Bangladesh : The Next South Asian Power?

Pathogen

What I dont understand is why Bangladesh which has almost the same population as Pakistan (slightly less) and being almost completely ethnically homogeneous and having democracy is lagging behind Pakistan in terms of economy (Bangladesh economy is half the size of Pakistan aswell as GDP per capita nominal), Bangladesh has no real military power to speak off, Only now its embarking on a nuclear power plant that was originally planned by Pakistan for the erstwhile East Pakistan almost 50 years ago, Not just that but but socially culturally and internationally Bangladesh does not enjoy the same kind of attention that Pakistan gets even though they are both almost the same size and from the same region.

Bangladesh has had the benefit of good relations with India since Independence and has not had to worry about fighting wars in Afghanistan or taking in tens of millions of refugees from Afghanistan, Though Bangladesh did take in Rohingya refugees but not nearly as many as are/were being hosted by Pakistan.

Almost completely lost on South Asia and the world is the huge contribution Bangladesh has made to international peacekeeping aswell as economics with the development of mirco-credit. Bangladesh has a thriving economy and I see Bangladesh replacing Pakistan as the second largest economy of South Asia, It only needs to stamp out the corruption.

Bangladesh does not get the international or even regional respect that it deserves despite its contributions to International peacekeeping and economics with mirco credit development and being the founder of SAARC.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ Are you from Bangladesh? I know it is not related to topic, but just curious.

Phenom

@OP
I think the lack of interest in Bangladesh has to do with Geography, Pakistani Punjab, like its India counterpart is a fertile region feed by the Himalayan melt water. On the other hand Bangladesh lies in a flood plain and large area of the country goes underwater during every monsoon. Global warming and the rising sea level is only making the situation worse for the country.

Another reason, Bangladesh is surrounded by India but its still reluctant to engage fully with India. The see-saw relationship that India and Bangladesh have doesn't help in trade between the two nations.

But I believe Bangladesh could still become the second largest economy, but it need to avoid extremist Islamism that seems to be spreading in the country. The current government looks like its taking the right steps though.

Galaxy

Country flag
Yes, Bangladesh would be south Asian power below bay of Bengal as per prediction. 8)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bangladeshis in another forum are convinced that it is so!!

As per their analysis, they have done better than India economically and Pakistan is no where in the reckoning!

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
East Pakistan had its economy battered due to loot committed by the west Pakistan, or more specifically, the Punjabi/sindhi elitists. This was one of the many reasons why there was such huge resentment against the west.

West pakistan on the other hand had hugely controlled the east's economy, would give very limited to east in terms of budgetary allocations. It is what is happening in balochistan as of date.

Pakistan is strategically located, and the army there has always wanted to play a big role, which had the west interested in them, and when dealing with the west, Pakistan has always looked to have some sort of economic assistance and concessions, in terms of aid, bailouts, amongst others.

Had it not been for the west/Saudis/MENA, Pakistan would have been a Zimbabwe long back.

Post '71, when Bangladesh was created, Pakistan's GDP was almost double the bangladesh's and it took Bangladesh to recover from the partition and early loss of their founding father.

Pakistan's economy of late is high on inflation, low on real growth, in contrast, bangladesh's economy reflects more real growth than inflation, since they have way less inflation in comparison to Pakistan. When calculating nominal GDP, you account for inflation as well, which means even though in numbers pakistan's gdp may be 176b usd to b'desh's 100b usd, in substance, the b'desh economy is on a lot firmer ground, than those figures show.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Bangladeshis are so good that in the other forum, they proved that they are making Tanks at home!

They are Asia's future!

Galaxy

Country flag
Bangladeshis in another forum are convinced that it is so!!

As per their analysis, they have done better than India economically and Pakistan is no where in the reckoning!
:lol:

I use to give thanks to you when you you use to reply those illiterate day-dreamers. Now since you are not active there, I have to try little harder these days against those day-dreamer Bangladeshis ;)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Not all countries are blessed with strategic location. But still countries do prosper. all it takes is the right policy. Bangladesh dabbled with religious extremism and military rule. Extremism is still a major issue. What also has to be of note that Bagladesh is 24 years younger than Pak and while it was with Pak, it got nothing from it.

Nothing is lost yet. I would certainly hope BDs dump religious extremism and concentrate on improving their country. It will help India no end. Perhaps all those illegal immigrants can go back too.

KS

Bye bye DFI
....If they are not devoured by the Bay of Bengal, yes.

Pathogen

@OP
I think the lack of interest in Bangladesh has to do with Geography, Pakistani Punjab, like its India counterpart is a fertile region feed by the Himalayan melt water. On the other hand Bangladesh lies in a flood plain and large area of the country goes underwater during every monsoon. Global warming and the rising sea level is only making the situation worse for the country.

Another reason, Bangladesh is surrounded by India but its still reluctant to engage fully with India. The see-saw relationship that India and Bangladesh have doesn't help in trade between the two nations.

But I believe Bangladesh could still become the second largest economy, but it need to avoid extremist Islamism that seems to be spreading in the country. The current government looks like its taking the right steps though.
I agree with the geography that Pakistan is "better" positioned on the map, But its not just geographic, Its also cultural, Take the Cricket match at Mohali, You had celebrities from both India and Pakistan at the event, It was sold out and not just that but the entire city was shut down and the VIPs were flying in on private jets and Prime ministers were coming in helicopters, A match between Bangladesh and India would never get that kind of attention, Take even the border crossings between Bangladesh and India, There is no "Wagah" like crossing that people throng to watch the opening and closing. It just seems that the international community and the South Asia region in general does not take Bangladesh seriously or it does not command the kind of respect it should be given.

Pakistan is like a regional swindler, First they fooled the British into creating Pakistan, Then they annexed Kashmir and wanted Jungadah , All the while they were stealing from Bangladesh jute and other natural resources, Now they want to lord over Afghanistan. Also Pakistan owes Bangladesh alot of money, I believe that Bangladesh should seek reparations and official apology from Pakistan for its wartime barbarity.

Pathogen

East Pakistan had its economy battered due to loot committed by the west Pakistan, or more specifically, the Punjabi/sindhi elitists. This was one of the many reasons why there was such huge resentment against the west.

West pakistan on the other hand had hugely controlled the east's economy, would give very limited to east in terms of budgetary allocations. It is what is happening in balochistan as of date.

Pakistan is strategically located, and the army there has always wanted to play a big role, which had the west interested in them, and when dealing with the west, Pakistan has always looked to have some sort of economic assistance and concessions, in terms of aid, bailouts, amongst others.

Had it not been for the west/Saudis/MENA, Pakistan would have been a Zimbabwe long back.

Post '71, when Bangladesh was created, Pakistan's GDP was almost double the bangladesh's and it took Bangladesh to recover from the partition and early loss of their founding father.

Pakistan's economy of late is high on inflation, low on real growth, in contrast, bangladesh's economy reflects more real growth than inflation, since they have way less inflation in comparison to Pakistan. When calculating nominal GDP, you account for inflation as well, which means even though in numbers pakistan's gdp may be 176b usd to b'desh's 100b usd, in substance, the b'desh economy is on a lot firmer ground, than those figures show.
Bangladesh economy is 117 bn, Pakistan 210 billon, I was saying that Bangladesh does not get the attention of world countries for some strange reason as you put it down to "strategic" location. Bangladesh is strategically located at the edge of South and South East Asia but nobody seems to take notice.

Also at the time of Independence Bangladesh had the larger population, So not only has Pakistan surpassed Bangladesh in population its people have twice as much money per capita. I also disagree with that Bengalis are flowing into India infact its the other way around with Biharis (Poorest state of India) flowing into Bangladesh.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
A match between Bangladesh and India would never get that kind of attention
1. Bangladesh cricket team is crappy
2. India-Pak matches have a different competitive level to it

Take even the border crossings between Bangladesh and India, There is no "Wagah" like crossing that people throng to watch the opening and closing.
No comment.....

It just seems that the international community and the South Asia region in general does not take Bangladesh seriously or it does not command the kind of respect it should be given.
It's a good thing Bangladesh has less nuisance value compared to Pakistan. If it become the center of extremism and instability, Im sure people will give more attention to Bangladesh

Bangladesh economy is 117 bn, Pakistan 210 billon, I was saying that Bangladesh does not get the attention of world countries for some strange reason as you put it down to "strategic" location. Bangladesh is strategically located at the edge of South and South East Asia but nobody seems to take notice.
Nope, Bangladesh is not strategically located. It's a crappy flood prone location. Pakistan on the other hand is located close to oil wells, and hence an integral part of the "Great Game"

I also disagree with that Bengalis are flowing into India infact its the other way around with Biharis (Poorest state of India) flowing into Bangladesh.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag

Also at the time of Independence Bangladesh had the larger population, So not only has Pakistan surpassed Bangladesh in population its people have twice as much money per capita. I also disagree with that Bengalis are flowing into India infact its the other way around with Biharis (Poorest state of India) flowing into Bangladesh.
I don't know whether you are Pakistani or Bangladeshi or from any other country. But what you said in bold part is completely wrong. There are around 10-20 Million illegal Bangladeshi living in India. Anyone can find these people in Assam, W.B., East Bihar and even cities like Delhi and Mumbai. Indians don't go to Bangladeshi. I only heard these from few idiot day-dreamer Bangladeshi on some other forum just to counter the allegation.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Bangladesh economy is 117 bn, Pakistan 210 billon
that is precisely what i was pointing to:

2009-10

Pakistan GDP- 176b usd.
b'desh- 100b usd.

2010-11

Pakistan: real growth -2.2%, inflation - 16%
b'desh: real growth - 6.7%, inflation - 8.8%

and so one gets that figure of 117, and 210.

it is how pakistan's gdp has grown. they better thank inflation :lol:

I was saying that Bangladesh does not get the attention of world countries for some strange reason as you put it down to "strategic" location. Bangladesh is strategically located at the edge of South and South East Asia but nobody seems to take notice.

no, b'desh isnt as strategically located as pakistan.

pakistan gives you access to ME/CAR/SA, where as b'desh is confined to india.

where does one derive per capita from?

again inflation factors in, and it reflects in population below poverty line:

pakistan - 32%
b'desh - 27%

the numbers in pakistan will further increase when the 2011 figures are out since pakistan was riding on 16% inflation rate to bangladesh's 8.8%.

bangladesh is doing just fine. it is not bangladesh that was partitioned in '71 or where balochistan is happening!

Pathogen

I don't know whether you are Pakistani or Bangladeshi or from any other country. But what you said in bold part is completely wrong. There are around 10-20 Million illegal Bangladeshi living in India. Anyone can find these people in Assam, W.B., East Bihar and even cities like Delhi and Mumbai. Indians don't go to Bangladeshi. I only heard these from few idiot day-dreamer Bangladeshi on some other forum just to counter the allegation.
There is a large ammount of Biharis in Bangladesh and they came from Bihar which is in India, Bihar like I said is the poorest state of India so it makes sense for them to go to Bangladesh where there economy is better.

Lastly Bangladesh IS strategically located, Alot of Bangladesh not getting the recognition it deserves is because people do not realize this fact. Also I can tell you that Bangladesh people have alot of goodwill towards India but Indians seem to look down upon Bengalis as being "dirty" or "inferior" much like they were viewed by West Pakistani occupiers. History seems to repeat itself.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
@ Pathogens

You have very poor knowledge about the issue.

What did you mean by 'Bengalis are pouring in India...."...You totally forgot 8 crore + Bengali in West Bengal. Better term you should use 'Bangladeshi' for the people of BD.

Significant number of Biharis went to East Pakistan (now BD) during partition in 1947. They supported opressive pakistani regime during 1971 war; naturally become unwanted elements in Bangladesh later. It is no way Biharis from Present day India are going to India. They have better place to go in India (including Kolkata) for a living than BD which does not provide much opportunity.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
There is a large ammount of Biharis in Bangladesh and they came from Bihar which is in India, Bihar like I said is the poorest state of India so it makes sense for them to go to Bangladesh where there economy is better.

Lastly Bangladesh IS strategically located, Alot of Bangladesh not getting the recognition it deserves is because people do not realize this fact. Also I can tell you that Bangladesh people have alot of goodwill towards India but Indians seem to look down upon Bengalis as being "dirty" or "inferior" much like they were viewed by West Pakistani occupiers. History seems to repeat itself.
How can a country be strategically located which is surrounded by its neighbour from three sides. Only strategic gain BD can have by giving India aroute to N-E which it does not give.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
There is a large ammount of Biharis in Bangladesh and they came from Bihar which is in India, Bihar like I said is the poorest state of India so it makes sense for them to go to Bangladesh where there economy is better. .
No, Biharis tend to got to other prosperous states of India, not to another piss poor state/country.

Lastly Bangladesh IS strategically located, Alot of Bangladesh not getting the recognition it deserves is because people do not realize this fact.
No it isn't.

Also I can tell you that Bangladesh people have alot of goodwill towards India but Indians seem to look down upon Bengalis as being "dirty" or "inferior" much like they were viewed by West Pakistani occupiers. History seems to repeat itself.
Bangladeshis have an inferiority complex then. btw you should replace "bengali" with "bangladeshi"

Pathogen

@ Pathogens

You have very poor knowledge about the issue.

What did you mean by 'Bengalis are pouring in India...."...You totally forgot 8 crore + Bengali in West Bengal. Better term you should use 'Bangladeshi' for the people of BD.

Significant number of Biharis went to East Pakistan (now BD) during partition in 1947. They supported opressive pakistani regime during 1971 war; naturally become unwanted elements in Bangladesh later. It is no way Biharis from Present day India are going to India. They have better place to go in India (includinh Kolkata) for a living than BD which does not provide much opportunity.
You are talking about "Stranded Pakistanis" or "Pakistan Loyalists" who supported Pakistan during the Independence War, They live in refugee camps, Im speaking specifically of Indian Biharis of the modern day and age going to Bangladesh, Because Bihar is the poorest state of India, Bangladesh is the closet place for them to go. Eastern Part of South Asia is generally speaking the more underdeveloped of South Asia.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles