'Bazaaru', 'presstitute': BJP feasts on vocab of right-wing trolls

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by vikas_g, Apr 9, 2015.

1. vikas_g

vikas_g Regular Member

'Bazaaru', 'presstitute': From PM Modi to VK Singh, BJP feasts on vocabulary of right-wing trolls

The story goes that Ravana was extremely angry when Hanuman entered Lanka and asked him to set Sita free or face the wrath of her almighty husband. In his hubris, Ravana took Hanuman’s advice as an affront and set his tail on fire. The rest, as we know, is mythology.

Indian mythology and culture are full of lessons for those who make the mistake of believing that critics are best humiliated and silenced with brute physical or verbal violence. But even die-hard bhakts of our epics do not seem to get it. Unfortunately, for the votaries of Ram Rajya, when it comes to dealing with critics, Ravana is the real role model.

For most of the right-wing leaders today and their followers, dealing with dissent, nay-sayers and uncomfortable questions is a three-step process: If you don’t agree, abuse; if you can’t debate, ridicule; and if you can’t silence them; set their tails on fire.

Or, just call them presstitutes.

General (retd) VK Singh, the man of many legal, verbal and intra-departmental wars, on Tuesday responded to criticism of his statement on the ongoing rescue operations in Yemen by wondering, ‘what else can be expected of presstitutes!’ The epithet rolled out of foot-perennially-in-mouth Singh after he was slammed for saying--tongue in cheek- the ongoing rescue operation, which he is coordinating, is less exciting than visiting the Pakistan high commission.

Singh coordinated a brilliant rescue operation, got accolades for it and then drowned it all in an unnecessary controversy.

Singh is known to shoot from the lip, get back at people who annoy him or ask uncomfortable questions, get into ego battles with his colleagues and rivals. In the past, he has shown a remarkable penchant for making allegations—“I was offered bribe in a defence deal”—and then conveniently forgetting where he had misplaced the corroborating evidence. So, it is unlikely that he would back his latest slur with solid evidence and cogent arguments.

Yet, Singh’s diatribe is symptomatic of the way Indian right-wingers deal with their critics, especially in the media. When faced with opinion they do not agree with, ideas that do not reinforce their faith, beliefs and prejudices, these rabid supporters of freedom of speech, vocal opponents of 66A, ironically, try everything to silence the critics. Their philosophy is simple: You are either with them, or are automatically considered against them, a desh-drohi, a paid agent of the opponent or the neighbouring country.

As Sagarika Ghose once poignantly said: “There's a disturbing new trend in the Indian media of measuring objectivity and bias. Journalists who believe the politician is their natural adversary and systematically question all politicians are seen as biased, but those who attack only certain politicians and sing hosannas to another politician are seen as objective.”

In every Indian school, right at the primary level, we often read Kabir’s famous doha (couplet) advising the company of critics and avoiding sycophants. Throughout our lives we love to vacuously quote Voltaire’s “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.’ But most of these cultural values and immortal quotes are conveniently forgotten when the time comes to stand up to them.

So, surveys are called bazaaru for rightly predicting a BJP defeat. Patriotism of news anchors is questioned because they didn’t walk out of a discussion where the Indian Prime Minister is compared to a ‘dehati aurat’ by Nawaz Sharif. Reporters are manhandled while covering the PM”s rockstar events in the US for showing similar enthusiasm for covering the Gujarat riots. Journalists are advised to behave like honeybees that collect honey and sting, instead of flies that just spread dirt. And media houses are labeled as ‘newstraders that dance to the Congress party’s tunes.’

In the end, in yet another symptom of rising intolerence, it is the messenger that is shot at, like the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists, or attacked online with the murderous rage of those who routinely behead bloggers in Bangladesh. Only the weapon, so far, is different.

The truth, ironically, might be completely different from the verdict that is generally pronounced on the media industry by right wingers and their followers. In a country where the revenues are heavily dependent on government advertising and not on circulation, many media houses often kow tow to the government in power. They are quite circumspect in their criticism of the people in power, wary of taking on the government and often succumb to external pressure.

To think that an industry that is so inextricably tethered to the government can stray into ‘presstitution’ is a travesty of the truth.

'Bazaaru', 'presstitute': From PM Modi to VK Singh, BJP feasts on vocabulary of right-wing trolls - Firstpost

3. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

I have to agree with this. Many BJP supporters who have access to a keyboard seem to be very foul mouthed and whenever countered with debatable points, they display their complete lack of debating skills and resort to using unparliamentary language.

Also, these right-wingers seem to come for the Hindutva stable, yet, seem most incapable of learning lessons from our Hindu scriptures.

4. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Indian media has not covered itself in glory in recent times, especially after the Radia tapes fiasco.

Gen.Singh could have handled it in a more dignified manner.

maomao likes this.
  5. Khagesh

Khagesh Regular Member

This is a difference of opinion.

On my part I find the non-hindutva side exceedingly ignorant of our collective past. Most times I find people of Hindutva vadi bent are exceedingly lenient and merely register a formal note of protest despite the shear propaganda from the entitled types who think they did a favour to the country in 1947.

Why don't the people who think they have a better handle on Hindu scriptures engage these Hindutva vadi types on the matter of those scriptures.

As regards foul mouth yes that too is a requirement. Shown yesterday on this forum itself. Foul mouth has to be used only till a Hindutva type does not get the address of these false flag operators. After that it will not be the mouth that will do the talking.

Reality, as I see it, is that a private ceremony of aman ki asha type is indulged in by a few of the seculars and they think they can risk the future of this country for their own internet-clubs and kitty-parties. Actually the internet-clubs and kitty-parties are also quite tolerable, but then these internet-clubs and kitty-parties should not be run in the name of India, purporting to protect the interests of India, when the reality is that these internet-clubs and kitty-parties are only an old boys network of circular scholarship at best.

maomao, VIP, Mad Indian and 2 others like this.
  6. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

VIP, Mad Indian and ersakthivel like this.
  7. mayfair

mayfair Elite Member Elite Member

I agree with the points you make but I think it's fairer to say that foul mouthed trolls are not endemic to a specific ideology, rather they appear to be well distributed across the political spectrum from far-right to far-left and the distribution transcends geographical and linguistic divisions.

All right-wingers need not necessarily be Hindutva-inclined- some overseas members on this very site, including the Pakis, Chinese, Americans to name a few are hardly Hindutvawaadis don't you think?

8. Khagesh

Khagesh Regular Member

Exactly and all Hindutva types are also not Rightwingers. It is a consistent claim that very concept of RW and LW fail in the context of Hinduism and Hindutva-vada. As a Hindutva sympathizer why should I compromise on the future of the country only for some obscure useless import from the west. If tomorrow LW helps me preserve the country then hell, I am a LW. But RW or LW it is my country so in here both RW and LW have to walk the straight and narrow chalked out by people of this country. Anybody who wants his concepts to work here should have the sense to have his concepts accepted first by the country, through a method of challenge and counter challenge.

The problem arises when people intend to run their write ups on openly accessible forums but do not wish to be questioned for what they are writing, all the while dealing in some other man's wares.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  9. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Foul-mouthed people are in all parties, more or less equally distributed in %age. In fact, by purely anecdotal evidence I can say that AAPTards are the worst and most foul-mouthed. But then, I rarely say things that upset RW folk, so that probably causes a bias.

Here's a challenge. Create two Twitter accounts, abuse Kejriwal/AAP in one of them, abuse BJP/Modi in the other. I guarantee you that the number of counter-abuses that you get will be constant across both (more or less). Considering that AAPTards are much less in number than Bhakts, the fact that they can whip up as much frenzy and abuse as the numerically superior Bhakts, really tells you something.

iNDiAN.96 and VIP like this.
  10. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

Well, presstitutes or bazaar, at the end of the day they get what they deserve.

11. ersakthivel

ersakthivel Senior Member Senior Member

Finally the twitter hashtag king Arnab who had a jolly good time with twitter CEO last week, has his comeuppance in the same twitter itself.

it is wrong to say all of them are simple right wingers.

Mostly common people are fed up with the delicate bundle of lies sold by these news traders for a long time,

Shekar Gupths's coup stories ,
    Rajdeep Sardesai's action hero part in New york during Modi's visit,
    Bharka Dutt's Radia tapes,
    NDTV's forex problems,
    All are out in the open now in lucid details thanks to social media.

much worse these guys were bitterly fighting each other for a few dollars more from their own news platform,

Rajdeep Sardesai wrote a back handed compliment piece criticising Arnab's (mindless) critique of Indian cricket team after semi final loss,
    Saba naqvi's OUTLOOK carried a scathing indictment of Arnab in its latest issue,
    NDTV and Times Now fought an open battle on india's daughter documentary,
    harshtosh singh bal called the general "lout" in the newshour debate.
    And even last night Shekar guptha didn't forgot to remind Arnab for providing platform to V.K. Singh for rebutting his ridiculous coup story,

if the Editor's guild is miffed at the statements of V.K. Singh, why was it silent on all the above issues?

And the general in particular has been a continuous target of planted fake stories for eons!!!

So the public has seen it all, knows all. So they are venting their anger against these motivated news traders in support of VK singh.

Why? because all other indian politicians need the media's support and never boldly criticize them for their crooked attempts to mould the news as they want, because they want favours from media. but VK singh needs no favour and spoken out after repeated hitting below the belt effort from media.

From his DOB issue, leaked letter to prime minister, espionage charge on TSD which served under him,TATRA bribes issue and the coup report VK singh was unfairly targeted at regular intervals with fake planted stories by the a section of the crooked media outlets. So it is only natural for a general to strike back. if at all Arnab took in easily and moved on no one would have bothered much about it.

but because of his arrogance Arnab tried to whip up non existent passion on this issue and met his water loo. with cotrived tweets like this!!!
    [​IMG]

but it is not as if twitter world is trying to dump the free media.

the moment journalist focus on things that are of national importance, the same twitter will celebrate their coverage with faithful followings on the same twitter.

http://stream.aljazeera.com/story/201504072055-0024669

this #presstitute moment has shown the mirror to the mainstream media's arrogant ways.

12. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

All this shows that VK Singh has forgot that he is a elected representative and needs to behave like a mature guy and not some local street politician abusing others in his private office. :tsk:

Coming out of such a senior guy specially former Army Chief is really a big disappointment and he has become a habitual offender now.

BJP needs to get rid of these extra baggage and some action needed. These guys are giving some ammo to the opposition who wanna get every single chance to confront of BJP.

13. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

/Ravana is the real role model./

role model for media? Then "presstitutes" tag suits them! :lol:

14. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

BJP needs more guys like him - calling a spade a spade. They may come out crash to the elite leftist libturds and presstitudes, but they speak the plain and direct language that common people like and respect. BJP should not follow the precedent set by Congoons where honey tongued merchants looting people were groomed and lifted to top.

VIP likes this.
  15. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

Are you sarcastic??

I think other BJP leaders should have more vocal like this & should start calling spade a spade.

VIP likes this.
  16. NSG_Blackcats

NSG_Blackcats Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009 Senior Member

Congratulation to General V K Singh for calling a spade a spade.

I am sure BJP knows that most of the people are behind former COAS and MoS external affairs. The Bazaru media is getting a test of SM for past couple of days.

Let me give you few examples how our Media became Bazaru in last 5-6 years.

There was coup planned by General V K Singh with help of 800 odd soldiers. – Headlines for Indian Express.

Minor incidents termed as attack on Christians in India – All major MSM

How many chief editors were involved in Radia tapes?

How many instances of paid news reported? There are hundred on incidents I can quote.

For those who are blaming RW, mark my word, more Hindus will be in the so called RW group and only sickulars , intellectual mafia and our bazaru media will be responsible for it. I am already witnessing it at my work place not sure about your experience.

If Christians, Muslims have right to convert, Hindus have right of Ghar Wapsi.

17. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Paid news is a recognised phenomenon, even by the Election Commission.

That would be Prostitution of news, would it not be so?

I would think that stating that two battalions are about to stage a coup, when two Brigades along with a huge military contingent with all the modern weapons for display at the Republic Day Parade are in Delhi, is, to my mind, prostitution of news aimed to befuddle the Nation.

DingDong, ersakthivel and maomao like this.
  18. Rowdy

Rowdy Co ja kurwa czytam! Senior Member

Nope. Pagans are subhuman rapists and have no such rights as Hindu is a false religion and is of the Devil.

maomao likes this.
  19. maomao

maomao Veteran Hunter of Maleecha Senior Member

I find leftists / commies and self-proclaimed intellectuals most - prude, sly and devious. For long, they have been duping the 'aam-junta' all along, for bread crumbs thrown at them by their foreign masters and lowlife secular politicians. They and their intellectual yuppie supporters are the worst when it comes to using unparliamentary language, when given a taste of their own medicine they cry wolf.

Their treacherous ways are getting exposed by the RW and the message is getting absorbed by the people of this country who were gullible & naive in the past - this gives these 'people's movement' type cognac drinking page-3 revolutionaries orgasmic jitters! More so, the allies of these jholachap foreign agents (i.e. inhouse / closet Jihadis & evangelist industry) are scared to the roost due to obvious reasons!

I believe calling spade a spade and hitting back at these sold out media crooks is the need of the hour and it will rightly continue.

Access to Keyboards have surely given a voice to the unheard school thought of the majority!!

Information is not a keep of media crooks belonging to the house of "yellow journalism'; hence these sissies are crying out loud when countered attacked!

20. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

I gotta give it to you guys. It is true that foul mouthed people exist everywhere. I think ever since the run up to the last elections, partly due to the various scams under the previous government and partly due to the frenzy of Modi worshipping, I have noticed a significantly larger number of right-wingers indulging in foul mouthed language. It could be just me.

A debate is always welcome. Difference in opinions is also a good thing. It is always better to disagree and move on, instead of playing the "patriot" card, or calling names.

Ravana was actually a role model.

21. sob

sob Moderator Moderator

Media was given the tag of the 4th estate- to bring balance to democracy.

They were supposed to be the independent watchdog. Somewhere down the line they started to mould public opinion as per their own interests and now they are trying to mould events to suit their commercial needs. This needs to be reversed.