Bengal Past, Present and Future

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by nandu, Jun 2, 2010.

1. nandu

nandu Senior Member Senior Member

Trinamool Congress storms to power in KMC elections

In Sunday’s election to a total of 81 civic bodies across 16 districts in West Bengal, TC also tasted success in the districts. The Left Front which was in power in KMC with 75 wards has managed to win in only 29 wards.

Riding the winds of political change, Mamata Banerjee’s Trinamool Congress today won the 141-ward city municipal corporation polls, inflicting a crushing blow to the ruling Left Front in the civic elections, dubbed as a semi-final before next year’s Assembly polls.

In Sunday’s election to a total of 81 civic bodies across 16 districts in West Bengal, TC also tasted success in the districts where it alone bagged 20 of 43 municipalities, the results for which were available till noon.

The party bagged another eight civic bodies where it had local-level seat adjustment with the Congress.

The Left Front registered wins in 12 municipalities while Congress lagged behind winning only in three.

The Trinamool Congress, which had already won two-thirds majority in the 141-member KMC, will not need the support of the Congress to rule Kolkata where her party has already captured 94 of the 135 wards the results of which were available.

The Left Front which was in power in KMC with 75 wards has managed to win in only 29 wards.

The Congress has so far got nine and the BJP three seats.

In the 2005 KMC polls, Left parties had won 75 seats, TC 42, Congress 21 and BJP three.

Congratulating Ms. Banerjee on her party’s performance, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, who is also the West Bengal Congress chief, said he accepted the people’s verdict.

Mr. Mukherjee, speaking to reporters in New Delhi, said till the final results were out, it would be difficult for him to assess the “net loss or net gain” of the Congress, but said his party had lost some and gained some municipalities out of the 14 it held earlier.

“First of all, I would like to congratulate Mamata Banerjee for her excellent performance both in Kolkata and also in the districts. I accept the failure of the Congress to perform up to the expectations which we had. I accept the verdict of the people with all humility,” Mr. Mukherjee said.

Elated over Trinamool’s success, Banerjee demanded immediate Assembly elections, saying Left Front major CPI(M) has lost all rights to continue in power.

Terming her party’s success as “historic”, she told reporters after arriving from Delhi, “It is a victory of the ma—mati—manush (mother, land and the people). They have given a verdict in favour of political change in the state. I salute the people.”

In an obvious reference to her party’s failed alliance with Congress for the KMC polls, Ms. Banerjee said, “In this election, we had to fight against the ruling party and three to four other forces.”

The Trinamool Congress has not only dislodged the CPI(M) from power in the KMC, in the adjoining Salt Lake (Bidhannagar) municipality the erosion of the Left’s support base was more pronounced with Ms. Banerjee’s party bagging 16 of the total 25 wards. Left Front got a poor nine.

In the 2005 election when the municipality had 23 wards, the Left Front had won in 18 and Trinamool in five.

The CPI(M) was almost decimated in the red belts of the North 24—Paraganas district, where there are 21 municipalities, and in Hooghly district where there are 12.

In North 24—Paraganas district, results of 16 municipalities have been declared of which Trinamool captured 12. Left Front secured only three and Congress one.

In Hooghly district, Trinamool routed the Left Front in 11 of the 12 municipalities including the Chandannagore Municipal Corporation.

For the ruling Left Front, which was in power in 55 out of the 81 municipalities, it was an opportunity to recover lost ground after the string of electoral defeats it suffered since the 2008 panchayat polls and last year’s Lok Sabha election.

The polls were very much a prestige fight between Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee and state Congress president Pranab Mukherjee who failed to clinch a seat—sharing deal.

The 141—ward KMC election had generated much bitterness between the two allies with barbs flying thick and fast between the two leaders.

The major losers in Kolkata included the deputy mayor of the KMC Left Front’s Kalyan Mukherjee, mayor—in—council members Abu Sufian and Faiz Ahmed Khan.

Trinamool Congress leader and leader of Opposition Javed Khan and Congress leader Pradip Ghosh lost in the KMC elections. Ghosh was among some partymen who had launched a hunger strike for seat adjustment with Trinamool on ’honourable terms’

Trinamool’s new face Rukbanur Rahman, brother of the computer graphic teacher Rizwanur Rahman, who had died under mysterious circumstances, lost in the KMC election.

http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/article444357.ece?homepage=true

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2010
  3. SHASH2K2

SHASH2K2 New Member

Its a good news that these pro chinese leftists are on verge of a route in next election.

4. tarunraju

tarunraju Moderator Moderator

A change from "pro-China" leftists to pro-Maoist TMC. Pick your poison.

5. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

The wave may be for the TMC, but what i have gathered from those in the know is that she lacks a good team to govern particularly talking at the assembly level which the TMC in all likely hood will win. Mamta doesnt have a good team of advisors. What plan she has for Bengal and how to take it out of the rut? supporting the Maoists is certainly not one of them. Her agitation against Nano will certainly not help her in seeking investors. Bengal is stuck in between the devil and the deep sea. The Left ruined it. The years it dominated made sure that there is no good opposition. now that the people want a change, the opposition is not good enough to rule. Tough days ahead for Bengal as the Marxists wont go down without a fight and in the literal sense. We can expect them to get more violent once TMC rules the state and create a law and order mess.

samarsingh and ahmedsid like this.
  6. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

bengal is a story of "between the devil and deep blue sea"!

its disaster both sides, as much one is happy to see the beginning of the end of communists in bengal it is sad to see the rise of another disaster. one can foresee bengal still struggling to get going some industries even a decade from now, after ages a good CM had come to govern this state but alas.

i had never in my wildest dreams thought i would ever support a communist let alone a complete communist dominated government and i just hope (though its a case of hope against hope) better sense prevails on part of congress and the voters of bengal and they dont make a disaster of a decision of backing the tmc during the state elections which still has some time to it.

7. ajtr

ajtr Veteran Member Veteran Member

both sides Communist parties and TMC are closet maoist supporters.

8. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

Pranabda and Sitaramji met today after the election results, with a flurry of reports saying the Commies will support UPA against Mamataji. Well both camps have denied it, but let me tell you, the UPA is much better off with commie support than Mamata Support. I am sure before the Elections in Bengal, Mamataji will be ousted from the UPA, the Commies will support provided the Congress plays ball in Bengal.

Its a tricky situation, if the congress and commies play well, TMC can stay out of the Bengal Assembly. I hate to see Mamata run Bengal underground!!!

9. AJSINGH

AJSINGH Senior Member Senior Member

so will CPM be finally out of west benagl ? it may give the chance for the state to progress , i dont think it much will happen under TMC

10. Yusuf

Foolhardy of the UPA if it goes clutching a sinking ship. It would do well to just stay on the sidelines and work at the grassroots. Once the people realize even mamta is a waste, they would have done enough work to get into contention on its own. Left will fall apart if it loses to TMC with a 2/3rd majority in WB like it has in the kolkata polls.

11. Iamanidiot

Iamanidiot Elite Member Elite Member

Yusuf both mamata and commies are a bloody nuisiance I want both of them out of the picture.Bengal never had a good leader since the time of CR Das

mehwish92 likes this.
  12. Iamanidiot

pro-maoist is better atleast they can be culled.The CPI(M) are chinese stooges in the parliament

13. nandu

nandu Senior Member Senior Member

West Bengal Municipal Election Results

Mamata Banerjee and her Trinamool Congress (TMC) have won the West Bengal civic polls, seen as the semi-final before next year's state elections.

Here are the results at a glance:

Battle for Bengal (Total 81 seats)
    Left Front 18 (-36)
    Trinamool 33 (+22)
    Congress 7

Battle for Kolkata (Results in 141 seats)
    Left 33 (-42)
    Trinamool 95 (+53)
    Congress 10 (-5)

http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/west-bengal-municipal-election-results-29329.php

14. Pintu

Pintu New Member

http://www.ptinews.com/news/686832_WB-civic-polls-show-people-have-rejected-Cong--BJP

WB civic polls show people have rejected Cong: BJP

STAFF WRITER 18:58 HRS IST

New Delhi, Jun 2 (PTI) Hailing Trinamool Congress' thumping win in the West Bengal civic polls, the BJP today said the electorate had whole-heartedly rejected the Congress due to its confusion on the naxal issue and its hobnobbing with the Left parties despite an alliance with the TC.

"We congratulate the Trinamool Congress on its spectacular performance in the Kolkata Municipal Corporation elections. West Bengal voters have completely rejected the Left parties which have been ruling the state for the last 30 or more years," BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said.

Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress was once a part of the BJP-NDA alliance.

"This election is a rejection of the Congress too. The reason is that while it has an alliance with the TC at the Centre, it is hobnobbing with the Communists in West Bengal.

"Hence, the people have whole-heartedly rejected the Congress," Sitharaman said.

15. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

I prefer my enemy's stooges to backstabbers and traitors.

Sabir likes this.
  16. Pintu

Pintu New Member

I am on the opinion , why don't we give them a chance to govern us ? If they can't perform they have to go . This is the essence of 'Democracy' you perform for the people else perish by the power of people.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    thakur_ritesh and Singh like this.
  17. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Thakur Sahab's post and my own opinions are similar but we are after all not in Bengal so Pintuda is right in saying perhaps the Bengalis do want change and perhaps TC can perform better than CPI ?

18. Iamanidiot

paaji backstabbers and traitors can be culled and filleted we did it in AP we will do it again.But we need to deny the fuel on which the insurgency is raging.I will never forgive the CCP clients for trying to cull the nuke deal

19. Yusuf

BJP is passing laughable statements. Congress was not even in the frame. So how did people reject it?

jackprince likes this.
  20. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

On the contrary Congress did better than what I hoped! Congress has long ago become an anathema to good lot of people opposing Left.

21. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Yes, Singhji, this is a matter we bengalis do understand since what others see and read are only statistics. You people might not know, but growing up we had to face and gradually come to hate one thing about the Left is the sheer arrogance of their members. My father, ever an apolitical person, once thought great of Lefts, but today when I want to show a sign of caution against the whimsical mentality of TMC leader, he still stubbornly says that the time has come for change. You might like to know that a good lot of people who have voted TMC, voted just to make Left Humble. We are doubtful about TMC, but we can't anymore take Karats, Yechuris, and their pet-dog Biman Bose. We want them humble, and want them to remember that this not USSR or China, but Bengal - where people choose who govern them. The fact is if the majority of people hadn't hated Congress for the emergency period still (the elder one's like my father) and good lot of others (younger ones like me) for its image as a Family-business - The Left would have gone a long ago. TMC provided the means to our goal. TMC would have won last assembly election too, if not for erratic behavior of Mamata Banerjee.

btw, Bengal as a whole had been let down by Left too many times. Everyone wants them to pay now. Besides whatever image Mr. Buddha might have got to the people outside WB, his image has been tarnished many times, as he had failed time and again to fulfill his promises. May be the leash of the Party is too tight around his neck that he couldn't perform the way he wanted.

Singh and Sabir like this.