violence is his desperate way of politicking. He is directing all this on the phone from Delhi.“

If the frequent outbreak of trouble during the “Adhikar Yatra“ has ruffled the chief minister's party, it has put the administration on edge. It is nervous to a degree that it is imagining trouble where none exists. An excited elder, running to catch a glimpse of Nitish Kumar in Araria, broken chappals in hand, was prevented just because his footwear was not where it should have been. No amount of prayer on his part got him through. Cordons around meeting venues have become iron-cast, police and plainclothesmen are the only ones with access to peripheries around the stage.They have orders to follow and each behaves as if his job is on the line.

We swept due north and east across the Kosi plains from Supaul to Araria and finally Kishanganj, the chicken’s neck township at the junction of Nepal and Bengal with Bangladesh just a twist in the map away.T he land’s lush with paddy courtesy a late but vigorous monsoon, and all along the chief minister's route we saw local traffic stalled at roadheads and villagers herded behind barriers.

“Can’t take chances after what has been happening,” a divisional head of police said, “If the CM can’t move securely, who can?” But concerns for his safety are not what has left Nitish angry,it is that pamphlet slap on his dignity.No cordons are going to block a floating piece of paper.

Paper cuts Nitish deep

Poor man.

Wnats to do good for the much maligned Bihar and chaps are showing their love for the ways of the past!

The Messiah likes this.
  3. panduranghari

panduranghari Senior Member Senior Member

Imposition of an alien concept which you call democracy is surely a reason why people pelt stones. Decisions made in Patna which is 400 miles from this village affect these villagers more than the politicians. If Nalanda could become the greatest university the world has ever seen, surely these people are can achieve a lot more if given the right to do things their way*

*within limits

4. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Bihar (and UP) have developed a deeply entrenched culture of indiscipline and lawlessness that will take decades to remove. This seems to the old goondas trying to make their presence felt. Nitish Kumar is very popular in his state from what we read so this must be an aberration.

maomao likes this.
  5. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Of course it is one of the Yadav henchmen. Nitish Kumar should not take it to heart. The goondas in UP and Bihar will keep doing such things to maintain status quo.

6. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I am pretty confident, the miscreants were illiterate. Nitish Kumar is doing good work, he shouldn't let such provocations affect him. As per a survey he is expected to sweep the Lok Sabha elections by a margin bigger than the local assembly elections.

7. Bachchu Yadav

Bachchu Yadav Regular Member

Thank god! One yadav (Ranvir Yadav) has saved the life of CM !

Otherwise it would have been ram naam satya of Nitish Kumar.

Lolz..

8. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

This is so obviously a case of political racketeering. That Nitish should lose his cool over a piece of paper dropped by a goon of the Pappu Yadav & Co. kind tho, is interesting. He didn't lose his cool over the stone pelting or over the jeering and mocking at his cavalcade, he lost it over words extolling his opponents and flaying his rule, which to him seemed unwarranted. This would seem to be a typical 'outstanding incident', the kind that is juxtaposable for an analysis of his personality and useful to remember in his future decision making. It would seem to place him somewhere along the INFJ personality types. Where his primary model is intuitive, of focusing on things internally which would explain his kind of reaction in this 'instinct evoking encounter'. His secondary mode is external, where he deals with things according to his value system, which would explain his membership of the BJP party. His personality type is typically gentle, caring, complex and sensitive placing high value in having things orderly and systematic in their outer world. They put a tremendous amount of faith in their instincts and intuition and know things quite instinctually, without being able to pinpoint why and are usually right about it. That is why you may see some signs of disarray in an otherwise orderly tendency, such as a consistently messy desk or in this case an outburtst of spontaneous reaction, in what is otherwise a cool calm demeanour. He'd make a great leader, if you ask me.

My two cents of gyan on the subject.

And yeh, I got all of this from that one-off incident.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Don't take the "Yadav" thing so personally. I was obviously referring to Laloo Yadav and gang.

10. Bachchu Yadav

From Ranvir Sena to Ranvir Yadav: Nitish’s Yatra to disrepute

Patna: For Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, the name Ranvir brings bad news and disrepute. Yet the tragedy is that he does not realise it. So be it the action of rampaging Ranvir Sena men on June 1-2 or Janata Dal (United) leader Ranvir Yadav’s brazen display of gun-power in Khagaria on September 27, he approved both the misdeeds, without ever bothering to examine its ramifications.

First on June 1 morning when Ranvir Sena chief, Brahmeshwar Singh, alias Mukhiyaji, was killed in Ara, a large scale violence occurred in the town. On second day, all hell broke loose as thousands of supporters of Ranvir Sena marched to Patna with the body. They targeted the government and private property as well as vehicles all throughout the highway. In Patna a large part of the city was taken to ransom. The Ranvir Sena men attacked BJP and Janata Dal (United) leaders and blamed the Nitish Kumar government for the killing. The rioters held the controversial Janata Dal (United) MLA, Sunil Pandey, responsible for the killing of the Ranvir Sena chief. Incidentally, the MLA too was formerly close to Ranvir Sena and also belonged to the same landed upper caste, that is, Bhumihar.

When all these were going on in Ara and Patna the Bihar Chief Minister was undertaking another type of Yatra in the eastern district of Bhagalpur. He did not deem it fit to even return to Patna to calm the people. Instead an instruction was issued to civil and police administration not to open fire or use force on the Ranvir Sena men, even though they wreaked havoc on the common men and women on the streets of Patna and ransacked shops and kiosks.

As the police action would have been a politically wrong move no crackdown was ordered and no one arrested even later.

Four months later, another Ranvir came to haunt Bihar. This time, a dreaded former Independent MLA and a Janata Dal (United) leader, Ranvir Yadav. The fast track court of the state government virtually stopped before him as nobody ever dared to harm him in this new government.

He got his wife, Poonam Devi, elected to the Bihar Assembly on the Janata Dal (United) ticket from Khagaria, where Nitish came to address a public meeting during his Adhikar Yatra on September 27(Thursday). The Yatra is a part of his campaign to apply pressure on the Centre to grant special status category to Bihar. The Janata Dal (United) is planning to hold a big rally in Patna in this regard on November 4. Ironically, Nitish, as the Union minister in the Atal Bihar Vajpayee cabinet, opposed the special status category to Bihar when the same demand was raised by then Rabri Devi government in 2000 after Jharkhand was carved out from the state.

When on September 27 the Nitish’s Yatra reached Khagaria, a large mob gherored him and threw chappals and eggs on him. In fact, they demanded the special status category for their district, which they said is being ignored by the state government. Besides, there was resentment over the rampant corruption and loot in the state government machinery. Many of those who protested were the para-teachers who demanded timely payment of salary, and implementation of pay-scale for them.

It is upon this that Ranvir Yadav swung into action and displayed his old skill. For Ranvir, such exhibition of power is not new. What came as a surprise for millions of people all over the state as well as the country is the way Nitish, after reaching the venue, publicly complimented Ranvir Yadav and his wife Poonam Devi for helping him reach the stage and making the public meeting possible.

What he said from the dais was duly highlighted by several television channels across the country. People saw and heard how a brazenly illegal act––display of firearms––was being justified by the chief minister.

No case was lodged against Ranvir Yadav, against whom a number of cases had already been lodged in the distant past.

The incident raised a very pertinent question: Is it that for good governance it is essential for political executive to flex muscle and police and civil administration take a back seat to maintain law and order?

Khagaria was not the only place where Nitish faced hostile reception. He was greeted with stones and chappals wherever he went during the recent Yatra. The Khagaria episode will only inspire other Ranvirs to rise to occasion and take law into the hand.

From Ranvir Sena to Ranvir Yadav: Nitish’s Yatra to disrepute - daily.bhaskar.com

11. Bachchu Yadav

Be particular , when you write name of a caste !

12. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

if think CM Mr Nitish kumar is doing mistake by asking for special status for bihar . if he can improve governance and developed bihar without central assistance then it would help him more then always asking for special status . because at one point of time people would get bored of this special status demand .

and those who are carrying out such steps surelly beolongs to oppostion as they feared what wouls happen to their status if and when JD(u) ditches BJP and join congress

13. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Not signs of a mature stateman. This makes him unfit to be PM. A hot and short tempered man cannot be my PM>

Modi has faced bigger challenges, and has never lost his temper in public.

14. niharjhatn

niharjhatn Regular Member

I don't think your first sentence is quite right - there are certain sections of indiscipline and lawlessness that has festered since late British times, and that continued with criminal politicians in league with organized crime. Divisions trumped up, particularly between hindu and muslim has been festering and encouraged by British divide-and-rule policies and exacerbated by formation and clashing between different religiously aligned criminal organisations. Given this continual history of oppression, it is hard for the average Bihari to easily accept oversight. Both BJP and congress are either championed fervently or derided for being goondahs. It is difficult to see a middle ground. People gravitate towards either saying "follow this party, because if you don't, you are a complete fool because he will fix roads and give food and champion your religion and if you don't criminals/muslims/hindus will take over the state" or "all the politicians are corrupt and I see no way for our state improving".

Somewhat disappointing he has lost his cool over something so stupid - I am certain he has faced worse. It gives you an idea of the problems we in Bihar are often facing. The smarter people leave these problems behind and move somewhere else, because it gives me a headache trying to solve such a range of deeply entrenched issues including casteism, womens rights, policing (and police corruption/brutality), taxation...

But yes, I feel the general consensus is that Nitish is here to change everything. He has certainly made a believer out of me.

devgupt likes this.
  15. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Not signs of a matured statesman. He is unfit to be PM>

Modi faced bigger challenges, all concocted by sickulars, yet he never lost hois temper in public.

16. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Dont know if I agree with you, i.e. to blame the British. Biharis are known to be intelligent and hard working, however the kind of leaders that have been there in the recent past have taken the state backwards, esp the Lallu-Rabri era. Even during the 60's Bihar was considered a well administered state. Similar is the case with UP. WB seems to be joining this category recently, thanks to 3 decades of thuggery by Communists. Just imagine 4-5 decades ago there were just 2-3 engg colleges in Madras state and students used to flock to Banaras Hindu University. Since those days other states have moved forward but UP-Bihar have stayed more or less static.

Having said that, I do believe Nitish Kumar is a good CM and that Bihar has a positive aura thanks to good administration under Nitish ji. It will take time however for Bihar to catch up with other states. Law and order, education, literacy, all have to be taken care of before the state takes off.

17. niharjhatn

Modi never governed in Bihar. I agree he is the top man for what he has done in Gujarat, but comparing Gujurat's problems to Bihar's is like Raavana thinking he can move the tail of Vali :D

devgupt likes this.
  18. niharjhatn

I am not blaming the British - but problems with administration began long before Lallu's time.

There was a reason he managed to get into power after all.

19. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Bihar was actually screwed up by Thakurs and Bhumihars.Laloo continued status quo.Nitish is trying to clean the septic tank.He is facing a shortage of resourced ,money and proper manpower.Bihar is not for the faint hearted

Bachchu Yadav likes this.
  20. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

Gujarat is child's play when compared to Bihar. Gujaratis are naturally mercantile, industrious, family oriented and peace loving. Biharis are naturally visceral, prurient, clan-oriented and violent. The mode of conflict resolution in Gujarat is typically pecuniary, in Bihar the most preferred mode of conflict resolution is violence. In Gujarat, the challenges facing Modi are typically administrative, ideological and second-order; in Bihar, the challenges that Nitish has faced and encountered and even surmounted are first-order: establishing the writ of the state in large swathes of lawlessness, building basic administrative capabilities and dealing with corruption, violence and nepotism.

I don't doubt, that what Nitish has done with Bihar today few others could do.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  21. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

Public memory is short. Is it so short that it forgets that Gujarat has had a very violent communal history before Modi? Modi ruled that violent state and restored peace and sanity and ushered in developement.

Modi ushered in power distribution reforms, and consequently it sells electriciity. Why not in Bihar? Why not revolution in road construction in Bihar?

Lastly, a CM, and an aspiring PM cannot afford to be so insensitive like Nitish.