Beijing's Apartheid Townships

Discussion in 'China' started by A.V., Oct 7, 2010.

1. A.V.

A.V. New Member

The community is walled and gated, an enclosure of rows of crowded low-rise homes and shops, where people live under the gaze of surveillance cameras and apart from the city. The police patrol around the clock, and security guards stop unfamiliar faces to check identification papers. In the morning, only one gate is open, through which parents head off to work and children go to school. At night, the gate is locked, preventing street loiterers from trespassing.

details here:- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/world/asia/04beijing.html

3. badguy2000

badguy2000 Respected Member Senior Member

haha. NTY is just one of CCTV and Xinhua's cousins.....

4. A.V.

A.V. New Member

i dont get it new york times having relation with xinhua well thats NEWS

by the way i take news from reuters and NYT with a biased view they are in line with their offivial state policy to demean anything thats not " western " in their views

5. nimo_cn

nimo_cn Senior Member Senior Member

Well, the title seems a little offensive. But it is ok, after being here for a such a long time, i am getting used to it.

I am gonna post another version of the story by China Daily, let us see the differences between the two versions.

Migrants put behind fences

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

This walled village concept is an unique one where there is total control over the population within.

Big Brother can watch you all the time and so there is no chance of any hanky panky or polluting the environment and lifestyle outside the village.

A neat and effective way to keep the poor out of the way of the rich and middle class and at the same time ensure being totalled walled in that they have no opportunity to disrupt society by protest and other forms of dissent that the observed economic disparity can foment.

This is a new avatar of the hukou system and the danwei system.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010