Bapunagar stadium to be converted into a lake

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by parijataka, Oct 4, 2012.

1. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

In Bangalore we have lost many old lakes and tanks built by our ancients to encroachment, including some to govt constructed bus stands and other public amenities. This seems to be a very practical initiative by A'bad authorities to convert a low lying and prone t flooding stadium to lake!

Bapunagar stadium to be converted into a lake

iNDiAN.96, Sridhar, Zebra and 3 others like this.
  3. aragorn

aragorn Senior Member Senior Member

When i was a kid, We used to go there to play cricket. It is a big stadium and I was staying in Bapunagar at that time. Hundreds of cricket matches were played simultaneously. It was also used to hold 15th aug and 26 Jan flag hoisting ceremony.

Our school sports day was held there for 2-3 years due to construction of new school building.

I was offered first ciggy with charas there which i readily declined :D

Feeling very nostalgic about this. Too many memories attached with this stadium...those were the days :(

Anyways good initiative by AMC people. It is said that this stadium has became an adda for anti social elements. goonda elements have captured the stadium and they are indulged in hooch and liquor trading, eve teasing, gambling and what not.

This was still on planning stage a year back. AMC is planning Kankaria Riverfront like structure in atleast 3-4 lakes all around ahmedabad.

Vastrapur Lake, Chandola Lake, Lal bahadur shastri lake will be developed like riverfront this was the new i heard 2 years back when i was doing a project in Sachivalaya, Gandhinagar.

Chandola and LBS lake both are in Minority dominated area for those who are accusing guj govt of ignoring minority in development.

4. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

^^ charsi kadi na marsi :troll: :hookah:

VIP likes this.
  5. aragorn

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Our society cricket team used to go there at 5 AM for exercise before any big tournament and our captain used to make us run full 5 rounds of the stadium and we all were like...wtf man...after 5 rounds we will not have stamina for cricket. Our captain was a son of a doodhwala bhaiya who has 10 cows and he was built like a bull. i have seen him hit some of the biggest sixes of all time...he has hit a six which crossed the entire LBS stadium we were playing at one end and he has hit a six which crossed the entire stadium and went on the walkway which is almost half a km away :shocked:

VIP, parijataka and Singh like this.
  6. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

500m Six ? :hail:

7. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Crossed the whole stadium and reached to half km.....

8. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

By any chance did you see Homeguard parade in that ground any time?? I somehow belong to bapunagar as well. :)

9. aragorn

yeah. quite a few times...before 15th aug and 26th jan they used to come there for parade..

10. iNDiAN.96

iNDiAN.96 Nationalist Senior Member

My father was Homeguard battalion commander for Bapunagar-Rakhial and Gomtipur. So I know that area. :)

VIP and aragorn like this.