Beijing South Railway Station.....a very futuristic building

badguy2000

Respected Member
more
We chinese have mastered global best train tech and will soon sweep EU and Japanese out of train market.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
^^ Congrats. I must say they look spectacularly hi-tech and comfortable. Kudos to your transport department for this achievement. But one question: won't having high speed railways cause a problem for the domestic airline industry since low-fare carriers are around the same ticket price as this?

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
more
We chinese have mastered global best train tech and will soon sweep EU and Japanese out of train market.
same like the pakistan railways has been swept out of market with the import of chinese locomotives.right?????:emot15:

redragon

Country flag
^^ Congrats. I must say they look spectacularly hi-tech and comfortable. Kudos to your transport department for this achievement. But one question: won't having high speed railways cause a problem for the domestic airline industry since low-fare carriers are around the same ticket price as this?
Yes, actually, that is one of the major questions draws a lot discussions on Chinese forum, a lot people believe it has big impact on short range tour.

badguy2000

Respected Member
high speed railways have already immensely impact on those airline shorter than 1000 KM.

For example ,After Xi'an-Zhengzhou highspeed railway was finished, the airlines between the two cites have to be canceled.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I saw a few photos.

Where are the people?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
What is futuristic in this?

badguy2000

Respected Member
I saw a few photos.

Where are the people?
aha, when I posted the picture of Chinese expressways,many Indian guys and west medias also questioned soooo.

After FT reported the unprecedented 130-mile-long jams on CHinese Beijing-Tibet expessway,all those guys have their mouth l shut up.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Good what would be minimum price (BASIC FARE/MINIMUM DISTANCE AND MAXIMUM DISTANCE) of tickets to travel in this high sped trains (PLeaze PROVIDE IT IN TERMS OF DOLLAR as well as indian rupee)

amoy

I'm a regular passenger on high speed train shuttling from my hometown (a capital) to a SEZ.

270km for 90-110 mins @ RMB85 (economy class) and 105 for so-called business class , depending on stop-off. one departure every half an hour. High utilization!

Futuristic? It's just part of daiy life nowadays. Tangible for me. I feel it every week almost

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
I have travelled by HSR on three different lines, which are Hangzhou-Shaoxing, Ji'nan-Qingdao, Guangzhou-Shenzhen.

The Guangzhou-Shenzhen line is the most impressive one. Every ten minutes, there is a train leaving Guangzhou for Shenzhen, very convenient, like taking a subway.

But the high price also contributes to the impression, it cost me 80 RMB, though the journey only took 58 minutes.

nimo_cn

Country flag
I saw a few photos.

Where are the people?
In Chinese train stations, people without ticket are not allowed in the platform. And passengers with tickets are only allowed to enter the platform 5-15 minutes(20-30 minute if it is not HSR) before the train departs.
Hence, most of the time, the platform is empty.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That is a good thing that all and sundry are not allowed inside the platform.

However, I did see crowds on the platform (in photos) during the Chinese New Years and there were more people than it could meet the eye.

It must be quite a task to control so many people in the few minutes that are allowed to passengers to come in and board.

Do people miss the trains some times?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I'm a regular passenger on high speed train shuttling from my hometown (a capital) to a SEZ.

270km for 90-110 mins @ RMB85 (economy class) and 105 for so-called business class , depending on stop-off. one departure every half an hour. High utilization!

Futuristic? It's just part of daiy life nowadays. Tangible for me. I feel it every week almost
What is the difference in comfort between the Business class and the common class?

Are the tracks with fences on either side so that none (human or animal) and get hurt?

Rebelkid

Awesome work, good work keeping people out of the station :\

dove

more
I sincerely hope the quality of the trains are better than regular chinese stuff. The most complex chinese equipment I'm familiar with are Huawei and ZTE telecom switches. They are basically cheap workstations in a 'telecom chasis' with horribly buggy code and very basic features. Basically it can connect calls and allow SMS to be send. Very little in terms of diagnostic support, or even full standards compliance.

However, they are also incredibly cheap compared to the european equipment (which costs way too much to pay for their lazy indulgent lifestyles) and chinese provide one engineer to stand by for pretty much every switch they sell. They also respond to software change/fix requests from big vendors faster than europeans with all their processes and general disdain for 3rd world markets.

The end result is chinese technology is just enough to roll out a network, with some glitches, but still extremely cost effective. As the users get more demanding, the manufacturers also respond slowly growing up the value chain. IMO quite an interesting strategy.

However, a high speed train may not be an ideal product to apply the start cheap and low quality philosophy.

Another example is king long buses some municipal corporations in india ordered. They were swayed by the low costs compared to Volvos and they looked just as good. Within a year, these king longs were discarded as they kept breaking down all the time. New orders were given to Volvos and Tatas.

And so on for Chinese Cars etc etc.

If these chinese trains run in another country (where one can access maintenance logs transparently) and turn out to be as good in performance as they look, it would be a major step forward for China, graduating from cheap trinkets and knock-offs to making high-quality high-tech machines. Assuming these trains and Chinese built, and not just the body work is chinese are all other parts came from european companies in China.

Let's wait and see.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
I sincerely hope the quality of the trains are better than regular chinese stuff. The most complex chinese equipment I'm familiar with are Huawei and ZTE telecom switches. They are basically cheap workstations in a 'telecom chasis' with horribly buggy code and very basic features. Basically it can connect calls and allow SMS to be send. Very little in terms of diagnostic support, or even full standards compliance.

However, they are also incredibly cheap compared to the european equipment (which costs way too much to pay for their lazy indulgent lifestyles) and chinese provide one engineer to stand by for pretty much every switch they sell. They also respond to software change/fix requests from big vendors faster than europeans with all their processes and general disdain for 3rd world markets.

The end result is chinese technology is just enough to roll out a network, with some glitches, but still extremely cost effective. As the users get more demanding, the manufacturers also respond slowly growing up the value chain. IMO quite an interesting strategy.

However, a high speed train may not be an ideal product to apply the start cheap and low quality philosophy.

Another example is king long buses some municipal corporations in india ordered. They were swayed by the low costs compared to Volvos and they looked just as good. Within a year, these king longs were discarded as they kept breaking down all the time. New orders were given to Volvos and Tatas.

And so on for Chinese Cars etc etc.

If these chinese trains run in another country (where one can access maintenance logs transparently) and turn out to be as good in performance as they look, it would be a major step forward for China, graduating from cheap trinkets and knock-offs to making high-quality high-tech machines. Assuming these trains and Chinese built, and not just the body work is chinese are all other parts came from european companies in China.

Let's wait and see.
there much more "made in China' in India than you thnk.

for example. quite a part of india tele com net used facilites provided Huawei and ZTE. that is mean the sigal of you mobile phones are dealt by "made in China"

most of India electricity generators are imported from CHina. it means the electricities you use might be generated by "made in CHina".

quite a part of India steel plants also imported equipments from CHina.....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles