Bhagvad Gita faces legal ban in Russia

agentperry

I'm also taking about the same time. RG era was pre 91 cold war era.
there are lots of marriages between Indians and russians every year. earlier couple used to stay back in russia but now they prefer India. post cold war russia was nothing until now in mid-2000 when they got some consciousness and started analyzing their surroundings like a drunkman back to senses

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
PS:Btw were you testing everyone?:stirpot: How old are you mate?
;)

Actually the ISKCON translation is a Abrahamic version of the Gita. The Orthodox Church would have seen it as a rival and hence the ban

OT I'm early 20's

Zebra

Country flag
Actually, on reading the article it seems only a particular interpretation of the Gita has been banned i.e the ISKCON one.

ISKCON translation contains a lot of propaganda in the form of commentary (IMO)
:confused:

post #3 :

1) Jehovah's Witness websites
2)Russian translation of a key book for Hare Krishna devotees – the Bhagavad-Gita
3)Turkish Muslim theologian Said Nursi,

They all are facing "extremism" charges .

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
OT
Well that is just my opinion. That guy inserts a ton of his own 'ideas' into the interpretation. IMHO good interpretations of the Gita are the ones by Aurobindo or Vivekananda. If you want a pure translation (without interpretation done for you) the Gorakhpur Press version is best, also it's free !

Zebra

Country flag
OT

Well that is just my opinion. That guy inserts a ton of his own 'ideas' into the interpretation. IMHO good interpretations of the Gita are the ones by Aurobindo or Vivekananda. If you want a pure translation (without interpretation done for you) the Gorakhpur Press version is best, !
Thank you for the gitapress link .

I am interested in ISKCON's a lots of propaganda . :D

Rahul92

Do they have any supreme court so we can re appeal if case goes on other way

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
sighh...there was a time when Indian delegation was met by saree clad russian ladies and use of tulsi was more popular in russia than India that too when atmosphere dont favor tulsi in russia.

since years they acted against the hindu faith destroying iskon temples and now finally banning bhagwad gita
It is because a lot of Russians (some estimates around 8%) have chosen Dharmic paths. There are quite a handful of Buddhist Russians in Siberian far east, while many Muscovites are mainstream Hindus. And not just ISKCON, but also plain and more devout Hindus than what we see here in India. I personally know a couple of them who are ardent Shaivites (which I too was surprised) and chant the sanskrit verses with better fluency than many Indians could ever think.

Russian Orthodox Church is simply shyte scared of "falling Church attendance" as a lot of Russians are turning to meditation, yoga, dhyana, both of our Buddhist and mainstream Hindu philosophies.

Church and Mosque share one thing common: Both of them worry for quantity all the time. Because they see that how many people can be under their organized and dogmatic beliefs rather than spiritually becoming liberated.

This is the simple, bitter truth that caused the court to consider a ban on Bhagwad Gita.

Oppression of ISKCONites in Kazakhstan, shutting down Buddhist monasteries in the same, refusing to allow Buddhist scholars into Russia, shutting down the main Moscow temple...... it all fits.

You might also want to look at East European nations like Poland, where mainstream Hinduism and Buddhism are gaining big prominence. So much so that a nun actually wanted Polish government to ban Hindu temples!

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Actually, on reading the article it seems only a particular interpretation of the Gita has been banned i.e the ISKCON one.

ISKCON translation contains a lot of propaganda in the form of commentary (IMO)
ISKCON propaganda ! why ?

Srila Prabhupada belongs to the Gaudiya Vaishnav sect. They diverge from other sects, in that they believe Krishna to be the God.
And Krishna the Avatar to be the most "supreme personality" of "Godhead". They also believe that the path of Bhakti is supreme.
They also have a lot of reverence for Bhagawad Purana.

Nothing wrong with what they are saying, if you believe in Hinduism.

Zebra

Country flag
It is because a lot of Russians (some estimates around 8%) have chosen Dharmic paths. There are quite a handful of Buddhist Russians in Siberian far east, while many Muscovites are mainstream Hindus. And not just ISKCON, but also plain and more devout Hindus than what we see here in India. I personally know a couple of them who are ardent Shaivites (which I too was surprised) and chant the sanskrit verses with better fluency than many Indians could ever think.

Russian Orthodox Church is simply shyte scared of "falling Church attendance" as a lot of Russians are turning to meditation, yoga, dhyana, both of our Buddhist and mainstream Hindu philosophies.

Church and Mosque share one thing common: Both of them worry for quantity all the time. Because they see that how many people can be under their organized and dogmatic beliefs rather than spiritually becoming liberated.

This is the simple, bitter truth that caused the court to consider a ban on Bhagwad Gita.

Oppression of ISKCONites in Kazakhstan, shutting down Buddhist monasteries in the same, refusing to allow Buddhist scholars into Russia, shutting down the main Moscow temple...... it all fits.

You might also want to look at East European nations like Poland, where mainstream Hinduism and Buddhism are gaining big prominence. So much so that a nun actually wanted Polish government to ban Hindu temples!

A lot of stories we can get from this link , stories of Polish and Russian devotees .....

travelingmonk.com | Diaries

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
ISKCON propaganda ! why ?

Srila Prabhupada belongs to the Gaudiya Vaishnav sect. They diverge from other sects, in that they believe Krishna to be the God.
And Krishna the Avatar to be the most "supreme personality" of "Godhead". They also believe that the path of Bhakti is supreme.
They also have a lot of reverence for Bhagawad Purana.

Nothing wrong with what they are saying, if you believe in Hinduism.
Well one issue I have after having read the ISKCON-Gita...there is a verse and there is a translation, but then there is a further "interpretation" paragraph which has stuff completely unrelated (and may times contradictory) to the translation !

Also, I don't like the fact that the guy in the beginning says that "all other interpretations of Gita are un-true, only my work is correct since I'm descended from so and so sage."

Vyom

Seeker
Also, I don't like the fact that the guy in the beginning says that "all other interpretations of Gita are un-true, only my work is correct since I'm descended from so and so sage."
I have the book right now with me and I do not see any such inference. I think you have misunderstood a few phrases.

johnee

Yep, quantity is extremely important to them and quality is secondary consideration. They derive their legitimacy from quantity. The more the quantity the more legitimate. As long as they did not have quantity, they did not have much legitimacy. So, they resorted to fraud and force to gain quantity.The more their quantity of flock is threatened, the more their inherent intolerance gets exposed.

johnee

BTW, if BG is being banned, why is there no protest from GOI? The much taunted secularism that this GOI swears by is being violated by Russia. Then, atleast the GOI must show some spine and stand up to what it claims to adhere to. I am not saying the Russia will take GOI's protests seriously. But, atleast the protest should be voiced, no?

Imagine the reaction of Russia and West, if India bans New Testament. I know that India has many christians. That is not the point is. The point I am trying to drive is that these nations would not have been quite and would have voiced their protests very loudly from the rooftops. Then, why is GOI shying away from voicing a protest?

Does GOI not condemn Russia's violation of secular spirit?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I think India didn't protest when Burkha (Veils) were being banned in France, not sure about the Ban on Turban.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I have the book right now with me and I do not see any such inference. I think you have misunderstood a few phrases.

It's pretty obvious the way he calls the book "As it is", anyways I'll quote actual text (I have the book open too)

-----

He tells people to accept Gita without interpretation, fair enough. But is the authority ? It's seems its the guy who's received it via "disciplic succession"

We have to receive this knowledge by the proper parampara (disciplic succession). We must accept Bhagavad Gita without interpretation, without deletion and without our own whimsical participation in the matter.
---------

So what is this "disciplic succession" ? It's defined in the chapter The Disciplic Succession

Disciplic Succession is a chain of disciples,from Krishna->Narad->Bhrama->Vyas........ ---->[author of the book]
Right....so he's received knowledge from an unbroken chain of people starting from Krishna to Narad to Bhrama...

------
Now that part is clear, and apparently now he's the original and authoritative source on account of being in "disciplic succession", he gives us this gem
A Krishna conscious person should not be bewildered by fools; he should avoid all unauthorized commentaries and interpretations on Bhagavad-gita and proceed in Krishna consciousness with determination and firmness.

Last edited:

Nagraj

Off topic
is there any atheist translation of gita???

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles