Behind IAF video game, IIM grad, IITian, ex-fighter pilot

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Behind IAF video game, IIM grad, IITian, ex-fighter pilot

The Android game will not only allow players to virtually control all of the IAF's aircraft

On July 3, the Indian Air Force (IAF) will officially launch its video game, Guardians of the Skies, with an aim to attract youngsters to join the profession of wings. Behind the IAF's foray into the virtual world — possibly the first such project by a national air force — is an Indian start-up led by an engineer, an MBA, and a retired fighter pilot who took part in the Kargil campaign.
The start-up Threye — founded by 27-year-old IIT-Kharagpur graduate Anurag Rana, and including in its core team 40-year-old former fighter pilot Sameer Joshi and 26-year-old IIM-Ahmedabad graduate Sidhant Rahi — won the contract after the IAF's year-long tendering process that saw participation from the likes of Disney.

The development of Guardians of the Skies began in January 2014, with Joshi conceptualising the story and Rana translating it into digital language. "Guardians of the Skies puts on display the glory of the Indian Air Force. Actively engaging youngsters on a storyline — the outcome of which they can decide by manoeuvring the IAF's aircraft — gives them a virtual experience of flying a combat mission over real terrain," Rana said..

While the July 3 launch will witness the unveiling of a training sortie besides two missions named 'Smell a Rat' and 'SOS' as part of the game, the launch of the full version on October 8, IAF Day, will reveal subsequent missions. The game, to be launched on Android first, will not only allow players to virtually control all of the IAF's aircraft, but will also decorate the players as they complete subsequent missions.

"Some of the pilots who played the game told us that the experience was close to real-life flying," Rana said.
"This is probably the first time that an Indian government agency has ventured into gaming, amalgamating it with a national cause," he said. He added that on the technical front, the challenge has been to incorporate 3D graphics and life-like effects on a mobile platform. The game occupies just 40 MB of storage space — about five per cent of a typical computer game.
Joshi, who has flown MiG-21 and Mirage 2000 aircraft and scripted the missions for the game, said he was hopeful that Guardians of the Skies would replicate the Top Gun phenomenon, wherein youngsters were motivated to join air forces across the world after watching the film.

Behind IAF video game, IIM grad, IITian, ex-fighter pilot | The Indian Express
Now, go and play the game in the virtual world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
OK. A few things.

First of all I hope they are not planning to compete with modern A+ or A (or for that matter even B) titles, because the game doesn't look so good (not only graphic wise but also the gameplay looks blocky and the camera went unstable during one barrel roll in the trailer itself). That being said, it is an excellent venture also a excellent opportunity. They should be marketing this game like crazy, it looks like it doesn't require special hardware so average Indian household/office desktop should be able to handle it. Also, they must price it cheap, like very cheap (since Indians don't like to "buy" games, thanks to piratebay). Also, they have got this whole patriotism thingy going on which is good, they could even sell to schools, organize competitions generate some ground swell. The key will be gameplay, throw in some top-class multiplayer and yes, it could be a winner. If they really are thinking of the future, however, they must release some dev tools and create a healthy and dedicated community of modders. This will get them quality coders for the next tiltes, not to mention money.

I want Indian gaming industry to go beyond shitty mobile titles with microtransactions.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
ok. A few things.

First of all i hope they are not planning to compete with modern a+ or a (or for that matter even b) titles, because the game doesn't look so good (not only graphic wise but also the gameplay looks blocky and the camera went unstable during one barrel roll in the trailer itself). That being said, it is an excellent venture also a excellent opportunity. They should be marketing this game like crazy, it looks like it doesn't require special hardware so average indian household/office desktop should be able to handle it. Also, they must price it cheap, like very cheap (since indians don't like to "buy" games, thanks to piratebay). Also, they have got this whole patriotism thingy going on which is good, they could even sell to schools, organize competitions generate some ground swell. The key will be gameplay, throw in some top-class multiplayer and yes, it could be a winner. If they really are thinking of the future, however, they must release some dev tools and create a healthy and dedicated community of modders. This will get them quality coders for the next tiltes, not to mention money.

I want indian gaming industry to go beyond shitty mobile titles with microtransactions.
lol........

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
OK. A few things.

First of all I hope they are not planning to compete with modern A+ or A (or for that matter even B) titles, because the game doesn't look so good (not only graphic wise but also the gameplay looks blocky and the camera went unstable during one barrel roll in the trailer itself). That being said, it is an excellent venture also a excellent opportunity. They should be marketing this game like crazy, it looks like it doesn't require special hardware so average Indian household/office desktop should be able to handle it. Also, they must price it cheap, like very cheap (since Indians don't like to "buy" games, thanks to piratebay). Also, they have got this whole patriotism thingy going on which is good, they could even sell to schools, organize competitions generate some ground swell. The key will be gameplay, throw in some top-class multiplayer and yes, it could be a winner. If they really are thinking of the future, however, they must release some dev tools and create a healthy and dedicated community of modders. This will get them quality coders for the next tiltes, not to mention money.

I want Indian gaming industry to go beyond shitty mobile titles with microtransactions.
Nice sarcasm.

This is a mobile platform game.
:rofl:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
well I do support dovah. If iaf launched a internet multiplayer game like cs or dota , it can be a famous game as it will contain modern warfare and planes like mki,tejas, mig29 etc.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
lol........
Good point. I see you enjoy being random, like me, Let me introduce myself.

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! holds up spork my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol"¦as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me _"¦ im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol"¦neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again _^ hehe"¦toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

aerokan

Country flag
If IAF has intelligent people, they would release the game for free and keep an eye on the strategies used by people to improve their strategies.. Let's see if we have intelligent strategists or not :cool:

hitesh

I would spend any amount of money for a Battifield2/COD4 level game that feature IA,Pak army in the story line involving kashmir CI ops ,armored face off withT90 ,arjaun tanks .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If IAF has intelligent people, they would release the game for free and keep an eye on the strategies used by people to improve their strategies.. Let's see if we have intelligent strategists or not :cool:
This is being released free.

It is a brilliant idea to get the youth interested in the IAF and join it.

For once and intelligent recruiting move.

Illusive

Country flag
OK. A few things.

Multiplayer will help in sales even if story is bad, they can correct the glitches with updates which i hope is timely. It may inspire to for gaming industry to make games like COD/Battlefield for Indian consumers.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Multiplayer will help in sales even if story is bad, they can correct the glitches with updates which i hope is timely. It may inspire to for gaming industry to make games like COD/Battlefield for Indian consumers.
Exactly, these games are not meant for story. Check out ACE Combat, story doesn't even make sense half the time. What people want to do I shoot missiles at UAVs and take out oilrigs. Hell this could be a great Heli v Heli scenario, kinda like capture the flag but here instead of flag you bomb player bases.

Illusive

Country flag
Exactly, these games are not meant for story. Check out ACE Combat, story doesn't even make sense half the time. What people want to do I shoot missiles at UAVs and take out oilrigs. Hell this could be a great Heli v Heli scenario, kinda like capture the flag but here instead of flag you bomb player bases.
I hope it has a scenario where IAF bombs paki terror camps with rafale:shoot:, then it be a must have game:cool:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles