Backlash over Quran distribution campaign in Germany

Son of Govinda

Backlash over Quran distribution campaign in Germany - The National

BERLIN // A Muslim businessman wants to convert Germans to Islam by distributing 25 million free copies of the Quran in a project that is being criticised by politicians, the security authorities and leaders of the Muslim community.

Palestinian-born Ibrahim Abou Nagie, 47, said he has already handed out more than 300,000 copies at stalls set up in major cities as "a present from the Muslims to their neighbours". The campaign is called "Read! In the Name of the Lord Who Created You".

He launched the project in November but only began attracting nationwide media attention last week because he stepped up distribution during the Christian holiday of Easter.

Germany's domestic intelligence agency has warned that the project is not as harmless as it sounds and called Mr Nagie a prominent exponent of Salafism, an ultraconservative branch of Islam.

He is being investigated by state prosecutors for allegedly inciting violence and denigrating other religions.

His campaign has also brought criticism from the Central Council of Muslims in Germany. Its chairman, Aiman Mazyek, said: "The Quran isn't a PR pamphlet or brochure you distribute as mass produce." He added that there was a danger that copies of the Quran could get thrown away and recycled.

His campaign has also brought criticism from the Central Council of Muslims in Germany. Its chairman, Aiman Mazyek, said: "The Quran isn't a PR pamphlet or brochure you distribute as mass produce." He added that there was a danger that copies of the Quran could get thrown away and recycled.

Mr Nagie has given speeches urging followers to "die as martyrs" and saying non-believers will "go to hell forever". Investigators regard his website, The True Religion, as a hub for radical Islamists on the internet.

Mr Nagie moved to Germany from the Gaza Strip when he was 18 and studied electrical engineering in the western city of Iserlohn. He made his fortune selling self-adhesive foils and decided in 2003 to devote his life to Islam and studied the Quran, he told Kölner Stadtanzeiger, a Cologne newspaper, in an interview published on Thursday.

"This is about Salafist propaganda and recruiting supporters," said a spokesman for the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution, the domestic intelligence agency, on Friday. "The Quran is just a vehicle." The head of the agency, Heinz Fromm, said last year: "Not every Salafist is a terrorist. But every terrorist known to us at some point had Salafist connections."

Mr Nagie's project has confronted German authorities with a problem because the distribution of Qurans is perfectly legal, and any steps to halt it could be construed as anti-Islamic. In addition, the German translation being handed out is completely innocuous and contains no Salafist commentary or interpretations, officials say.

The controversy is a public-relations coup for Mr Nagie, who has little hope at least in the near future of distributing 25 million copies because the German printing company, deterred by the public criticism, has cancelled the contract after delivering more than 300,000 copies.

Süddeutsche Zeitung, a centre-left newspaper commented on Thursday that the project was a cynical PR stunt. "It makes the sect look far bigger, more significant and threatening than it is - and thereby more attractive to the real target of the campaign: young people who aren't sure of themselves and who could be receptive to a seductively simple division of the complicated world in friend and enemy, good and bad, halal and haram, as offered by the Islamists."

The debate also risks fanning public prejudice against Germany's wider Muslim community, even though there are just 3,800 Salafists in Germany, according to an estimate of the domestic intelligence agency - less than 0.1 per cent of the country's four million Muslims.

Professor Rauf Ceylan, an expert on Islam at the University of Osnabrück, said: "Salafism is a fundamentalist movement of Islam which is very backward and tries to establish a society which is also very backward, which is anti-democratic and whose theory runs counter to the views of most Muslims."

Members of the conservative Christian Democratic Union party of Angela Merkel, the chancellor, called on authorities to keep a close watch on the distribution and to clamp down on the activities of Salafists in Germany.

The leader of the Greens party, Cem Özdemir, a secular Muslim, said: "I have a problem with all religious groups in Germany that place their ideology above the constitution and human rights. That also applies to those Salafists who call for violence and whose ideology feeds Islamist terrorism with keywords."

"It is evident that the stunt is aimed at portraying oneself as the voice of the Muslims, as the supposedly only true Islam. The Salafists mustn't be allowed to get away with that."

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Germans don't need to be burning books.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
simple solutions ask some christian businessmen to freely distribute an equal or more bibles to everbody why make so much fuss of it

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Every action triggers an equal and opposing reaction.

And people wonder why Muslim community is viewed with suspicion in the entire world.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Islam is spreading in Europe real fast.

That is why the European Govts are worried.

It will destroy, as possibly they feel, the European (not necessarily Christian) way of life, and instead being in an alien form of existence.

No one wants a drastic change to happen to their lives.

Hence, the issue?

pmaitra

Germany is no stranger to German-Turkish brawls and more.

German support for an independent Kosovo notwithstanding, there's isn't an overflowing of love for the Turks in Germany. It is a tinderbox. I can assure you, the German government often obfuscates the truth about German opinion and sentiments.

In the two cases I mentioned, religion does play a major role.

lcatejas

Its completely a christian missionary way... :lol: ...what they do in India ...

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Its completely a christian missionary way... :lol: ...what they do in India ...
Let's look at ti this way.

If Christianity cannot be propagated in most Muslim countries or Churches not allowed, why grudge the Germans from doing the same?

The Turks are required as the labour force, but of late, they have become fundamentalist in thought and deed.

Scary for the Germans.

Son of Govinda

Let's look at ti this way.

If Christianity cannot be propagated in most Muslim countries or Churches not allowed, why grudge the Germans from doing the same?

The Turks are required as the labour force, but of late, they have become fundamentalist in thought and deed.

Scary for the Germans.
From my time of living in Deutschland, I can honestly say that this isn't a religious problem.

Germans are very tolerant of foreign spirituality, but fundamental Islam is something completely contrary to the German way of life. The majority of muslims in Germany still refuse to integrate with other Germans, and that's the problem.

Also Germany doesn't need those Turkish guest workers anymore, they were only required when the economy was still developing. Germany has tried to get rid of them many times but they refuse to leave. That's why Germany refuses to allow any more guest workers and made it's immigration policies more strict.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
SoG,

That is right.

The latest I heard from Germany is that the Turks are making themselves a nuisance.

The danger is that the neo Nazis will be encouraged further to disrupt the fragile harmony.

The Germans seem to be going overboard and making their distaste a bit too public!

Merkel honours Danish Muhammad cartoonist Westergaard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11236158

Last edited:

amitkriit

SoG,

That is right.

The latest I heard from Germany is that the Turks are making themselves a nuisance.

The danger is that the neo Nazis will be encouraged further to disrupt the fragile harmony.
Term them Nazis, Zionists, Saffron brigades etc, all these groups have one thing in common in modern world, all of them are reactionary in nature and they just wish to preserve their culture and the way of life under assault from an alien which doesn't wish to become one of their own.

parijataka

Country flag
Every action triggers an equal and opposing reaction.

And people wonder why Muslim community is viewed with suspicion in the entire world.
Hmmmm...why this prejudice against Muslims doing Dawa. Christians are doing the same in Asia and Africa in a much more systematic manner. I am much more likely to be confronted by an evangelist at a bus stand in my town promising to show me `swargakke dari` (way to heaven in Kannada) than a German by a Quran weilding Muslim. I am glad Europe is getting it back from Islam. Far too long have they tried to `civilise` pagan Hindus, Buddhists, etc.

Christianisation was described as the third force of colonialisation by Jomo Kenyatta, the kenyan leader, who said: "When the white man came he had the bible we had the land. Then he said 'let us close our eyes and pray'. When we opened our eyes we had the bible he had the land."

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When the Missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible. They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the land and we had the Bible.

Jomo Kenyatta, reported in John Frederick Walker, A Certain Curve of Horn: The Hundred-Year Quest for the Giant Sable Antelope of Angola (2004), p. 144; also attributed to Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

parijataka

Country flag
Islam is spreading in Europe real fast.

That is why the European Govts are worried.

It will destroy, as possibly they feel, the European (not necessarily Christian) way of life, and instead being in an alien form of existence.

No one wants a drastic change to happen to their lives.

Hence, the issue?
Mr Nagie has given speeches urging followers to "die as martyrs" and saying non-believers will "go to hell forever". Investigators regard his website, The True Religion, as a hub for radical Islamists on the internet.
Well, the friendly neighbourhood evangelists here tell me similar tales of how I as a Hindu am worshipping Satan and will go to Hell forever unless I accept Jesus and follow The True Religion...:p

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Hmmmm...why this prejudice against Muslims doing Dawa. Christians are doing the same in Asia and Africa in a much more systematic manner. I am much more likely to be confronted by an evangelist at a bus stand in my town promising to show me `swargakke dari` (way to heaven in Kannada) than a German by a Quran weilding Muslim. I am glad Europe is getting it back from Islam. Far too long have they tried to `civilise` pagan Hindus, Buddhists, etc.

Christianisation was described as the third force of colonialisation by Jomo Kenyatta, the kenyan leader, who said: "When the white man came he had the bible we had the land. Then he said 'let us close our eyes and pray'. When we opened our eyes we had the bible he had the land."
Nah, just kidding. That principle works everywhere, even in India. All suckulars need to do is suck. That is all, the rest as i said will have its repercursions(action - reaction;)):D

And again, take it this way- Karma is a Bitch :fyeah:. They Christianised the world, now the they are getting Islamised:D.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Well, the friendly neighbourhood evangelists here tell me similar tales of how I as a Hindu am worshipping Satan and will go to Hell forever unless I accept Jesus and follow The True Religion...:p
Funny , a [edited] who was just 18 yrs old, just a regular student by profession(not even a missionary yet:p), told me the same only to get my "very friendly, not at all abusive response" from me in return:laugh::lol:

Son of Govinda

The Europeans are just victims of Christianization themselves. Germanics were true pagans just like Hindus or Iranians until some stupid Roman missionaries began their sneaky conversion tactics. They converted the Germanic elite first, so that the leaders would force Christianity upon their people. This is exactly how Rome was Christianized as well.

It's just an endless wave of people forcing Christianity on one another. Christianity truly is an alien religion to everyone except Jews and other semitic people.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
SoG,

That is right.

The Germans seem to be going overboard and making their distaste a bit too public!

Merkel honours Danish Muhammad cartoonist Westergaard

BBC News - Merkel honours Danish Muhammad cartoonist Westergaard
So i am beginning to think only India has no ball to confront those pigs trying to destroy its culture. Way to go Germany:thumb:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The Europeans are just victims of Christianization themselves. Germanics were true pagans just like Hindus or Iranians until some stupid Roman missionaries began their sneaky conversion tactics. They converted the Germanic elite first, so that the leaders would force Christianity upon their people. This is exactly how Rome was Christianized as well.

It's just an endless wave of people forcing Christianity on one another. Christianity truly is an alien religion to everyone except Jews and other semitic people.
Tell that to our suckulars and evangelicals they will eat you raw and will crucify you as a Saffron , Nazi, Zionist terrorist :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles