"Bharat" how did our country get this name!

panduranghari

You are applying wrong standards, our land was given the name "Bharat" because of glorious past of our civilisation i.e. civilisation and culture of Bharat (Bhartiya Sabhyta & Bharatiya Sanskriti) and not because of Muslims or British. You can't judge the greatness of a civilisation or culture by the territories of its land alone. Cultures and civilisations are judged by their contributions and development in the field of Arts, Science, Finance, Military powers, Education, Agriculture, their Continuity etc. and in all those Bharatiya civilisation is one of the best.The spread of Bharatiya civilisation was from Afghanistan to Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia etc.

Using the name "Bharat" wont create any bad effect, in fact in a due course of time it will give a very lovely and pleasant experience. You see Bombay was renamed to Mumbai as people believed that "Bombay" was a corrupted English version of "Mumbai" and an unwanted legacy of British colonial rule. Today people love to call it Mumbai as Bombay appears clumsy now, people now don't use the name Bombay, it's all about habits. Burma was renamed to Myanmar, and now people call it Myanmar.
My patients( many retired civil servants and army guys from colonial era) fondly recall their life in Colonial India and specifically Bombay. Even these oldies use the correct name- Mumbai- unlike many who live in Mumbai who call it Bombay because they think they are too posh.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
The name 'India' was adopted by Nehru and the INC to demonstrate to the world that we were the successors of the British India, which extended from Pakistan to Burma. It was quite the geopolitical statement, and as you can imagine Jinnah wasn't very happy about it.

But I would still prefer the name 'Aryavarta'. :sad:

balai_c

My patients( many retired civil servants and army guys from colonial era) fondly recall their life in Colonial India and specifically Bombay. Even these oldies use the correct name- Mumbai- unlike many who live in Mumbai who call it Bombay because they think they are too posh.
In my belief, it is called Stockholm syndrome, where a victim abused develops a sort of bond with the abuser.

panduranghari

In my belief, it is called Stockholm syndrome, where a victim abused develops a sort of bond with the abuser.
You could be very correct. But I cannot prove that so I will just leave the posh people to it.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Oh God .. so they were not biological sons of Pandu? But they're still called his sons. Good that I learned the truth. Is is mentioned clearly in any Parva ?
Viru, I am surprised you did not know this....I think even Ramanand Sagar's version and the Amar chitra Katha comics say that....

p.s.: I feel the kids of current generation are at a terrible loss growing up on play stations and Macs and not on Ramanand Sagar and Amar Chitra Katha. :(

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Yeah I'm on the wrong side this time :( I kept content with the simplistic notion of Kauravas from Dhritarashtra and Pandavas from Pandu.
I knew Karn wasn't the biological son of Pandu and Kunti had to discard him. But I had never thought that others also were born the same way. Basically I didn't know about the curse thing... :sucide:

Last edited:

pmaitra

Viru, I am surprised you did not know this....I think even Ramanand Sagar's version and the Amar chitra Katha comics say that....

p.s.: I feel the kids of current generation are at a terrible loss growing up on play stations and Macs and not on Ramanand Sagar and Amar Chitra Katha. :(
Really? Ramanand Sagar? We have better books on Ramayana and Mahabharata by Chavkravarty Rajagopalachari. His account is far more accurate than Ramanand Sagar. Personally, that is the book I would recommend everyone, especially those who have a full time job and less time to read our epics in the full form.

johnee

Yeah I'm on the wrong side this time :( I kept content with the simplistic notion of Kauravas from Dhritarashtra and Pandavas from Pandu.
I knew Karn wasn't the biological son of Pandu and Kunti had to discard him. But I had never thought that others also were born the same way. Basically I didn't know about the curse thing... :sucide:
I think most serials and movies do convey that Pandavas were born with the blessings of Gods because of Pandu's curse.

Even Dhritarashtra and Pandu are not the sons of Vichitravirya (son of Shantanu and youngest brother of Bhishma). They are born by the blessings of Vyasa. Before that, Satyavati(mother of Vichitravirya) asks Bhishma to marry and rule the kingdom. But, Bhishma declines because of his vow. So, Vyasa Muni is requested to bless the wives of Vichitravirya with progeny. So, as a result, Ambika delivers Dhritarashtra and Ambalika delivers Pandu. Maid of Ambika delivers Vidura.

Vyasa Bhagavan himself is the son of Satyavati and Parashara Maharshi. Vyasa Bhagavan was conceived before the marriage of Satyavati with Shantanu.

Bhishma relates a story of how once upon a time entire royal men were wiped out by Parashurama(son of Jamadagni Maharshi). Royalty faced extinction. So, the royal queens approached great munis and brahmanas to acquire progeny. In that manner, royal clans were rejuvenated.

So, it was an established rule(followed during the times of crisis) and by that Pandavas are the sons of Pandu. Pandu, himself, acquired the progeny because he needed sons to be eligible for entry to Brahma Loka.

I am told that this practice of acquiring progeny is prohibited in Kali Yuga. In earlier Yugas, the men who were approached for progeny were extra-ordinarily self-controlled.

Infact, births of many great personalities in Puranas and Itihaasas is peculiar.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Really? Ramanand Sagar? We have better books on Ramayana and Mahabharata by Chavkravarty Rajagopalachari. His account is far more accurate than Ramanand Sagar. Personally, that is the book I would recommend everyone, especially those who have a full time job and less time to read our epis in the full form.
Ramanand Sagar of TV serial fame.
There is more chance that somebody saw that and got to know Mahabaratha than reading Sir CR's.

solbear

We should name ourselves Aryavarta to evoke the ancient superiority of the Aryas.

Down with all the mlecchas!

Aryavarta Sieg Heil!
That would be inaccurate as Aryavarta refers simply to the northern half of the Sub-Continent.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
That would be inaccurate as Aryavarta refers simply to the northern half of the Sub-Continent.
Precise definitions change depending on circumstance.

The name 'Hindustan', for example, historically refers only to the Gangetic plain, but today it refers to the whole of the Republic of India and sometimes even the whole subcontinent. The meaning has changed as the political situation in the subcontinent has changed.

pmaitra

One question: If we break Aryavarta, we get Arya + Varta.

We know what Arya means. What is Varta?

solbear

Precise definitions change depending on circumstance.

The name 'Hindustan', for example, historically refers only to the Gangetic plain, but today it refers to the whole of the Republic of India and sometimes even the whole subcontinent. The meaning has changed as the political situation in the subcontinent has changed.
True. However, Aryavarta could be seen as better defined than Hindustan. Plus, Aryavarta might be seen as excluding people of the North-East and the Dravidians.

mayfair

Isn't Bharat one of the official names of India? We see it everywhere

Bharat GaNarajya (passports and other documents)

Not to mention

Bharat Sena
Bharatiya VayuSena
Bharatiya NauSena
Bharatiya Rail
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Bharat would not be the complete name though. Bharata simply is the name of the illustrious King by whom the nation's name is derived.
Bharatavarsha is the compelte name where varsha means a part of the land. Bharatavarsha being Bharata's part of the land.

Regards,
Virendra

vikaskumar11233

Tihar Jail
Banned
Very nice post.The topic which you started really shows that we are blindly following our predecessors Britishers who destroyed our culture,looted us and our values.Still they have our wealth and e can't do anything against the.We are still living the life according to those western people who don't have any history and culture.
Our children are listening hip hop songs,dancing on their ear bursting tunes,eating Pizzas and burgers,drinking coke and thinking they are becoming advanced.This is the tyranny of our nation.We have to change this scenario because they are our future.Our study books still have shade of the Britishers culture.Our education board should do something for it.This question of Why we call our country India has come in cbse previous year question papers and we write that this is given to us by Britishers.We have forgotten our glorious past.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles