Babri Masjid was a Buddhist shrine ?

pmaitra

wait

Ayodhya pronunciation (help·info) (Sanskrit: अयोध्या, Urdu: ایودھیا, IAST Ayodhyā) is an ancient city of India in the Faizabad district of Uttar Pradesh. In a result of rapid settlement and development Ayodhya has been merged to Faizabad city. Ayodhya is described as the birth place of the Hindu Bhagwan (God) Rama and Bhagwan Swaminarayan. It used to be the capital of the ancient Kosala Kingdom. This Hindu holy city is described as early as in the Hindu Epics. Ayodhya has an average elevation of 93 metres (305 feet).

The name comes from the Sanskrit root yudh, meaning "fight" or "wage war," and it translates to either "not to be fought" or, less literally, "unconquerable." During the time of Gautama Buddha the city was called Ayojjhā in Pali and Ayodhyā in Sanskrit.

Kosala kingdom

Kosala Proper or Uttara Kosala is the kingdom of the celebrated personality of Treta Yuga, Raghava Rama. Ayodhya was its capital, presently in Faizabad district, Uttar Pradesh. Rama's sons Lava and Kusha inherited parts of this kingdom. Lava ruled from the city called Sravasti and Kusa from the city called Kushavati. A colony of Kosala kings existed in Madhya Pradesh. It was called Dakshina Kosala. Rama's mother Kausalya was from this kingdom. King Rama extended his influence up to the island-kingdom of Lanka situated in the southern ocean. He had friendly relations with the southern kingdom of forest dwellers (Vanaras) called Kishkindha.

Kosala kingdom came under control of Asoka the great hence it was a Buddist city!
No worries mate. Buddha is one of the avatars of Lord Vishnu.

In any event, Ashoka was Hindu and converted to Buddhism and sent missionaries but never forced his subjects to become Buddhists and India still remain predominantly Hindu.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Buddhism was most popular in the subcontinent in the period between the fall of the Mauryas and the rise of the Guptas, i.e. between roughly 200 B.C.E. and 350 C.E. During this time Buddhism may have very well been the dominant religion, though it should be kept in mind that Buddhism as a religion was highly flexible and had many different forms, and that there was widespread syncretism with not only Hinduism but also with Zoroastrianism, Hellenism, and other religions. The latter can be seen in the remarkable works of the Greco-Bactrians and the Kushanas.

@Topic

It is highly unlikely that there was a Buddhist shrine at Ayodhya which predates a Hindu one.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Whatever.

All I know (and some learned Muslim can correct me), once a Mosque is defiled, one cannot pray in such a Mosque.

By Muslim standards, the installation of the Ram Lalla (I think that is what it is called), the Mosque has been defiled!

Galaxy

Country flag
Whatever.

All I know (and some learned Muslim can correct me), once a Mosque is defiled, one cannot pray in such a Mosque.

By Muslim standards, the installation of the Ram Lalla (I think that is what it is called), the Mosque has been defiled!
Beside Ayodhya, Kashi Vishwanath Temple and Lord Krishna Temple of Mathura too. I think both are defiled too ?

3 time Temple was destroyed and Mosque was build in same place. 4th time, Mosque was build by Aurangzeb on both places but half of them were taken back to build half temple again in 17th century during Maratha period. 50% remained as Mosque till date and that specifically 50% was birth place of Lord Krishna and 1 of the 12 Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva respectively.

Recently, I visited Mathura temple where i saw 50% Mosque and 50% Temple in same compound. The exact birth place of Lord Krishna is mosque today. So, we have to worship in front of Mosque. Muslims still going to that mosque for prayers inspite there are 100's of more mosque in same district but Birth place of Lord Krishna is only one. Although gate for Muslims was shifted from backside.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I have also seen the temples.

They coexist.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Which came first, chicken or the egg?

It is plain ridiculous to think a Buddhist shrine came before a temple. May be Asoka razed down a temple to make a Buddhist shrine?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Temple Hindu or Buddhist or Mosque, it appears that the site is jinxed and anything that goes up there is destined to come down.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Temple Hindu or Buddhist or Mosque, it appears that the site is jinxed and anything that goes up there is destined to come down.
If I was the dictator of India I would burn everything in that site and erect a giant indestructible stone lingam to commemorate my masculine supremacy.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Which came first, chicken or the egg?
The literal scientific answer is that the egg came first.

It is plain ridiculous to think a Buddhist shrine came before a temple. May be Asoka razed down a temple to make a Buddhist shrine?
Although it is unlikely that Asoka razed down any temples to build the many Buddhist shrines that he is given credit for, there may have very well been considerable tension between Asoka and the Hindu brahmins after the spectacle of Kalinga. After all, Asoka was a Kshatriya who rejected his own varna dharma by refusing to fight and inflict misery. To reject one's own dharma is one of the worst things that can be done in orthodox Hinduism.

Last edited:

niharjhatn

Buddhism was most popular in the subcontinent in the period between the fall of the Mauryas and the rise of the Guptas, i.e. between roughly 200 B.C.E. and 350 C.E. During this time Buddhism may have very well been the dominant religion, though it should be kept in mind that Buddhism as a religion was highly flexible and had many different forms, and that there was widespread syncretism with not only Hinduism but also with Zoroastrianism, Hellenism, and other religions. The latter can be seen in the remarkable works of the Greco-Bactrians and the Kushanas.

@Topic

It is highly unlikely that there was a Buddhist shrine at Ayodhya which predates a Hindu one.
Civ, what was the extent of the Greco-Indian empires?

Were there any competing empires in the same period?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Civ, what was the extent of the Greco-Indian empires?

Were there any competing empires in the same period?
The Indo-Greek Kingdoms were located in modern-day Afghanistan and Panjab, though their cultural influence extended much further into the subcontinent. They were established shortly after the collapse of the Mauryas, so there was no powerful indigenous empire to compete with them. Ultimately they were destroyed by invasions of Sakas (Scythians) from Central Asia.

HeinzGud

Country flag
The result of the 2003 survey on the Ayodya Babri mosque site.

Period 1000BC to 300BC:
The findings suggest that a Northern Black Polished Ware (NBPW) culture existed at the mosque site between 1000 BC and 300 BC. A round signet with a legend in [[Asokan Brahmi]], terracotta figurines of female deities with archaic features, beads of terracotta and glass, wheels and fragments of votive tanks have been found.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_of_Ayodhya#cite_note-pioneer-5[/SUP]

Sunga Period. 200 BC:

Typical terracotta mother goddess, human and animal figurines, beads, hairpins, pottery (includes black slipped, red and grey wares), and stone and brick structures of the Sunga period have been found.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_of_Ayodhya#cite_note-pioneer-5[/SUP]

Kushan period. 100-300 AD:

Terracotta human and animal figurines, fragments of votive tanks, beads, bangle fragments, ceramics with red ware and large-sized structures running into twenty-two courses have been found from this level.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_of_Ayodhya#cite_note-pioneer-5[/SUP]

Gupta era (400-600 AD) and post-Gupta era:

Typical terracotta figurines, a copper coin with the legend Sri Chandra (Gupta), and illustrative potsherds of the Gupta period have been found. A circular brick shrine with an entrance from the east and a provision for a water-chute on the northern wall have also been found.[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_of_Ayodhya#cite_note-pioneer-5[/SUP]

11th to 12th century:

A huge structure of almost fifty metres in north-south orientation have been found on this level. Only four of the fifty pillar bases belong to this level. Above this lay a structure with at least three structural phases which had a huge pillared hall.

These findings indicate that the site was located well within the boundaries of 3 great Buddhist (Asoka, Kushan and Gupta) empires. Therefore it is reasonable to believe that Ayodya was a Buddhist city. Hence the debated city could have been a Buddhist monastery or a scared site later claimed by Hindus and much later by Muslims.

BTW no one can be certain about the actual birth place of a deity.

Archaeology of Ayodhya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Galaxy

Country flag
^^^^^

Where it is mentioned, It could be Buddhist shrine ??

You are nothing but troller. :lol:

Galaxy

Country flag
well prove ayodya is the birth place of the RAMA prove it!
So, If anyone doesn't prove it's birth place of Rama, It become Buddhist Shrine ?? :facepalm:

BTW, Lord Rama and Gautam Buddha both are Avatars of Lord Vishnu. King Ashoka was Hindu who become Buddhist. He didn't indulged in anything against Hindu otherwise he would not been King for long period under Brahmin dominance.

Anyways, It's been proved.

Archaeology of Ayodhya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

lcatejas

Again it will give chance to RPI and our stupid politicians for new Buddha memorial...i guess school and hospitals are most imp than memorials....

Galaxy

Country flag
^^

No one saying Buddhist shrine. It's troll thread started by troller deliberately.

BTW, There are 100,000's of Schools/Hospitals in India but Birth place of Ram is only 1. So, No compromise !!

Kind spare Birth place of Lord Rama, Lord Krishna and 1 of the 12 Jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva from your intellectual philposhy.

Last edited:

lemontree

Professional
A temple existed on the site of the the Babri mosque, the evidence for which was found from the debri of the destroyed mosque. The hindus had to keep quite as they were under muslim rule till 1858. After the British took over, the hindus laid claim to their holy site.

A temple should be rightfully built there.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles