Before Haryana polls, AAP speaks up for khap

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Before Haryana polls, AAP speaks up for khap

[​IMG]

New Delhi, Feb. 1: Aam Aadmi Party leader Yogendra Yadav today sought to extend nuanced support to khap panchayats, the de-facto community courts known for their rather strident stand on women.

The psephologist-turned-politician, who was possibly driven by the compulsion to get votes in poll-bound Haryana, said all community bodies had the “right to exist” as long as they played a “legitimate” role.

“All caste and communities tend to have social organisations. These organisations resolve disputes with consensus at the village level. They have a right to exist till they play their legitimate role,” Yadav said, refusing to join the demand for banning khap panchayats that wield considerable influence in rural areas in his native Haryana and other north Indian states.

The “problem”, he added, “arises when the law of the land is broken” and “killings or murders are defended”.

“Any organisation that defends such illegal acts is absolutely unacceptable,” he said, qualifying his support. “Our stand is uncompromising.”

Khap panchayats have been accused of ordering honour killings and issuing diktats to women not to wear western clothes and use mobile phones. Some khaps in Haryana have even demanded lowering the minimum age of marriage for girls to 16 from 18 to check rising cases of rape.

The Supreme Court has termed these de-facto courts “illegal” and women activists have been demanding that they be banned. The government and established political parties have, however, shied off speaking against khap panchayats as they wield considerable influence in rural areas.

The AAP, despite its professed stand of changing the system, appears to be treading the same path as the established parties, driven possibly by the same electoral compulsions.

The rookie outfit has set its eyes on Haryana, where polls are due later this year, and appears wary of annoying the powerful communities that control the khap courts.

Yadav, seen as the liberal face of the AAP, is tipped to be the party’s chief ministerial face and is campaigning widely in the state. “Delhi hui hamari, ab Haryana ki baari (after Delhi, it’s Haryana’s turn),” is the party’s slogan.

AAP boss Arvind Kejriwal, too, justified the existence of khap panchayats, which exist even in rural areas of Delhi.

“No, it is not a question of banning these panchayats. Khap panchayats are a group of people who come together. There is no bar on people to assemble in this country…. (But) whenever they take a wrong decision, whenever they take an illegal decision, they ought to be punished,” Reuters quoted the Delhi chief minister as saying.

Before Haryana polls, AAP speaks up for <I>khap</I>

It is most surprising that the otherwise calm person that Yogi Yadav is, he is falling prey to election votebank allures.

To imagine that khaps are being 'legitimised'by him with smooth sounding clap trap.

To sum and substance is that kahps have been declared illegal by the highest court of this Nation and Yogi speaks otherwise!

The agenda is surfacing and peeling of like a banana for the eating!

The true colours are being exposed - hunger for power and gaddi to subsist on the fish and loaves of office!

arnabmit and Free Karma like this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Voice against racism shouted down in AAP

New Delhi, Feb. 1: Madhu Bhaduri, former diplomat and a founding member of the Aam Aadmi Party, was hooted down at a meeting yesterday when she suggested the party “distance itself from any racial comments” and apologise to the African women “humiliated” by a mob led by law minister Somnath Bharti.

“I was allowed to speak only at the fag end of the (national council) meeting. I had spoken for barely a few minutes when the shouting brigade began shouting,” the retired IFS officer told The Telegraph.

“Chairperson Yogendra Yadav made no effort to stop those shouting. He, in fact, asked me to stop. There was a ruckus. I was hounded and the microphone was snatched from me,” added Bhaduri, wife of academic Amit Bhaduri.

Ajay, a party volunteer, said Bhaduri had “tears in her eyes” when she came out. “She told me she was hooted down and not allowed to speak.”

Asked for his reaction, Yadav merely cited “differences” in the party on the incident of January 15 night, when Bharti targeted the women on the pretext of a crackdown on a drugs and sex racket.

“Madhu Bhaduri is a respected member of the party. Yesterday, there were differences over the incident. She expressed differences with the party and expressed her anger,” he said.

Bhaduri is an old comrade of chief minister Arvind Kejriwal, who had skipped the meeting along with his ministers because it coincided with a cabinet discussion. Asked if Kejriwal had called her afterwards, she said: “No; they don’t want a voice of dissent.”

A “disillusioned” Bhaduri, member of the party’s committees on gender justice, foreign policy and national security, said she would not attend party meetings any more.

“I can’t resign because I hold no post in the party,” she said, without revealing whether she might quit her party membership.

“Electoral compulsions seem to have taken over the party. It’s now just like any other party. There’s a high command that doesn’t tolerate dissent. It has become Aam Aadmi Prejudice,” she said.

Bhaduri had retired from the foreign service in November 2003 and, by mid-2004, joined Parivartan, the RTI campaign led by Kejriwal, Prashant Bhushan and Manish Sisodia.

She had served a notice to the party national council saying she wanted to move a resolution. “The national council of AAP unanimously resolves to tender an apology to the women from Uganda and Nigeria,” it said.

“The AAP distances itself from any racist comments made by the party and apologises for any such comments by its members and supporters.”

The resolution was not taken up.

Voice against racism shouted down in AAP

Rather dictatorial and hardly what the am admi expects.

Is Binny then right in his accusations?

arnabmit and Free Karma like this.