Back from Interstellar IMAX, and...

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Back from Interstellar, and here's my coin-purse:
  • It's a very Gene Roddenberry styled story. Roddenberry loved to play with temporal paradoxes and causality loops. There's no need to overanalyse it by pulling in Stephen Hawking-styled theoretical physics. The black-hole and the hyper-space realm inside it are just a plot device. It's meant to be a human construct. There's no metaphysics in any of it.
  • Nolan tried too hard to create a Spielberg-styled magnum-opus, but that's where he faltered. Too much time is spent on creating grandeur, and the audience' attention-span is stretched. Nolan should have stuck to his own quick-paced storytelling, which he used in Inception, and let the audience (at least the smarter ones in it), figure things out, rather than trying so hard to explain things. People who don't understand it, can't be deep-throated a crash-course in astrophysics. To them it will all remain Treknobabble, even after a lengthy in-movie explanation. Leave them to figure out how things fell in place using their own limited understanding, and if it peaks their curiosity, point them to mostly non-violent scifi drama like Star Trek. Hans Zimmer score sounded very pretentious, and something I've heard in some or the other Spielberg flick, by the likes of Goldsmith.
  • Quite a few impossibrus. An Earth-like planet that close to a black-hole simply cannot exist. Nor can a solar-powered jet engine (on that drone), jet engines spit out matter as a means of propulsion. Then there's the causality-loop.
  • The final act flew by at warp 9.9, which is what you get when you waste too much time on creating hollow-grandeur.
In all, this the worst Nolan-flick I watched. Heck, even The Prestige was better.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles