BBC's documentaries about Chinese education

nimo_cn

Country flag

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Quite a waste of time since it was in Chinese, which is Greek to many!

Be good enough to tell us in your own words how fantastic it was when you were in school and it will be enough!

I am keen to learn how it was in village schools since I was not educated in one so that I know what I missed out on!

nimo_cn

Country flag
Quite a waste of time since it was in Chinese, which is Greek to many!

Be good enough to tell us in your own words how fantastic it was when you were in school and it will be enough!

I am keen to learn how it was in village schools since I was not educated in one so that I know what I missed out on!
It is a BBC work, all is done in English. Just ignore the Chinese subtitles, they were added into the series by Chinese netizens for Chinese viewers.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is a BBC work, all is done in English. Just ignore the Chinese subtitles, they were added into the series by Chinese netizens for Chinese viewers.
I picked this at random
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDcyMTAwNzk2.htm

Interesting.

It shows three schools and what was interesting is how children of various ages are indoctrinated.and how they are regimented like 'haircut day' or finding it a great honour to be Young Pioneers giving speeches in an English elocution contest.that have nationalistic content.

It was also wonderful to see how tiny tots wash the utensils and sweep the floor or the path to the school building and are taught dignity of labour.

The episode of the 16 yer old living in an apartment alone and making his girl friend wash clothes because 'that is what girls are supposed to do' or stating the after marriage the girl will not be allowed to work indicates the old school of though.

Yet, on the other hand, the documentary does show that he children are not too concerned what their parents feel as was shown with that boy who lives alone in an apartment and has a girl friend who cooks and washes for him and both don't care that their parents are not too keen on their being together.

The one child formula of China did show how it seriously affect the psychology of the young children.

It was sad to observe the sadness and yearning for his parent to be home in the clip on the boy who lives with his grandfather since his parents are migrant workers and meet him only during the Chinese New Year and during the school holidays. . And then the same feeling in the clip of the boy who broke his arm and his migrant worker father came to see him and how happy he was and then how sad he was when he went away..And the children waningt brothers since they are so lonely because of the One child policy.

The part where the couple had their second child and how the hid the pregnancy to have the second child also indicates that it is not the children alone who are effected by the One Child policy..The couple said that having a second child made them poorer, but were nonetheless happier,

In short, it was a wonderful documentary that allowed us to 'live' China and know certain aspects of China first hand so to say. Ideal for those who have not been to China.

This single link was so long that one could not go through it all.

I could reach upto the Gao Kao exam!

Thanks for giving the posters some wonderful links for them to know China first hand.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Children walk along a narrow mountain road to get to school in Bijie, southwest China's Guizhou Province. Banpo Elementary School is located halfway up a mountain and each day students from the nearby Genguan village have to climb a narrow winding footpath cut into the mountainside...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is so heartening to see that children the world over have a thirst for education.

In Ladakh and Lahaul Spiti, there are such areas where children hike dangerous trails over steep mountains and sheer falls to go to school.

It makes one feel proud of the new generation!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles