Bangladesh : The Next South Asian Power?

Defcon 1

Country flag
You are talking about "Stranded Pakistanis" or "Pakistan Loyalists" who supported Pakistan during the Independence War, They live in refugee camps, Im speaking specifically of Indian Biharis of the modern day and age going to Bangladesh, Because Bihar is the poorest state of India, Bangladesh is the closet place for them to go. Eastern Part of South Asia is generally speaking the more underdeveloped of South Asia.
pick up a map of india and study it......bihar has no direct border with bangladesh

Pathogen

How can a country be strategically located which is surrounded by its neighbour from three sides. Only strategic gain BD can have by giving India aroute to N-E which it does not give.
Why India not hold joint war games with Bangladesh or give Bangladesh development aid if its economy and military prowess are growing at such an alarming rate as Indians claim? Either its all hype or Bangladesh for some reasons still does not figure in the politics of South Asia.

For too long now, Bangladesh has been marginalized, First by Pakistan, Then by India and now by the World. Let me ask this, Since Bangladesh is not "strategically" located and is a "piss poor" country according to another member how then can Bangladesh become "relevant"? What is Bangladesh doing wrong?

Sabir

DFI TEAM
You are talking about "Stranded Pakistanis" or "Pakistan Loyalists" who supported Pakistan during the Independence War, They live in refugee camps, Im speaking specifically of Indian Biharis of the modern day and age going to Bangladesh, Because Bihar is the poorest state of India, Bangladesh is the closet place for them to go. Eastern Part of South Asia is generally speaking the more underdeveloped of South Asia.
Why do you think BD is the closest place for Indian Biharis to go. The Muslim Biharis who went there in 1947 are already suffering enough.

Bihar is one of the most underdeveloped state in India. True. But they have enough option in India than going to BD which itself one of the poorest economy. Some elements in BD make up this story as they want to disown their Bihari countrymen.

Even in India you can find Biharis in other states mainly in the cities where scope of living is more; not in the rural areas. And even Kolkata is big enough city to absorb those migrants.

I live in Kolkata, near DUMDUM air-port which is full of people who have migrated from BD.

However many Indians have the belief that all Bangladeshi comes in WB are Muslims which is flawed. Rather most of them are Hindus and that solves the mystery of Shrinking BD Hindu population.

pmaitra

What I dont understand is why Bangladesh which has almost the same population as Pakistan (slightly less) and being almost completely ethnically homogeneous and having democracy is lagging behind Pakistan in terms of economy (Bangladesh economy is half the size of Pakistan aswell as GDP per capita nominal), Bangladesh has no real military power to speak off, Only now its embarking on a nuclear power plant that was originally planned by Pakistan for the erstwhile East Pakistan almost 50 years ago,
GDP is not the only indicator of prosperity. Bangladesh is going very well in many aspects compared to Pakistan.

US$1 = ৳76.46 = PKR86.70

Bangladesh does not have a goose that lays golden eggs like Pakistan does (Balochistan), so Bangladesh cannot exploit the oil resources. I hear that Bangaldesh has a lot of natural gas. Whatever happened to that?

Also, compare Bangladesh Railway with Pakistan Railway. The former is slowly but steadily improving while the latter is simply nearing extinction.

Not just that but but socially culturally and internationally Bangladesh does not enjoy the same kind of attention that Pakistan gets even though they are both almost the same size and from the same region.
It is better to not get attention than to get attention for the wrong reasons.

Biggest produce of Bangladesh: Jute or perhaps Rice?
Biggest produce of Pakistan: Terrorists.

Bangladesh has had the benefit of good relations with India since Independence and has not had to worry about fighting wars in Afghanistan or taking in tens of millions of refugees from Afghanistan, Though Bangladesh did take in Rohingya refugees but not nearly as many as are/were being hosted by Pakistan.
Bangladesh also has the benefit of (1) floods, (2) life and crop destroying cyclones, (3) two power hungry women incessantly quibbling with each other and a foreign policy that toggles like a vehicle's turning lights.

Almost completely lost on South Asia and the world is the huge contribution Bangladesh has made to international peacekeeping aswell as economics with the development of mirco-credit. Bangladesh has a thriving economy and I see Bangladesh replacing Pakistan as the second largest economy of South Asia, It only needs to stamp out the corruption.
Yes, and that is well recognised in the relevant quarters.

Bangladesh does not get the international or even regional respect that it deserves despite its contributions to International peacekeeping and economics with mirco credit development and being the founder of SAARC.
Bangladesh is not treated with any disrespect either. Dr. Yunus has actually earned a lot of attention and generated interest the world over.

I agree with the geography that Pakistan is "better" positioned on the map, But its not just geographic, Its also cultural, Take the Cricket match at Mohali, You had celebrities from both India and Pakistan at the event, It was sold out and not just that but the entire city was shut down and the VIPs were flying in on private jets and Prime ministers were coming in helicopters, A match between Bangladesh and India would never get that kind of attention,
Even none took Indian Cricket Team seriously at one time. Now they do. Ditto for Sri Lanka. Bangladesh is nowhere now, but they have a lot of talented cricketers and good potential. Hard work can get Bangladesh in the top league.

Take even the border crossings between Bangladesh and India, There is no "Wagah" like crossing that people throng to watch the opening and closing. It just seems that the international community and the South Asia region in general does not take Bangladesh seriously or it does not command the kind of respect it should be given.
Yes, because Bangladesh is not Pakistan. Our two greatest threats are PRC and Pakistan and we have fought wars with both of them. We have never fought wars with Bangladesh and there is no fear of conflict either. That is why there is no such thing as 'Wagah' ceremonies.

Pakistan is like a regional swindler, First they fooled the British into creating Pakistan, Then they annexed Kashmir and wanted Jungadah , All the while they were stealing from Bangladesh jute and other natural resources, Now they want to lord over Afghanistan. Also Pakistan owes Bangladesh alot of money, I believe that Bangladesh should seek reparations and official apology from Pakistan for its wartime barbarity.
One must not place all the blame on Pakistan. Muslim League and the idea of a separate politics based on Muslim identity started from Bengal, not what would be present day Pakistan.

I don't know whether you are Pakistani or Bangladeshi or from any other country. But what you said in bold part is completely wrong. There are around 10-20 Million illegal Bangladeshi living in India. Anyone can find these people in Assam, W.B., East Bihar and even cities like Delhi and Mumbai. Indians don't go to Bangladeshi. I only heard these from few idiot day-dreamer Bangladeshi on some other forum just to counter the allegation.
Illegal transit across Indo-Bangla border is no one way street. It is a two way street. Typically, the number of people crossing into India is significantly larger than those going into Bangladesh. People migrate to India for livelihood in majority of the cases while people travel to Bangladesh to hide from the Indian security forces and then there are people who go back and forth for trade.

You should look it up. There were hundreds of ULFA and NLFT fighters who had moved into Bangladesh to hide from the Indian security forces till the Awami League government forced them out of Bangladesh into India and into the hands of Indian forces waiting for their catch.

Last edited:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Why India not hold joint war games with Bangladesh or give Bangladesh development aid if its economy and military prowess are growing at such an alarming rate as Indians claim? Either its all hype or Bangladesh for some reasons still does not figure in the politics of South Asia.

For too long now, Bangladesh has been marginalized, First by Pakistan, Then by India and now by the World. Let me ask this, Since Bangladesh is not "strategically" located and is a "piss poor" country according to another member how then can Bangladesh become "relevant"? What is Bangladesh doing wrong?
As I told, only strategic importance BD has in eyes of India that is a corridor to N-E. It can benefit India (short route to N-E) as well as BD (transit fees). But, till now BD politicians consider that will be a blow to BD sovereignty (they knows only how).

If you want to know how much important you are ; you have to listen to your enemy and competitor. Politicians in every countries have the habit to bluff their countrymen.

It is good thing that BD dont have to waste money in defence. They are in better position than Pakistan or India on that ground.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
There is a large ammount of Biharis in Bangladesh and they came from Bihar which is in India, Bihar like I said is the poorest state of India so it makes sense for them to go to Bangladesh where there economy is better.

Lastly Bangladesh IS strategically located, Alot of Bangladesh not getting the recognition it deserves is because people do not realize this fact. Also I can tell you that Bangladesh people have alot of goodwill towards India but Indians seem to look down upon Bengalis as being "dirty" or "inferior" much like they were viewed by West Pakistani occupiers. History seems to repeat itself.
Dude, let me tell you something about the bolded part. I will be perfectly honest here.

Till 2010, I had a very good opinion of Bangladesh and Bangladeshis. I used to think of it as a nation which was trying hard to get out of the trap of poverty and extremism, and which would take its place as a prosperous and peaceful nation. I used to think of it as the "good part of ex-Pakistan".

My opinion was totally and radically changed when I began interacting with Bangladeshis online. Their hate of India, their continuous attempts to belittle India, their constant refrain of how evil the Hindu Indians are when compared to Muslims and the Ummah, etc. etc. - I have begun to detest them now.

They have a visceral loathing and hate for India. They wish nothing but the worst for India. And these are not isolated instances. Almost 9/10 Bangladeshis I have met online have this attitude. And almost 50% of them openly wish for the N-E to secede from India.

Really, I had no idea. But now I know better.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I agree with Pmitra....if BD comes out of cat fight of AL and BNP, it will be better for them. They are intelligent, hardworking. They should concentrate in labour intensive industries (they are doing already like ready-made garments) first, improving purchasing power of their people which will automatically become a catalyst for further industrial development.

P.S the Grameen Bank model is followed in India as well. So it is wrong that BD has nothing to give to the world.

Pathogen

There is anger in Bangladesh because following Independence Bangladeshi people assumed that they would be the number #2 power in South Asia given that the larger population and great economic potential, Not just that but because Pakistan is universally loathed by South Asia, Bangladeshis have a dislike of Pakistanis because of their war time barbarity, Indians dislike Pakistan for being Muslims, Partition and because of Kashmir. Afghanistan dislikes Pakistan because they have been meddling in Afghanistan and reduced Afghanistan to the most miserable nation of the world by using proxies like the Taliban.

So with all this said there is a sense of betrayal in that Bangladesh never did get that mantle of being a regional power despite normal relations with India and at the time of Independence having a larger population than Pakistan. Alot of this is down to the short-sightedness of Bangladesh leaders, But alot of the blame for Bangladesh lack of important regionally and internationally lies in India. For South Asia and the world its still all about Pakistan, "Pakistan's role in Afghanistan", "Pakistan's dispute in Kashmir", "Pakistan fight the Soviets", "Pakistan supporting the Taliban" ,"Pakistan's Intelligence agency", Then its "Pakistan's nuclear weapons progamme", "Pakistan and China", "Pakistan and India, "Pakistan and US", "Pakistani spies" Its still all about Pakistan and its like a broken record!

It just seems that being a responsible and peacekeeping state like Bangladesh doesnt get you billions of dollars of aid or international recognition than being like Pakistan which actively goes around killing people and seeking conflicts that it can involve itself in to get money.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ Dude, please read my earlier comment. :dude:

You blame us for being a stuck record, always harping on Pakisatan. It is good that Bangladesh is not a nuisance value to the world. It is something to be happy about.

But now, when we are discussing transit to the N-E, Bangladeshis all over cyberspace explode in rage over the deal with India. They froth about how evil India is, and how nasty any talk of transit is. And then they take a perverse pleasure in belittling India, and showcasing misery and poverty in India.

This is the Bangladeshi attitude which makes me turn negative towards BD, instead of neutral.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
There is anger in Bangladesh because following Independence Bangladeshi people assumed that they would be the number #2 power in South Asia given that the larger population and great economic potential, Not just that but because Pakistan is universally loathed by South Asia, Bangladeshis have a dislike of Pakistanis because of their war time barbarity, Indians dislike Pakistan for being Muslims, Partition and because of Kashmir. Afghanistan dislikes Pakistan because they have been meddling in Afghanistan and reduced Afghanistan to the most miserable nation of the world by using proxies like the Taliban.

So with all this said there is a sense of betrayal in that Bangladesh never did get that mantle of being a regional power despite normal relations with India and at the time of Independence having a larger population than Pakistan. Alot of this is down to the short-sightedness of Bangladesh leaders, But alot of the blame for Bangladesh lack of important regionally and internationally lies in India. For South Asia and the world its still all about Pakistan, "Pakistan's role in Afghanistan", "Pakistan's dispute in Kashmir", "Pakistan fight the Soviets", "Pakistan supporting the Taliban" ,"Pakistan's Intelligence agency", Then its "Pakistan's nuclear weapons progamme", "Pakistan and China", "Pakistan and India, "Pakistan and US", "Pakistani spies" Its still all about Pakistan and its like a broken record!

It just seems that being a responsible and peacekeeping state like Bangladesh doesnt get you billions of dollars of aid or international recognition than being like Pakistan which actively goes around killing people and seeking conflicts that it can involve itself in to get money.
More loan you will get more money will be stolen by the politicians and the responsibility of the debt will be up on the common people. Aid is also one kind of loan (though pay back might not be in moneitary terms)

Pathogen

More loan you will get more money will be stolen by the politicians and the responsibility of the debt will be up on the common people. Aid is also one kind of loan (though pay back might not be in moneitary terms)
Yes but im not talking about "loans" im talking about the multi-billion dollar "grants" and "subsidies" that are showered on Pakistan by the US, Saudi, UAE, China and the EU. Ie They dont pay it back.

Just recently Pakistan got given a EU subsidy for its Textiles, It also gets billions from the Kerry Lugar Bill which states Pakistan will get billions each year which it does not need to pay back, Then there is free oil from Saudi Arabia and "gifts" from China in the form of heavily subsided nuclear reactors of which 80% will be paid for by China, oh wait and Chinese "Buyers Credits" where the Chinese government offers money to Chinese companies to invest in Pakistan, Why China not want to build nuclear reactors in Bangladesh for example?

All the while getting these freebies Pakistani diaspora is sending $12 billion each year in remittances, And to top it all off they want FDI from these countries aswell!

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Okay why does Pakistan get so much attention from the world ? Simple, it has a brilliant geographic location. Its situated next to the "oil wells of power".

This fact was realized by all Pakistani leaders, right from Jinnah

Carrying on, regardless | Opinion | DAWN.COM

When asked what plans he had for the industrial development of the country, and did he hope to enlist technical or financial assistance from America: "'America needs Pakistan more than Pakistan needs America,' was Jinnah's reply. 'Pakistan is the pivot of the world, as we are placed' "¦ 'the frontier on which the future position of the world revolves.' "¦'Russia,' confided Mr Jinnah, 'is not so very far away.'
Now, it's another issue that this has turned into (and will remain) a curse.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Indians dislike Pakistan for being Muslims
:target:
Flaming much buddy?

Please tell me:
  • Why does India have excellent relations with Kazakhstan?
  • Why does India have excellent relations with Tajikistan?
  • Why does India have excellent relations with Afghanistan?
  • Why does India have excellent relations with Qatar, going up to serious defense relations?
  • Why does India have excellent relations with Oman, going up to serious defense relations?
  • Why does India have excellent relations with Turkey, going up to serious defense relations?
  • Why does India have good relations with Iran?
  • Why does India have good relations with Baloch Nationalists?
After all, these are all Muslim majority countries (or entities)!

Blame it on the Cold War, Truman Doctrine, "giving the Soviets their Vietnam," access point to Central Asia aka geographical location and last but not the least, nukes.

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Lately, Pakistan has become a beggar country and beggars aren't choosers. :nono:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador

And what has Pakistan got from all that?

Partition in '71, and another one ready in balochistan. Last they lost half in terms of population, this time it will be half in terms of geographical area.

Be termed as the hub for terrorism, with best known export of terrorism.

Overseas Pakistanis feel ashamed to be called Pakistanis, and so hide behind indian identity.

Yes, if the question is about the thugs who run the country, those be the pak armed forces, politicians, bureaucrats, corporate heads, zamindars, mullas and all their famalies, they all have enjoyed the economic dole outs, but certainly not the common man on the street who is forced to eat grass, who everyday suffers from bombings, who suffers sky rocketing inflation but those people have been fed so much propaganda that they cant see right from wrong.

Imagine they are falling head over heels for pak army protégé in Imran khan!

Thats what they are destined to have, so be it.

NSG_Blackcats

Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009
In recent past Bangladesh is doing economically better than Pakistan. On many human development indexes it has better record than India. So they are in the right path. But there are lot of corruption in BD same as we have in India. They a have a good amount of proven Gas reserve which will help their economy.

But they have to put some checks on the rising extremism in their country. So I believe they have a very good future ahead.

Pathogen

Bangladesh has been left to the dogs neighbouring the poorest parts of India, I have never once met an Indian say that Biharis from India in Bangladesh should go back to Bihar.

How about taking these "Stranded Bihars" back?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles