Best Buy brand shuts up shop in China and Turkey

Discussion in 'China' started by amoy, Mar 4, 2011.

1. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

FT.com

By Jonathan Birchall, Patti Waldmeir, Delphine Strauss in New York, in Shanghai, in Ankara

3. kickok1975

kickok1975 Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

It's hard for Bestbuy to compete with Sulin and Gome.

4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Carrefour is still operating in China?

5. kickok1975

kickok1975 Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Yes, but reputation is not good and just a manner of time before they close door.

6. redragon

redragon Regular Member

those foreign retailer/wholesalers and some service provider like google and yahoo are repeating what they have been through in Korean and Japan. In the future, hopefully we can see businesses with marks of eastern asian coulture can spread their impact outside of eastern asia

7. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

(Almost) gone were the days mom-n-pop stores thriving

Quite a few Carrefour in my home city but their reputation was severely damaged recently (in PR crisis)

8. RebateKing

RebateKing Regular Member

Hm, but I read Apple is doing phenomenally well with its retail operation in China, and is opening more stores.

9. Ray

On what basis was the price 14.80 yuan and on what parameters was it calculated that the actual price should have been 7.4 yuan?

If these can be amplified, then one could understand the mechanics of the fraudulent system of pricing.

10. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

Where did you get the idea it is not?

11. Ray

I did not get that idea.

Remember the Olympics where China went after Carrefour because it could not take France head on?

So, a company is threatened because China cannot do a sausage to the country!

That was the genesis of the question of mine.

It was not addressed to you and if you had something to contribute, it would be welcomed. As it stands, your one liner is quite out of context.

If you had anything substantial, you would have then stated.

Right now, your out of context and disconnected one liner with nothing substantial to clarify/ amplify appears to a pathetic attempt to either flamebait or downright trolling!

As a Moderator, I would state that it is requested that you may like to contribute fruitfully to the discussion rather than waste bandwidth!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  12. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

Well, do forgive me if offended you.

First, let me explain my question in the previous post. When you asked the question "Carrefour is still operating in China?", you used the word "still" in your sentence. I think I have interpreted it correctly by assuming that you asked theat question because you believed Carrefour is not operating in China. Of course I may be wrong if I didn't learn the usage of the word "still" correctly.

Second, during the Olympic, some Chinese did protest Carrefour, but that doesn't mean China went after Carrefour. There was not official move to stop Carrefour from doing business in China. In fact, Chinese authority deployed police to the protest site to maitain the order in case that the situation got out of control and Carrefour got smashed by angry protesters. It was a purely spontaneous protest by common Chinese people after they read about what happened in Paris during the torch relay. And more importantly, people chose to protest Carrefour because they think it was a symbol of France and they wanted their voice to be heard by France, not because they wanted to prevent Carrefour from doing business in China.

As a Chinese, I urge you to get information about China rightly. Otherwise, such unhappy episode will keep on happenning before I get banned.

13. Ray

I don't get offended so quickly.

That is why I continue to debate even if some people are quite obtuse.

If you take that thread on the question of the Southern Han and their ethnicity. There were moments of horrifying obtuseness including a poster calling me a liar (there was no reason to do so, since I was posting links to my posts and if anyone was a liar, it were the scholars, including Chinese scholars, and hence calling me a liar was uncalled for), and yet, I continued debating, though I requested him to not call me a liar. I think, that thread was most educative and I learnt a lot from the Chinese posters including their psyche. So, I engage in debate to learn and not to troll or be abusive or take anyone as one from an enemy country.

It was said during the Olympics that Carrefour would be shut down.

I was not aware of the latest and so I asked if Carrefour was still functioning.

As an Indian, I ask you to correct errors in our perceptions with links.

We do not take every single media news ( western or otherwise) at its face value. Therefore, contributions by the Chinese are worth our while, but with links and not fevered anger or imagination.

Lastly, this is possibly the only Forum in the world that does not BAN. If we feel that someone has flown over the cuckoo's nest, we moderate their posts.

We are thus more democratic than democracy itself! :>